What was today's Sling project-Mods , goodies....?

• I have never seen these hood buttons before. If you have written this up in a previous thread can you reference that for me? Or perhaps when you get a chance elaborate on them please.

Might try here SoCal . If that doesn't take you there search "hood buttons".

Hood Pins

:BLUESS:
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    ~Mark Twain~

• Keeping in mind a possible new model purchase within a year or two keeping modifications on the low end. The stock steering wheel has a hard feel and low grip. I had some cork tape in the garage typically used on bicycle handlebars. I thought it might do the stock steering wheel some good. Luckily it was blue & black, Same as my sling! Turns out the amount I had was just short of what I needed so I had to fill the gap with black electrical tape. Not what I wanted and probably should have ordered more cork tape but it was no cost as all materials were sitting around. I took a ride today and it has a great feel!

• Keeping in mind a possible new model purchase within a year or two keeping modifications on the low end. The stock steering wheel has a hard feel and low grip. I had some cork tape in the garage typically used on bicycle handlebars. I thought it might do the stock steering wheel some good. Luckily it was blue & black, Same as my sling! Turns out the amount I had was just short of what I needed so I had to fill the gap with black electrical tape. Not what I wanted and probably should have ordered more cork tape but it was no cost as all materials were sitting around. I took a ride today and it has a great feel!

I like it - looks very retro... 👌

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• I have never seen these hood buttons before. If you have written this up in a previous thread can you reference that for me? Or perhaps when you get a chance elaborate on them please.

One of the best mods yet. So much easier and smoother than the push buttons. They are locked or they are open no guessing and no wearing out the pins. Hood is locked down solid with no movement. Again you have to cut into the hood which once started there is no turning back

• One of the best mods yet. So much easier and smoother than the push buttons. They are locked or they are open no guessing and no wearing out the pins. Hood is locked down solid with no movement. Again you have to cut into the hood which once started there is no turning back

ooooooookey nice but I’m gunna need a little more than that my friend. WHAT are they brand wise??? Who has em’ ?

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• SoCal i dont think so as in slingshot specific. rabtech was the pioneer of installing these i just copied him. I had the push pins and wore out my second pair as if they had just the slightest movement the ball gets worn and it wont hold.

yes I am now seeing the threads as at Rob the Slob pointed me in that direction. Did you drill a hole from the underside straight up on that metal plate by the turn signal and then use that hole as your reference point going up through the hood?

Edited once, last by SoCal ().

• yes I am now seeing the threads as at @Robtheslob pointed me in that direction. Did you drill a hole from the underside straight up on that metal plate by the turn signal and then use that hole as your reference point going up through the hood?

yes thats how i did mine. A small drill hole from underside then laid the template from the latches on the top and began cutting it to fit

• It latches the hood down so it absolutley can not come up. I got tired of my hood popping loose from the ball type pins at high speeds. You dont want the hood to even shake a little when you start approaching speeds over 130mph. I can tell you for a fact they hold it down and the hood doesnt even wiggle at 152 mph.

The kit goes on right where the hood bumper is normally located. I believe you just have to remove the stock hood bumper. Then drill and tap the threads. And screw in the new pin. Then align the latch and cut the hole...

I will be changing my screws out next week. I didnt notice they were starting to rust.

• rabtechHUMMM not a problem for me at this time8|

When going through Palm Springs and Cabazon with sometimes 70+ MPH winds it gets a little crazy. The hood starts dancing in ways that make me wish I had the pins. This set up looks bullet proof and solid.

Thank your for all the info and all the pictures too!

Edited once, last by SoCal ().

• rabtech - this is our first conversation on the site.

A great big THANK YOU for putting this all together. It is such a bright spot in my life being connected to all the expertise of others and their slings. But most of all the good natured give and take and camaraderie that exists here is rare to say the least. Well done and so appreciate you making this possible for all of us!

• SoCal the pins you referenced are different than the ones tha rabtech and myself have used. Not saying they won't work but different setup for sure. Here are the ones I used

And yes I purchased replacement screws in stainless due to the idea of them rusting and also with the need of longer than supplied anyways so just went ahead with going with stainless.