spare wheel and tire

• As many of you already know I have a 2016 SL and I am running with the stock 20 and 18 inch wheels and stock tire sizes. Perhaps this has been asked before and I just missed it, but I would like to know if it would be reasonable / possible to set up a wheel and tire to keep as a spare that could be used on either the front or rear just long enough to get the slingshot home if I got a flat? I was thinking I could just have it in the garage in case I needed it and then if I did have a tire issue I could have someone bring it to me so that I didnt have to get the slingshot towed

Is this something anyone here has done? preferably it would be some skinny inexpensive tire on some cheep steel wheel - just needs to fit and be drive able for under 100 miles max

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I never had much luck plugging tires

and are the little co2 cartridges really enough for our slingshot tires?

• Plug kit with CO2 inflator, it stores nicely under the roll hoop bump.

Thanks Red! I wasn't even aware there was space under the roll hoop bump. Pics truly are worth a thousand words... lol

This is an awesome forum - I learn something new every day! 😊

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• I've got the green slime kit too. I figure it will get me 25 to 50 miles to a service station. I've never ridden so far into the boonies that a slime kit wouldn't at least get me into cell phone range to call for help.

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• even if a patch kit would be nice I think it would still be worth considering having a spare wheel and tire. Not all flats are fixable and with 90% of my Sling riding right here in the valley having an 18 inch wheel and tire that would fit both the front and back that someone could bring to me would be much more to my liking that having to have it towed to my house

• even if a patch kit would be nice I think it would still be worth considering having a spare wheel and tire. Not all flats are fixable and with 90% of my Sling riding right here in the valley having an 18 inch wheel and tire that would fit both the front and back that someone could bring to me would be much more to my liking that having to have it towed to my house

Is anyone in your area upgrading wheels and tires??? Could get one or more pretty cheap...

• I have my 3 original tires still in my shop, from the base sling, so 17's on the front and an 18 on the back. The rear should work for me over the wilwood calipers.

I don't carry a repair kit, probably should get one.

Red have you used that Pit Posse repair kit? They say it's only for motorcyles, so probably not enough CO2 to fill one of our tires, but possibly enough to limp along, so curious if anyone has used one on a car?

• So, what you're saying is, it's a good idea to carry a tire repair kit under the roll hoop and a screwdriver in the glove box... lol 👌

Wound't hurt.....I Keep my insurance card and registration in the roll hoop....What i did was drill though the heads of the screws and put a clip through them so i can unscrew them by hand...

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......

• I have a plug kit and can of fix a flat

I also bought a brand new set of factory wheels and tires off the internet for $540 plus a set of double bubbles shipped for free.

Depending on if the tire is still whole and just has a nail in it I wouldn’t be afraid to drive on it. The tires have Rim protectors built in to the side walls.

I drove my motorcycle 15 miles at 3:00 AM on a flat back tire with no tire damage, no tube damage and no rim damage. I expected damage so I was amazed when there was none.

What I wouldn't do is leave it anywhere on the side of the road. And first and foremost you must think about your situation and personal safety.

if it’s between a tire and wheel or death I pick tire and wheel can be replaced.

• As many of you already know I have a 2016 SL and I am running with the stock 20 and 18 inch wheels and stock tire sizes. Perhaps this has been asked before and I just missed it, but I would like to know if it would be reasonable / possible to set up a wheel and tire to keep as a spare that could be used on either the front or rear just long enough to get the slingshot home if I got a flat? I was thinking I could just have it in the garage in case I needed it and then if I did have a tire issue I could have someone bring it to me so that I didnt have to get the slingshot towed

Is this something anyone here has done? preferably it would be some skinny inexpensive tire on some cheep steel wheel - just needs to fit and be drive able for under 100 miles max

I would find one of the stock 18" wheels. The front offset is only 3mm difference from the rear so there will be no rubbing issues. That way if you get a flat it will work on any spot where if you got an extra 20" wheel, while it would work in any spot if you had a 20 on one front and on the rear it may drive a little funny or possibly piss off the PCM. I'm sure it would still drive but you may get a CEL for something but I cannot confirm that. But in my opinion an 18" would be the best option if you were keeping something as a back up.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• I have locking nuts...so I keep a socket to fit the key and a large breaker bar.

even if the tire plug you install leaks a little....it’s slowed it down enough to drive on...the garage can do a real fix...

I definitely won’t stop on the side of a busy highway (or any road) to change a tire....that tire is going to be driven on to put myself in a safe place...nobody’s paying attention and everyone is speeding....especially at night.....you need to find a well lit area.

that’s the reason I bought the tire pressure monitors for my SS....I can see the real tire pressure sitting in my recliner...and while I’m driving.....it’s on my cell phone.

• I have locking nuts...so I keep a socket to fit the key and a large breaker bar.

even if the tire plug you install leaks a little....it’s slowed it down enough to drive on...the garage can do a real fix...

I definitely won’t stop on the side of a busy highway (or any road) to change a tire....that tire is going to be driven on to put myself in a safe place...nobody’s paying attention and everyone is speeding....especially at night.....you need to find a well lit area.

that’s the reason I bought the tire pressure monitors for my SS....I can see the real tire pressure sitting in my recliner...and while I’m driving.....it’s on my cell phone.

I check my tire pressures usually once a week or 2 in both my wifes car and the slingshot. Wifes car has the tire pressure system built in - only times it has come on when out on the road was when the tire almost instantly went flat - - - I almost always catch any slow leaks long before the system warning lights would come on, only takes a few minutes to check things and the compressor is right in the garage ready to go at a moments notice

• usually having a flat tire doesn’t happen in your driveway or at the tire shop....

I was assuming you were talking about getting a flat on the highway far from home.

if you can find/see the nail in your tire and it’s on the tread and can be patched and still usable after a repair.....you might not want to drive on it....if it’s in an unrepairable part of the tire like the sidewall, I would drive on it because it’s already junk. Girlfriend just had a nail in her tire where if makes the curve from the tread to the side all.....the tire shop junked it.....there is too much flexing from there to the sidewall to make patching viable. Another time a sidewall had a slit in it...probably from hitting the edge of a pot hole. That was clearly junk.

another issue she had was.....while she was a short distance away from a tire repair shop.....they didn’t sell the brand of tires she had......so to get the new replace tire she had to drive 20 miles to get to the tire shop to match her tires.

you would still have to drive slowly and make gradual turns if it’s a front tire to not throw it off the rim.

patches only work between the red lines where the tire contacts the road surface....above the red lines is a no-no....

patched tires should only be used on the rear of a vehicle for safety reasons...while patched tires are ok to use they have been compromised. Only holes of a certain size can be patched even on the “flat” (contact between the red lines) area, because even that area flexes. They also recommend staying at lower speeds with a patched tire.

The bottom line is....if you don’t have a local tire dealer that has the tires you are using.....having a spare to match on hand is a very good idea.

One of the biggest issues about driving the SS is not being able to carry spare tires..

• Actually Bigdog I am thinking about getting a flat on my daily commute here in the valley - remember my Slingshot is my daily driver and as such most of my driving and where I would likely get a flat would be under 20 miles from my home - - as such it would be very easy for someone to throw a wheel/tire in a car and bring it to me

I have AAA with the added motorcycle / RV rider so if I were further from home I would just call them for a tow

Interestingly in the last several years I have only had to deal with 2 flats. both of those were on my wife's Chevy Spark which like the Slingshot does not have a spare tire - - unfortunately in both cases the tire could not be fixed and in both cases the tire fix kit that comes with the spark did not work

One of the things I like most about the new Volvo we just got for her is that it has a real spare tire :thumbsup: