• Now our experience with installing a roof on the SlingShot is quite the opposite from most other folks, where the top in the summer time tends to hold in the heat more. ...

You don't get any relief via the shade provided by the top? It always felt like it wasn't too hot, temperature wise, I just needed to get out of the direct sunlight...

• You don't get any relief via the shade provided by the top?

Not really, with the sun beating down on the top, the surrounding heat coming from the blacktop and engine, along with the reduced ventilation, heat is just trapped within the passenger compartment. Ventilation is improved by raising the windshield while moving down the highway. Otherwise, It is all a compromise, in the summer time when just running around town, or slow touring the countryside, the top comes off. On longer highway trips to cut down on the beating turbulence just getting from point A to point B, or in the winter to keep things warmer, is when we have the top installed.

Overall, our main preference is going topless! :thumbsup:

Bill

• For me it allows greater control in air circulation but only by using the baker air wings. I have not used the baker air wings without the top so I can't tell the amount of difference using just the baker air wings. However the top combined with the air wings allows for low turbulence in winter making the ride comfortable and greater air flow (and controlled amount) in the summer to keep things cooler. The top also helps with sun glare on the display unit. I like the top with the NASCAR Style windscreen look.

The baker air wings alone may be effective with air control if you don't like the look with the top. I did a short ride with EjFord (no top installed) at an event they seemed to work excellent. I may try mine the top off along with the wings for the summer?

• So, as a new SS owner that bought one in late September and has not seen hot weather yet..... Why do so many owners say you need a top to get relief from the sun?

I routinely drive thousands of miles on vacation all around the country on my two wheeler and rarely feel like I need relief from the sun.

Is the SS that much hotter/different than my bike???

88,000+ miles in the seat of my Slingshot "TOPLESS" … Lots of different reasons for the tops, but my recommendation to new Slingshot owners get lots of seat time in before going to nuts with 'mods' --- so many things that we can do but any change you make will effect things down the line. One comment was getting air movement into the cockpit … lots of different things we can do for this from things we can buy to things that we can put together and not spend a lot of $$$.00 .

• For me, in Texas, it was to get out of the glaring sun. Too many sunburns. I too was adamant that I wasn't going to get a top. I liked the open feel and I felt the tops enclosed the cabins just too much. But after a while, it just got to be unbearable out in the Texas sun at 100 degrees, moving or not. It's what led me to eventually get the top as part of SS #3.

But EjFord is right - get some seat time (lots of seat time) before deciding to spend any major money. And a decent top is one of the most expensive things you'll probably add to a SS.

• To cool the cockpit down you need air flow. A tall wind screen and a top will not do it. I got a +6 with Sling II this past summer with no top it was like riding in an oven with no air flow. Then I rode in Sling I with the top and the cut down wind screen (Cut down to the center brace) with a ouple other mods for air flow, what a difference

• I'm going to go way out on a limb here and probably all by myself but that's ok.

We have the tall Nascar windscreen along with the Polaris slingshade top. We have no issues with excessive heat in the cockpit here in Alabama. Before you call me a liar there are a few things to consider. When we first got our sling (less than 1k miles) we took the front end off and took out the motor and transmission. While we had it out we closed every hole we could find that would allow heat and air from the engine compartment to enter the cockpit. We (my wife) installed insulation from the top of the firewall all the way to the rear of the sling. We fabricated a metal piece to go in the top of the tunnel that would allow us to insulate that area as well. We put insulation around the shifter hole to limit hot air coming in there. We installed marine grade floor mats and hump mats. We done away with the original exhaust and installed a header and an exhaust out the rear. Oh and while we at it we installed a @DDM super charger. I think maybe the SC had the most affect on keeping the cockpit cool! LOL YMMV

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• the only reason I bought mine is because the dealer had a roof on it. I’m not a convertible or sun roof guy. My roof will never come off as long as I own it.... riding the slingshot is different than motorcycles. I hate being in the direct sun.

If you have the stock exhaust system you’ll find out real fast what cabin heat is...trapped in the foot well and not much air movement. I love my roof...

the type of windshield and how high it is will also effect the cabin heat. I use double bubbles for summer air movement. Straight windshield for spring and fall...

• Lot of good info here to sort through. I know we will only deploy the top when it is raining since we both love to be in the sun. Right now we are leaning towards the Stowaway Soft Top. I'd really like to hear from someone that has that top and see if they are happy with it.

• Lot of good info here to sort through. I know we will only deploy the top when it is raining since we both love to be in the sun. Right now we are leaning towards the Stowaway Soft Top. I'd really like to hear from someone that has that top and see if they are happy with it.

My wife has it for her SS. She only wants a top for shade in the summer. Not waterproof. I have the sport top. I only use it in the summer also. Sitting in traffic and 95 degrees is not pleasant. We have rain suits for wet, or potentially wet, days that we ride.

If you are buying a top for rainy days --- DON'T.

Sling Mods sells a rig that will enclose the whole cockpit, it cost around $5,000 and will probably keep the rain out:sleeping:

then you better think about changing the exhaust system....lots of passenger floor cabin heat

If you are buying a top for rainy days --- DON'T.

Why not? It should keep driving rain off, no???? I wear a good rain suit, but was hoping the roof would "help" to break up the rain some.

• I wear a 3/4 helmet with a fill down face shield for times when it's --- along with frog togs …

Yeah, well I avoid helmet use at all costs where I can. Only if mandated do I wear a helmet. Goggles, rainsuit and no helmet works great in the rain. Not starting a helmet debate here. Do what you all feel best about doing. I'm just looking for roof info...

Why not? It should keep driving rain off, no???? I wear a good rain suit, but was hoping the roof would "help" to break up the rain some.

I do not know where you got the idea that a top was to help keep the rain off of you. You are still going to get wet with the top. It does not even help to keep you dry, it just keeps the SUN off of you.