New Slingshot Member needs advice on windshield.

• Reviving an old thread..

So now that some of you have had plenty of seat time with your windshields how are you liking them, i am leaning towards the Madstad Adjustable 13", here are my reasons as to why i think that might be a good choice feel free to recommend something else that you think might fit better.

Yesterday on my way home i got hit several times in the face shield by little rocks kicked back by vehicles, luckily i was wearing my full face helmet which is something i don't want to do in the SS, this demonstrated that the stock windshield is worthless for me.

Although i don't mind some wind, i prefer to be fully protected against road debris and having a tall windshield allows me to ride without a full face helmet while being protected(this is an assumption on my part)).

I also like wearing ball caps and a tall windshield should reduce my yearly lost ball caps budget,they get blown off all the time on the bikes and if they get run over or land in dirty water/mud i just throw them away, this alone would pay for the windshield in one year time.

So with all those factors in mind is the madstad adjustable 13" a good choice? also will i have an issue down the line when i get a top(gullWing or RD are the current possible choices since someone was saying that the Stinger makes noises at highway speeds).

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• In MN I think that the F4 5+ with the Baker 'Air Wings' would work well for you --- I have 40,000 miles and love it. I have the tinted.

I do wear a helmet when I'm on a long road trip and running the express way---I don't like the road debris either.

The F4 5+ puts the air up over and lots of guys do wear their ball caps with minimal loss.

At 30 degrees and no snow I will be out in the Slingshot a lot.

Enjoy your new toy...

NO I'm not a salesman for Don Franks but maybe I see if I can get some commissions --- need gas money.

• When we installed the Baker 'Air Wings' --- Bruce Baker added a larger washer
    (lack of better term) to hold the shield a little firmer. Works -- I made a couple extra sets and could send you one if you pm me.
    hope pics help.

aluminum piece about 11/4 x 21/2 really
    firms up the flex with the air wings.
    Neo these air wings are 'clamp' attached to the shield
    and may not work with all tops..

• to be honest i don't like the look of the "Air Wings" but i have not seen them in person so speaking based on the picture on their website.

Don't be so quick to judge...several people on this forum have them and think the world of them for both hot and cold weather...I would think you could get used to the look if you love how they work.

• For those people running the tall wind screens I do not believe that you have had the pleasure of the wind screen fogging up instantly at 85 MPH on the inter state. I could not see a thing thru it. Well it happened to me twice, at the time I was running the stock blade so I could sit up and look over it. Now I run the stock blade, but I cut 2 1/2 inch off of it. I also have the stock LE tinted blade of which I cut another 1/2 inch off of it to get rid of the top edge distortion.( it is straight across the top now instead of notched in the center ) I still have not lost a ball cap! 40,000 miles and counting I only wear a helmet where where it is required by law or I am riding in the rain.

• I also like wearing ball caps and a tall windshield should reduce my yearly lost ball caps budget,they get blown off all the time on the bikes and if they get run over or land in dirty water/mud i just throw them away, this alone would pay for the windshield in one year time.

Or you could just get one of these....

• I run the original stock blade from Polaris with air wings. For my height it is perfect. I was hesitant to get the air wings but have to tell you they are worth every penny, in the cold they defect the air around and away from you and in the summer it is like having AC - almost.

Virginia and North Carolina both require helmets so I have no choice there.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I'm 6'1" and have a TD Top and the MadStad 13" Adjustable shield. I drilled new mounting holes so the shield can be lowered even more for cold weather. I don't remember the exact distance I raised the new holes, but they look to be about 3/4 of the way up from the original lower holes to the original higher holes, but that actually lowered the shield to the point that the shield can hit the hood when the shield is positioned as low as possible. I have to raise the shield before opening the hood with the new holes. If I had to do it over again, I think I'd position the new lower holes halfway between the original mounting holes, then position the shield using the new holes to establish the locations of the upper holes. This mod significantly reduces air flowing under the shield in cooler weather, yet still allows the shield to be raised for added air flow when desired.

Added - When my TD Top is installed, I typically wear a hat. I have had a few occasions where the hat hasn't wanted to stay on my head, usually involving high winds in the area. W/o the top, I still have concerns about my hat staying in place.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• I am 6.0 i think i will give the Madstad 11" a try
    For those of you that wear helmets, do you wear a full face,modular or half with visor?

On a motorcycle anything but a full face always seemed like a mistake to me but now on the SS other choices seem reasonable.
    Looking at this Shark for times when you need a helmet on, the mask/googles just protect you from debris, but let all the air in so you get the feeling of openness without getting hit by rocks plus is red and we all know that makes you faster....
    Shark RAW Stripe Red/White Helmet | 724-875 | J&P Cycles