Need some opinions on an area that is for members only

• I like the idea of members only section @rabtech ... If they are that lazy or sneaky they don't deserve to see it.

NOTE:I knew keeping that old jacket would eventually pay off :thumbup:

And it is of the "Faster Red" persuasion :00000441:

You hadda go there??? Made me think of this - how many here admit to wearing one......I'll be the first :(

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• When I posted the Video Log of Panel Removal I posted it here and wanted people to join here to be able to access it. "How do I take my panels off to send to a painter" was one of the most frequent questions to me via PM and removing them was the big reason body shops charged ridiculously high prices!

I was not sure that I even wanted to give out this info but I thought it would help draw people to this site and give members valuable information not available elsewhere. But if guests can access I should have taken out a full page ad in the newspaper!

Most of us here are responsible for the dissemination of information through experience and knowledge that began and flourished on the "Other Site" which contributed to its overwhelming success. Asking guests to become members is not too much to ask to glean this knowledge.

The "Other Site" never gave me any grief but when the grief was apparent in suffering of my friends it left a very bad taste and @'rabtech created this amazing venue which I now call my Slingshot home.

I feel that technical information should be available to members and members only!

• I am of the opinion that all the tech info should be free for the taking for anyone who wants it. Membership means friendships and all the banter should be for friends and member while a tech question from a stranger should be able to be answered without having to force a membership/friendship on anyone.

That's my two cents.

#02828 January 2015 build date.
    Here to assist anyone in the Denver area.

• Most of the motorcycle forums I have been part of require you to be a member to see certain technical areas.
    Intellectual information provided by the members should have a gateway to be seen. Asking someone to become member on the forum is a small price to pay for the valuable technical information they will gain.
    Thank you @rabtech for continuing to think outside the box to improve Slingshotinfo.com.

• I think @rabtech is being underestimated. I do not believe that he started this forum with the intent of turning it into a cash cow. I cannot blame him tryin to make a few bucks here and there to cover his costs but for me he has my thanks for creating this amazing club for Slingshot enthusiasts. I think that anyone becoming a member or not will get a lot more than they ever have to give.

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• Most of the motorcycle forums I have been part of require you to be a member to see certain technical areas.
    Intellectual information provided by the members should have a gateway to be seen. Asking someone to become member on the forum is a small prices to pay for the valuable technical information they will gain.
    Thank you @rabtech for continuing to think outside the box to improve Slingshotinfo.com.

My point exactly! I have spent countless hours gladly sharing information with Members and my accountant told me that I lost $6890 last year donating and painting for members.... The best $6890 I've ever spent!!!!
    Part of the success of this and the other forum was the bond formed between Members. I've blindly trusted Members and have never been disappointed!
    I really don't care to share with strangers who drop in to see what they can get with no contribution at all!

• Basically the device is a Wide Open "no lift" Shift box and a 2-step ignition cut out box... It also has a programable shift light that can be added.

So @rabtech am I correct in assuming when you get this "shift box" working you will also have solved the lingering question of "how to interface the AEM failsafe limit output with the ECU"?
    Please say YES ...

• When I posted the Video Log of Panel Removal I posted it here and wanted people to join here to be able to access it. "How do I take my panels off to send to a painter" was one of the most frequent questions to me via PM and removing them was the big reason body shops charged ridiculously high prices!

I was not sure that I even wanted to give out this info but I thought it would help draw people to this site and give members valuable information not available elsewhere. But if guests can access I should have taken out a full page ad in the newspaper.

And haven't we all learned from them. !

• OK, CLEARLY some of you are not reading the post where I tell you there is NOT going to be a charge to access any of the info...... NO CHARGE, NO PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP, NO TRICKS, NO WORRIES, NO PROBLEMS..... EVER!

THE QUESTION IS BASICALLY THIS::: DO THE MEMBERS WANT TO PROTECT THEIR TECHNICAL AREA FROM PEOPLE JUST SURFING THROUGH...?

Sadly this simple thought I had today is turning from a open request to everyone for their input into something that I don't like seeing... I don't want anyone to think that ANY and ALL info won't be FREE to all. It will aways be FREE. I just wanted to have people at least sign up to see it....

I had the same thoughts as all of you. I thought it would be neat to be able to hide away some of the sites info. And have it just for people that have an actual account on the forum... And then I had the thought that it would not be very nice or very inviting to hide this data...

That is why i asked.... Nothing else at all was planned or plotted.....

I just want to table the whole issue for a while.... Its not worth me worrying if someone is upset because they think I am locking something down and especially locking it down for a profit.... :(:(:(

Lets pretend I didn't ask...

• I think its a great idea to block the technical content. Requiring someone to simply sign up and become a member to access valuable info is definitely not asking too much. You would have my full support.

• I so hope my stupid comment regarding a small price to pay , $14, and extra adds was not taken seriously by some. It was i guess a poor attempt at humor regarding what transpired over on the dark side. Very Sorry @rabtech as I should have assumed all would not understand the sarcasm
    sad-squared

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• OK I am late to the party and haven't read thru the entire thread. I hate my job sometimes, I spend hours on planes and in airports.

I don't see any issue with extra benefits for registered members, you are not charging any fees. It would sort of be like NSFW you just have to ask for permission once.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• And this issue was just a thought that came into my head....Dont want to "put off" anyone with the idea... I know the site is new and I want it to grow and grow........

I want to hear everyones input.... I can simply make the tech area visible to everyone and when you click on it (if your not signed in) it will say that you need to be a member or you need to sign in...

Few suggestions

• You can see the content, but you can't copy and paste the information.
    • You can preview and see the first few posts but need a membership to view the rest.
    • Allow WebCrawlers search the content so it pops up in search engines but when you visit you need a membership to see content?

That's all I have after a very long day at work.

• OK table this after I have read all 4 pages and have put in my 2 cents. @rabtech you are the man in my book when you started this forum. I don't quite understand why it is so bad to ask someone to sign up if they want into the holy grail of info. There is enough information to whet their whistles without the technical information. I have followed all you guys since last May and am glad to call you trusted friends. Without @Painter info i would not have even tried to remove hood panels and because of it my Sling is now my own. You do what you want. It will not effect any members that are commenting anyway because we saw the benefit and signed up.

With that said see you in Maggie Valley. Spud

• Just an FYI, a lot of other sites I visit as a guest when working on other projects are similar in some ways to what Rabtech is asking. Only difference is they aren't locking away the technical information written, just any pictures or videos that had been posted by the forum members. If I clicked on the thumbnail to view them it would kindly tell me that I needed to join the forum to view the information contained in the picture. Some I have joined, others I did not. If someone wants to get at the almost 2 years worth of knowledge base that is here on the Slingshot, they will join. Hopefully they will join and be a contributing member down the road.
    @rabtech. Could you have a section that automatically makes a thread welcoming each new member that joins? I'm sure other members would reply to them and make the newbee feel welcomed so hopefully they will hang around for a while instead of joining to gain a quick but of info and bail out.

Stephen.