Radio antenna not very good..

• stock radio sucks bad reception seems to be a universal problem. the solution differs depending on the person. Many here upgrade their entire system, others have installed signal boosters with varying degrees of success and others like me have given up and use streaming services like Pandora

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Generally speaking, the higher the antenna is mounted, the better the reception. Polaris laid it on its side under the rear fin for some reason. I have a Base model w/o the factory antenna. I currently have a rubber duck-type antenna and discovered when I raised it above the edge of my Top the reception improved dramatically.

• stock radio sucks bad reception seems to be a universal problem. the solution differs depending on the person. Many here upgrade their entire system, others have installed signal boosters with varying degrees of success and others like me have given up and use streaming services like Pandora

I have the Ride Command system. How would I go about getting the streaming service? Is it in the audio setup?

• I have the Ride Command system. How would I go about getting the streaming service? Is it in the audio setup?

Use your smartphone. Fire up either your music app, Pandora or your radio app of choice. Works good, as long as you are in range of a cell tower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• I don't have the 2018 Ride Command, I have the older stock radio, so this may not apply.

But FM reception isn't bad when the key is in the Accessories position. It gets much worse just turning the key to the On position (without even starting the engine).

I think that indicates the antenna is not the problem, it's actually some kind of interference issue.

• I don't have the 2018 Ride Command, I have the older stock radio, so this may not apply.

But FM reception isn't bad when the key is in the Accessories position. It gets much worse just turning the key to the On position (without even starting the engine).

I think that indicates the antenna is not the problem, it's actually some kind of interference issue.

If you have any L.E.D.'s that come on when the switch is on that could be adding to the problem. Some of them have been proven to cause interference even on good system much less ours which is weak to start with.

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• I installed my own marine radio, the cms5 from clarion. I also installed a signal booster to the antenna. the rubber whip I put on it is 14 " tall and comes above the slingshade by about 3 to 4" and the reception still sucks bad. I use Bluetooth and my smartphone for all of my music. Pulls my GPS through the sound system and makes life easier. I totally have given up on radio.

• As mentioned, it is a combination of both the stereo and antenna. I have already had Polaris replace my stock antenna with another (they did find a broken connection), but reception did not improve. However, once I replaced the stock stereo with a Pioneer, I immediately got 18 stations inside my garage (I only got 2 before) although there still is some static. Tells me it's probably a week antenna with a crappy stereo. I've ordered an antenna amplifier and ferrite beads (toroids) to see if that will help even more as that seems to be just a couple of things people have tried.

• Nope, I never could find any double-din water proof stereos. Many folks go with the Clarion CMS5 which is waterproof, but it's not a true double din. There are also "splash guards" but they aren't truly waterproof either. I have a cockpit cover that I use when I'm outside (I park in the garage at home) and I just plan on parking it whenever it rains otherwise. I did fill in the back side of the stereo area between the engine and fire wall to prevent water getting in that way. But worse case scenario is I get stuck in the rain and blow the stereo, I just but another for <$200.

• As mentioned, it is a combination of both the stereo and antenna. I have already had Polaris replace my stock antenna with another (they did find a broken connection), but reception did not improve. However, once I replaced the stock stereo with a Pioneer, I immediately got 18 stations inside my garage (I only got 2 before) although there still is some static. Tells me it's probably a week antenna with a crappy stereo. I've ordered an antenna amplifier and ferrite beads (toroids) to see if that will help even more as that seems to be just a couple of things people have tried.

welcome aboard @chavey2 - looking forward to photos of your ride and adventures

My grandfather suffered from a horrible case of toroids in his youth. Just kidding - anxious to hear if you develop a solution ... a lot of us would be interested

• If you have any L.E.D.'s that come on when the switch is on that could be adding to the problem. Some of them have been proven to cause interference even on good system much less ours which is weak to start with.

No aftermarket LED or electronics on mine, everything is stock (2016.5 SL red).

• No aftermarket LED or electronics on mine, everything is stock (2016.5 SL red).

My only suggestion would be to start pulling fuses until the interference goes away. Once you determine what is causing it then you can try to figure out how to isolate the radio/antenna from it. Grasping for straws here!

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• It's amazing no one has figured out how to fix the radio problem. People have been bitching about this since day one. I'm just hoping to open a forum some day where there's some bolt on I can buy that will fix it.