Rear-end End Blew Up!

• I was told a story by my dealer about Polaris pulling into a dealer in Flordia with two 18 wheelers and loading everything up. Polaris caught them knowingly putting in false warrenty claims like this. This is the short story, he explained in a lot more detail.

• Not true all the time. As most know I am running the stock base 18 rear with a massive 295 45 18 that is 2 inches taller than a 305 30 20 and almost as wide. The 18 inch configured as it is weighs about 3 pounds less than the 20 inch rim with the 305 and has a lot bigger tire.
    Some of us have been running massive tires with different wheel combinations while pushing high HP for almost 2 years without an issue. More likely it is a casting issue which we saw with the swingarm.

• Have these casting broken on all the years or limited to one certain year?

I would also think they have ID numbers to track the date, time and batch of the manufacture.

The melter could have screwed up the recipe....seen it happen in the steel mill lots of times...they ended up as scrap..

• Does a bigger diameter wheel create more centrifical force? Which would translate into more weight....kinda..

Does it take more force to turn a big wheel or a small wheel...

I’m sure a SC and a bigger diameter wheel has to be stretching the rear end specs..and tranny and drive belt and anything else you want to name in the drive train..

And I seriously don’t think when they designed the SS they were thinking about SCs, turbos and giant wheels.

• Just say'in... :thumbsup:

My saying is: 'If you can't fix it with duct tape, you're not using enough duct tape!'

And: 'A hammer for everything and everything is a hammer.'

So my serious question is, can it be determined from the forensic evidence that the case failed first allowing the gears to explode or did the gears explode breaking the case? If it was the latter, a band around the outside would likely just keep them contained but would not prevent a failure.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• So my serious question is, can it be determined from the forensic evidence that the case failed first allowing the gears to explode or did the gears explode breaking the case? If it was the latter, a band around the outside would likely just keep them contained but would not prevent a failure.

I would doubt there would be any way to prove which let go first, like that Chicken and the Egg conundrum. However, the gears are much harder, and as long as they were set to the proper clearance they would be the least likely of the two. I'm sure we all realize the aluminum case is the weaker link. From the split appearing to have started at the driveshaft end, my thoughts would be that it let go first and that put the gears into a position where they had interference. That wouldn't cause them to blow apart, but forcing that fit would.... as in the machine was rolling. Again, just my thoughts on it. Opinions vary, some people may even have two of them..... and like armpits, they may both stink!

Take this all with a grain of salt, as I've not stayed in a Holiday Inn Express in over a year......

I plan to get a band like the one I posted in here earlier for mine. It may not stop the issue, but it can't hurt. And it could be the thing that keeps an angle drive from crashing thru into the space that I occupy, and that is a desirable thing to me!

• I would doubt there would be any way to prove which let go first, like that Chicken and the Egg conundrum. However, the gears are much harder, and as long as they were set to the proper clearance they would be the least likely of the two. I'm sure we all realize the aluminum case is the weaker link. From the split appearing to have started at the driveshaft end, my thoughts would be that it let go first and that put the gears into a position where they had interference. That wouldn't cause them to blow apart, but forcing that fit would.... as in the machine was rolling. Again, just my thoughts on it. Opinions vary, some people may even have two of them..... and like armpits, they may both stink!
    Take this all with a grain of salt, as I've not stayed in a Holiday Inn Express in over a year......

I plan to get a band like the one I posted in here earlier for mine. It may not stop the issue, but it can't hurt. And it could be the thing that keeps an angle drive from crashing thru into the space that I occupy, and that is a desirable thing to me!

could have been many things at fault...any one of the gears could have failed...too hard or too soft...the case could have been flawed or any and all of the components were over stressed beyond their design strength ...

That case is cracked in several places....it was a catastrophic failure not just a simple oops..

I just hope it’s not a design flaw effecting many units..

if it was over stressed everyone with SCs and turbos should be doing routine inspections of their entire drive train. That still won’t tell you if things are going wrong inside the components..

• @Tripod
    Oh search guru! Can you locate the other failure info that occurred? It was around 18 months ago I believe. Not sure if it was here or TDS. If I remember correctly the Sling was an NA.

Original failure was on TDS. I remember that thread. Don’t have time to deal with searching today - anyone can do that.

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014