Any cheap shock alternatives

• Really? Pay premium prices for these shocks and then don't maintain them as recommended? Really?

Bill

The first thing i did on my SUV with just 100 miles on the odo was replace the OEM shocks for a set of BR Racing coilovers, they have been going strong for 4 years now and work as good as new and i have never rebuilt them.

The recommended maintenance is for people who track their vehicle or push it far more than 99% of sling owners ever will.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Bigdog the ride quality is night and day difference with the stock I dreaded any bumps in the road railroad tracks would make my teeth hurt. But now it's like being on a cloud. I got alpha 2 way adjustables.

• The first thing i did on my SUV with just 100 miles on the odo was replace the OEM shocks for a set of BR Racing coilovers, they have been going strong for 4 years now and work as good as new and i have never rebuilt them.
    The recommended maintenance is for people who track their vehicle or push it far more than 99% of sling owners ever will.

I would agree that car/truck factory shocks are only good for 20,000 miles...they are just good enough to get it of the assembly line...if that is true then I guess the same would apply to our SS.

• If you are looking at cheap shocks for the Slingshot, that is what Polaris put on it in the first place. I have the Hahn QA1's, dual adjustable, bought in a group buy. $699 plus shipping. Not remotely comparable to stock, it's now a completely different driving machine! My wife noticed it right away, said it rode better, but handled the curves much better.... that's from the passenger seat too. Polaris should have them on them to start with, and just charge a little more. My stock front shocks were at least 1/4 inch different in length, and were both short from what was a stock position. I've been riding 2 wheels since I was 10, and have never bought aftermarket shocks until the SS. It is in my top 5 mods for the Sling.

• Peanut gallery chipping in here... I'm the passenger, so when the idea of spending a small fortune on shocks came up, I pushed back hard. Until I rode in a sling with real shocks. In comfort, it makes a huge difference, and in handling it can make as much or more of one. Its a hard pill to swallow, but that and the sway bar are choices that I'm glad we made.

• So actually how much difference do these shocks make in the ride and handling? 10%-20%?

Bigdog the ride quality is night and day difference with the stock I dreaded any bumps in the road railroad tracks would make my teeth hurt. But now it's like being on a cloud. I got alpha 2 way adjustables.

My favorite ride crosses several RR tracks and with the OEM suspension, I got quite a jar going over them. With the Bilstein shocks I bought awhile back in a group buy, all 3 wheels maintain contact with the road and the bumpy ride is gone. Made me wonder why I waited so long.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• Peanut gallery chipping in here... I'm the passenger, so when the idea of spending a small fortune on shocks came up, I pushed back hard. Until I rode in a sling with real shocks. In comfort, it makes a huge difference, and in handling it can make as much or more of one. Its a hard pill to swallow, but that and the sway bar are choices that I'm glad we made.

thanks, passenger input ....I like that...not often considered....less often expressed... :thumbsup:

I did the sway bar...next the shocks....my credit cards are screaming.... ;(

• Thanks, ok I’m ordering the doubles...

Also saw something about an valve cover oil breather.....is this something we need to do for everyday driving?

As far as I know you would only need a valve cover oil breather if you use a cold air intake (CAI). Those typically do not have a connection to the breathing vent on the cover, as the OE intake does.

• As far as I know you would only need a valve cover oil breather if you use a cold air intake (CAI). Those typically do not have a connection to the breathing vent on the cover, as the OE intake does.

Almost all "CAI"'s have accommodations for the PCV vent line ... without one it would just as you mentioned be a"breather" rather than provide positive crank case ventilation. A properly built product should have two ports, one for the IAT sensor and then closer to the throttle body one for the PCV vent line. Installing a separate valve cover breather on a NA motor is going backwards in functionality.

.... nerd-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• I had RD’s poor mans QA1 version on my 2015. Put QA1 coils on stock shocks. Made a world of difference, but lowers the SS by about an inch. You have to have the rear Clevis changed to a shorter version to keep the ride level.

In defense of the prices. If you look at any adjustable shocks you are going to pay for them. SS or not.

Proud Member of SOG!!!!!!!

2015 SL (Yellow) Traded becuase it kept melting

2018 SLR LE with DDM SuperCharger!!! I guess the gray ones are faster...