Anyone install 4pt. harnesses and keep the factory seats?

• If it was my company I would avoid for that reason. Hell you have to worry like hell on even simple stuff that if involved in an accident could it cause further injury or death. Wrongful death is a a big worry for any aftermarket manufacture.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• This was at 1:49 pm today:
    "Hi Tom, PRP is not developing a harness bar. THank you for checking though.
    Jason Hayden
    Sales Manager
    800.317.6253 x103 | jason@prpseats.com"

We're gonna be playing toppers here.... Mine were both sent and received at 11:14 am this morning as well ?( . 2 Both PRP and Slingmods. PRP did, however, say I would have to purchase the harness somewhere other than Slingmods because they only sell "automotive" items, but the bar would be sold .... hmmm. strange

• If it was my company I would avoid for that reason. Hell you have to worry like hell on even simple stuff that if involved in an accident could it cause further injury or death. Wrongful death is a a big worry for any aftermarket manufacture.

Damn lawyers are a pain in the ass
    :00000156::D

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• Would definitely be a difficult case from the standpoint of:

1.) It is a motorcycle and I am fairly certain the stock seatbelt is not DOT approved leaving that questionable.
    2.) If you add a non DOT approved seat belt for racing or off road you assume the liability unless you could prove a manufacturing defect and that is negated if you drive on a public highway.
    3.). Vehicle is not crash tested to prove whether the restraint would prevent or aggravate an injury.

DEFINITELY a tricky case to put in front of a jury!!

• Don't you think the average jury would side with the "victim:
    Let me rephrase that don't you think the assumption is they would, there for you avoid the issue by not supplying the part
    IE - mounting bracket. if you just sell the belts then you are not endorsing they work in that vehicle?

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• 4 point harness on stock seats is a big no-no unless you want to die from a spinal compression in a frontal crash.

Don't do it.

You need racing seats with the holes for the harness to position the straps like they should be over the top of the shoulders and going down, and staying that way in the event of a frontal crash.

Lost a friend in a Subaru Impreza who installed a 4 point on stock seats, hit a guard rail at 60 in the rain, full front impact, he died instantly with his spine broken in multiple places, his passenger got out with minor bruises and a cut on the right leg, he had OEM belt on, no 4 point. it was determined that the 4 point compressed the spine when his body was projected forward and held by the shoulder straps, the straps where actually pulling down when his weight was going forward, and that cause his spike to fracture in multiple places. His died from this trauma, it's almost a good thing, if he would have survived doctors said he would have been paralyzed from the neck down.

Race harness are made to be used with specific seat designs to be safe. Don't go thinking you can invent shit that will end up killing you because it looks cool but it's not safe when you need it to be.

Your call.

Vi Engineered Turbo (V-Mount)
    Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    Assault Hub / Steering wheel
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    Cipher Race Seats and 4 point harness
    XO Luxury Verona 20x12 Toyo R888 315/35r20, 19x9.5 Toyo R888 265/35R19
    and more...

• I would probably not put the 4 points in if Polaris had the frikken OEM seatbelts actually positioned correctly. I think the chance of being ragdolled with the OEM's in a flip warrants the risk of wearing a 4 point. I'm also thinking a SS wouldn't survive a 60 mph head on with a guard rail, IMO.

All the oil might be in Alberta but the dipsticks are in Ottawa!

• Here is a really good article.
    http://www.speedhunters.com/20…a-ask-the-expert-answers/

Rabtech showed through his install mounting to the roll bar bolting locations this should be within the 20 degrees of plain with your shoulder. I think where the compression issues have happened is when the rear straps are mounted directly downward to the floor. This would pull downward as you go forward in a crash. With the mount point directly behind us in the sling there is not a downward pull force in play. The other issue shown in the pics is if we use a stock seat, the issue was it could allow the shoulders straps to slip off in the event of a accident or thrust forward. However if you not only connect your lap belt but anoth chest strap holding the shoulder harnesses together that should prevent that issue. Some of the cheaper straps don't have that, but you can buy a luggage strap to do the same basic thing. With th 5 point harness it gives you the extra assurance of the anti submarine piece. But if your shoulder straps are not pulling you in a downward fashion I would think would help. I am no expert in any way. But I am going to move forward with an almost parallel rear strap install, and the chest strap.

• You need luck on your side to survive. Race car drivers are killed and they seem to have more than anybody engineering behind them.
    Its a game of inches/degree of impact/speed and a little luck .
    You look at some accidents and no way can someone walk away and others a simple accident and they are killed.
    And you know just like cancer it could be some are stronger inside their bodies than others for survival of a accident.
    You can try and make your SS as safe to your own needs but until more accidents and information come in it is a guessing game for
    some issues.
    So people saying you need this no that. Know one really knows for sure and with more information in few years and the
    size and weight and so many other factors to maybe help engineer more safety into SS.
    Hey air bags kill in some circumstances and lets face it this is a toy of fun and very low to ground and tractor trailer could
    run over you and nothing much you can do other than stay home.
    The SS is safer than 2 wheels in some ways and yet all my years on 2 wheels I think they are safer in a lot of ways.
    So if you get into SS go out and have fun and drive as safe to your ability of driving and watch the other driver who is not
    and pray you can survive that fun day and see tomorrow.
    And really if you or polaris make SS almost full proof most would not own one today. The weight and engineering to make
    it that safe would cost much more that most could not afford the fun factor that SS reward us with.

• As read on Takata article:

"Harness belt systems must not be installed in vehicles equipped with seats which do not have adjustable head restraints, or seats with backrests that have integrated head restraints where there are no openings for the shoulder belts. The seatbelts will not function properly in these types of seats as shoulder belts will tend to slip off the shoulders. "

This is coming from experts in seat belts.

Vi Engineered Turbo (V-Mount)
    Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    Assault Hub / Steering wheel
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    Cipher Race Seats and 4 point harness
    XO Luxury Verona 20x12 Toyo R888 315/35r20, 19x9.5 Toyo R888 265/35R19
    and more...

• I agree with @harleyujoe - a lot of luck is needed in a bad crash. In 2006 I was cruising with some buddies at Sturgis in a sunny afternoon in a long sweeping curve. Found out later oil was still on highway from a wreck earlier that day. Rear end lost traction sliding toward shoulder - was able to horse it back up but road curved and I didn't. My 300 lb ass began rolling down road shoulder watching my beloved Harley flipping end over end. Long story - short no broken bones but peeled my scalp back like Geronimo went caveman on my head. With huge rocks everywhere another 1/4" deeper lick to my head I would have left my brain on the road (some would say no great loss :D ) and no longer here with you guys. Bout 4 months to recover. That's when I figured out (I think) that the old saying "it just wasn't my time" is absolutely correct. Don't know if the 4 pt harness will help or hurt from what I just read - just pray if you are in an accident you are not on the Good Lord's list for that day. Be safe out there :)

• OK. If I looked at the picture correctly it has the mount points lower then the shoulder. I actually was under the impression it was supposed to be slightly higher than your shoulder.

The harness I have has a secondary connector between the belts up higher to keep the straps over your shoulders and together.

After looking at the picture I feel a bit better about the stock seat and my hook points. I can see how if you didn't have the upper cross connect it could slip off your shoulders. Is that a feature that most harnesses have? Or did I just get lucky with the harness I picked?

• OK. If I looked at the picture correctly it has the mount points lower then the shoulder. I actually was under the impression it was supposed to be slightly higher than your shoulder.

The harness I have has a secondary connector between the belts up higher to keep the straps over your shoulders and together.

After looking at the picture I feel a bit better about the stock seat and my hook points. I can see how if you didn't have the upper cross connect it could slip off your shoulders. Is that a feature that most harnesses have? Or did I just get lucky with the harness I picked?

I think that is a common feature in many off road harnesses
    I haven't seen it is racing equipment - but I am by no means any sort of expert and rarely stay at Holiday inn

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!