your first ride

• Here I am circa 1970 at age 10 with my first modded ride, a Schwinn Stingray with extended forks, butterfly handlebars, banana seat and sissy bar. All paid for and done by me with lawn mowing money (check out those yards across the street). Don't let the diminutive frame, corduroy pants, button-down checked shirt and lack of tattoos fool you - I was a BadAss and the neighborhood kids hated me on that bike. That tree is not holding me up - I'm about to push it over...

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Here I am circa 1970 at age 10 with my first modded ride, a Schwinn Stingray with extended forks, butterfly handlebars, banana seat and sissy bar. All paid for and done by me with lawn mowing money (check out those yards across the street). Don't let the diminutive frame, corduroy pants, button-down checked shirt and lack of tattoos fool you - I was a BadAss and the neighborhood kids hated me on that bike. That tree is not holding me up - I'm about to push it over...

You could tell you was bad ass even back then look at the use of all that leather. Kinda shocked the pants are not bell bottom for that time period.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

• You could tell you was bad ass even back then look at the use of all that leather. Kinda shocked the pants are not bell bottom for that time period.

I was the 2nd kid in school with bellbottoms and it was 4th grade, probably a year or less before this picture. Yep, those aren't them. I think mom dressed me up for this. Pictures used to be a big deal.

• 1975 Plymouth Duster with a 318 engine. Great car to have while growing up watching the Dukes of Hazzard, lol.

Never actually took any pics of her, but a google search managed to take me down Memory lane, and here we are.

Really wish I kept this car.

• Fast forward to 1977, high school parking lot. My 1969 Chevelle SS. When I bought it for $800, the 396 was already blown and it had a Corvette 327 in it. Wish I still had this one. There's your bell bottoms - and earth shoes!

• Fast forward to 1977, high school parking lot. My 1969 Chevelle SS. When I bought it for $800, the 396 was already blown and it had a Corvette 327 in it. Wish I still had this one. There's your bell bottoms - and earth shoes!

1968 Chevelle SS Conv. 396 with 4 speed sitting in the play room at this time. It has been here 20 plus years.

• 1968 Chevelle SS Conv. 396 with 4 speed sitting in the play room at this time. It has been here 20 plus years.

Where's the 'extremely jealous' button?

Sorry did you say something? I couldn't get past the hair.

I was a drummer in a rock and roll band, playing Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Rush, Lynrd Skynrd, Thin Lizzy, Foghat, Backman Turner Overdrive, Dobbie Brothers, Jeff Beck, Santana, Deep Purple, and some others...

• Where's the 'extremely jealous' button?

I was a drummer in a rock and roll band, playing Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Rush, Lynrd Skynrd, Thin Lizzy, Foghat, Backman Turner Overdrive, Dobbie Brothers, Jeff Beck, Santana, Deep Purple, and some others...

You coulda shortened it and just said the last of the "Good Music" :00008172:

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• You coulda shortened it and just said the last of the "Good Music"

ZZ Top, Doucette, Pat Travers, Montrose, 10 Years After, Hendrix, REO Speedwagon, Kansas, Rolling Stones, The Who, Eagles, Queen, Pink Floyd, Frampton, Heart, Styx, Foreigner, Allman Brothers, Edgar and Johnny Winter, Bad Company, Boston, Cheap Trick, Blue Oyster Cult, Ted Nugent, J. Geils, Joe Walsh, The Band, The Kinks, Little Feat, and those are just the ones I remember. It was the 70's.

And I was 1 in 77

So I guess you weren't smokin' any of that shitty weed they had back then.

• Found a box of old photos and thought I might revive this thread. 68 Firebird

Yes I watch too much Dukes of Hazzard

Sorry Mitch, not to cross you but that's a 1969, or at least a 1969 doghouse on it. I'm an old Poncho man, it's in my blood. 67-68 were nearly identical, other than the wing window (dope smoker window as many know it) on those two, along with a few other minor changes. 1969 was rare, they made less of them, and the parts to restore them are out of sight. 70-73 were very similar, so parts are more available for them.

Resume thread, sorry for the derail!

• Sorry Mitch, not to cross you but that's a 1969, or at least a 1969 doghouse on it. I'm an old Poncho man, it's in my blood. 67-68 were nearly identical, other than the wing window (dope smoker window as many know it) on those two, along with a few other minor changes. 1969 was rare, they made less of them, and the parts to restore them are out of sight. 70-73 were very similar, so parts are more available for them.

Resume thread, sorry for the derail!

NO problem sir you are correct.

Unfortunately not many usable parts left on that one. There was a water treatment plant with all kinds of trails mostly used by jeeps. But we would pick up beater cars and see how far we could jump. For the record I would not recommend a 69 Bird for jumping.

But only if I knew then what I know now that puppy would be tenderly cared for in my shop. I wasn't a total idiot my 68 Chevelle was safely parked behind the house while i was destroying a piece of history.

All the best to you- hope to see you in Maggie

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• 1971 Suzuki 90....picture is not mine....but I just found this exact same bike for sale in original condition with 229 miles on it..

Traded it for my first car...1964 Plymouth Fury 318 with a push button shifter on the dash...and 130,000 miles..

That bike was so much fun.....it sucks getting old.....my childhood is dying around me....all the dead singers....and movie stars...rumor has it I’m on that same list somewhere....

• I had a very similar bike as my first ride, Kawa F7 - 175

zlGmog8.png

Not my pic either, wish I had kept that bike. It was a 2 stroke, but it had an oil reserve and mixed it's own gas/oil setup, so just pour some in on every tank fill-up.

My 2nd ride was a 1971 F-100 pickup, used to have 3 on the tree, but my grandfather had converted to a granny 4-speed. The motor had crapped out (old 360 v8) and I bought a 300 straight 6 from a junk yard and put in it when he gave me the truck. It had 1 ton overload springs on it and was a beat for pulling with 4.10 gears.

Since we lived on a farm, I got the truck when I was 13, and was told to just stay off of the state highways and stick to the farm roads.

• !978 Suzuki RM 125

A dirt bike but it was my first taste of freedom. Parents hated motorcycles. They only agreed I could get one if I worked and payed for it myself. Worked nights and weekends. Still remember going into the local motorcycle shop to make a deposit every week.

Later parents admitted they only agreed I could get one if I worked and paid on my own. They never thought I would be willing at that age. They also admitted years later it was good because it taught the value of hard work for achievement.

After all these years I still ride motorcycles and now the slingshot. Adventure sure makes life fun!