Battery Size - 2016 SL

• It's a car battery in my 2015. Those optima batteries need to be kept fully charged. If they drop below 9-10 amps you have to use two car batteries to bring it back up. Way different than a standard battery.

Please elaborate. I have the Yellow Top Optima in mine & when we were at the beach I ran it down (SS wouldn't start "click, click, click") we pushed started it (pop'd the clutch) & haven't had any issues. I assume you mean when they get old and drop? Or is 9-10 amps low not a "normal" thing?

• Please elaborate. I have the Yellow Top Optima in mine & when we were at the beach I ran it down (SS wouldn't start "click, click, click") we pushed started it (pop'd the clutch) & haven't had any issues. I assume you mean when they get old and drop? Or is 9-10 amps low not a "normal" thing?

1st off, its 9-10 VOLTS, not AMPS, where you can have problems with Optima batteries. A regular battery charger will often not restore an Optima battery when voltage gets that low - you must use the special charger that @kyslingshot gave a link to on the bottom of page 1 of this thread.

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• I assure you, the 2015 OEM battery is a Group 34 in size.

Look what was in my SlingShot! I decided to change the oil in the right angle drive. My SlingShot was built in 2014, maybe the early models used Group Size 26?

Old Battery, Part #4014132

New Battery

Side by side, old and new

• 1st off, its 9-10 VOLTS, not AMPS, where you can have problems with Optima batteries. A regular battery charger will often not restore an Optima battery when voltage gets that low - you must use the special charger that @kyslingshot gave a link to on the bottom of page 1 of this thread.

So the problem would be with using a battery charger to charge it if it gets low? Driving it and letting alternator charge it would work? I don't own a battery charger so if its just using a battery charger to charge it then it wouldn't affect me.

• So the problem would be with using a battery charger to charge it if it gets low? Driving it and letting alternator charge it would work? I don't own a battery charger so if its just using a battery charger to charge it then it wouldn't affect me.

So you are right and if you do need to buy a charger you then buy the one for the Optima

• This thread is dead!

why would it be dead when my question has not yet been clearly answered?

I asked what series/group size is stock in my 2016 SL

We have discovered that 2015 apparently came with group size 26 and we know that 2016 has something smaller

What group is it?

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Look what was in my SlingShot! I decided to change the oil in the right angle drive. My SlingShot was built in 2014, maybe the early models used Group Size 26?
    Old Battery, Part #4014132

New Battery

Side by side, old and new

The service manual for 2015 also backs up what you're saying. However, my OEM battery from the factory is larger than a Group 26 & is definitely a Group 34 in size (note that the Optima blue top & yellow top batteries people are using are also Group 34 in size). It doesn't surprise me that Polaris would send out more than one size... ;(

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• why would it be dead when my question has not yet been clearly answered?
    I asked what series/group size is stock in my 2016 SL

We have discovered that 2015 apparently came with group size 26 and we know that 2016 has something smaller

What group is it?

I think it might be best to at least remove your battery cover to see if you have a car style battery or a motorcycle style battery. It seems that there is confusion on what battery may be I in yours anyway, then maybe there is some identification that you could see without removing it to cross reference it.

• I think it might be best to at least remove your battery cover to see if you have a car style battery or a motorcycle style battery. It seems that there is confusion on what battery may be I in yours anyway, then maybe there is some identification that you could see without removing it to cross reference it.

I called my local battery dealers who claimed to cross-reference my 2015 battery from the Polaris part number. I didn't buy so I can't confirm.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I think it might be best to at least remove your battery cover to see if you have a car style battery or a motorcycle style battery. It seems that there is confusion on what battery may be I in yours anyway, then maybe there is some identification that you could see without removing it to cross reference it.

As you might have noticed from this thread that I posted earlier - Short Tool List - I do not yet have all of the torx drivers needed to work on my Slingshot as such right now I don't have the ability to remove the cover. Having said that I do think you are correct. it seems that it is very possible than not all 2016's have the same battery and the only way I will ever know for sure what I have will be to actually look

Thanks to everyone here for helping - this place is great :)

• A set of torx bits or screw drivers is 10 bucks off Amazon.

So saying that you don't have the tools is a poor excuse.

Sorry, but I was hoping I could get my question answered without having to run out and buy a tool. I didnt know when I started this thread that it wouldn't be a simple answer