Rain Gear

• I am with @kenny_h on the rain. I have had my SS swap ends at 35mph and my foot OFF of the gas pedal...

You all can't say I didn't warn you. I know there are 100 stories about how someone drove in a pouring rain and everything was fine. But there are 20 stories where the SS has decided to go on a path of its own. Sometimes it results in plowing up a field or hitting a guard rail.

Please drop the speed down to 30 or so and find something else to do if you get caught in the rain....

And remember if you hydroplane you are at fault, ticketed for losing control and open for lawsuits.

• I just figured out why the SS is so dangerous in the rain.

When vehicles leak motor oil and tranny fluid and stuff the majority of it lands in the middle of the lane. Rain washes the oils off after while. The most dangerous time to drive is right at the beginning of a storm when the water is laying on top of the oil.

Spin outs occur because our back wheel is in the middle of the lane where other tires aren’t cleaning off the oil. Nobody else’s tires run where our back wheel does. So no oil is removed.

It will always be dangerous to Drive an SS in rain because of the way the SS is designed. The back wheel is constantly on an oil slick. No amount of tread will make it much better. All the more reason to park it in the rain.

• How many years have you been driving? You are just now finding this out? My Dad told me about the middle of the lane before I started driving 47 years ago.

• I'm guessing you never rode motorcycles.

• ^^^
    He's right folks! Doesn't matter if your hydroplaning on a sheen of water, a sheen of oil, or a sheen of water and oil. Even large aircraft hydroplane, but only with gear down on wet runways....

But, if you have the proper rain gear on.... the gear will cut right through the water down to dry pavement and you will be able to maintain grip.

Or, I am BS'ing you and I drove this train back onto the tracks...

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• Since basically half of our year it is raining, we have had a little bit of experience on wet roads. Since we get such copious rain I believe that most of the oil gets washed off the center where water pooling in the ruts has been more our nemesis. The Grasshopper finally decided one day to try to give me a heart attack by taking off on it's own on the Interstate, but it took several inches of water flowing across the highway to induce it. Since then, we have installed BF Goodrich G-Force™ COMP-2™ A/S tires and am still waiting to try them out to see if they help in future wet adventures.

Now, back to the topic at hand, our current two piece rain suits keep us dry enough in up to moderate rain, but when it is really coming down, along with the splashing from surrounding vehicles, we find ourselves sitting in a puddle of water that accumulates in the center groove of our 2015 seats, with the water eventually working it's way trough our current rain gear. So now we are in search of comfortable pants which will still keep us dry even when sitting in water?

Bill

• @wjfyfe agree that basic rain gear only gets us so much. With the blow back from behind I find it gathers on my helmet and then runs down the back. My frog Toggs work pretty good, but eventually fail and I am soaked

Proud Member of SOG!!!!!!!

2015 SL (Yellow) Traded becuase it kept melting

2018 SLR LE with DDM SuperCharger!!! I guess the gray ones are faster...

• @wjfyfe agree that basic rain gear only gets us so much. With the blow back from behind I find it gathers on my helmet and then runs down the back. My frog Toggs work pretty good, but eventually fail and I am soaked

My Frog Toggs worked very well for me on the motorcycle, have not had a chance to use them on the SS yet. I believe mine are the toadz series. I like them but guess I will have to see how they work in the future.

• My rain gear is pulling the hell over! After hydroplaning twice and almost totalling it, I DON'T do rain!

Sent from my SPH-L600 using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

I don't do rain either, way to easy to loose it!

Sent from my iPad using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

Michael West
    Gainesville Ga.
    404-401-0841

:SLRSS::COLDAIRSS::MOTOROILSS: :OILFILTERSS: :00008862::00008698:

:00000436::00000436::00000436:

• We'll, it would depend on where you live on how practical it would be to only ride the SlingShot with only blue skies and sunshine, where here in the Pacific Northwest it would then be parked six months or more out of the year. The Grasshopper has only got away from me once in over two years, it took an unusual amount of water on the road, where the Corvette following me fared much worse than I did, so it just does not happen with the SlingShot. Be conscious of what can happen and ride accordingly.

Bill

• I do agree with @kenny_h and @WingShot. Best to pull over when you can. Rain gear is to cover the in between time.

For example on our trip out to Eureka Springs this year we road the edge of a front for like 2 hours. Light rain then no rain then light Rain.

Proud Member of SOG!!!!!!!

2015 SL (Yellow) Traded becuase it kept melting

2018 SLR LE with DDM SuperCharger!!! I guess the gray ones are faster...

• We'll, it would depend on where you live on how practical it would be to only ride the SlingShot with only blue skies and sunshine, where here in the Pacific Northwest it would then be parked six months or more out of the year. The Grasshopper has only got away from me once in over two years, it took an unusual amount of water on the road, where the Corvette following me fared much worse than I did, so it just does not happen with the SlingShot. Be conscious of what can happen and ride accordingly.

Bill

I believe that a good example of this is how Justina and I grew up in Montana, where unless the snow was up and over the hood you still went to work and the kids went to school. Here in SW Oregon it is so funny when we get just a couple of inches of snow folks call in saying that they cannot make it to work and all the schools shut down. OK, I got to admit that we have yet to get the Grasshopper out into the snow, but I can see where it could be a lot of fun to put skis on the front and a studded tire on the rear! Yee Haaa!!!!!!!!!! :D

Oh, and once we happen to be in Las Vegas when a good gully washer thunderstorm came through, gawd it was hilarious watching everybody slipping and sliding around! (We stayed parked that time! ;) )

Bill