Fire extinguisher Yes or no

• I saw a picture of a fire extinguisher mounted in a slingshot. I also saw pictures of a burning slingshot.... So does anyone know the cause of the SS Fire/s. Is it a common problem or faulty mechanics or equipment? If you have an extinguisher in your SS can you please post some pictures and a link to the extinguisher you bought and why you picked that model. Also interested in mounting locations.

• I saw a picture of a fire extinguisher mounted in a slingshot. I also saw pictures of a burning slingshot.... So does anyone know the cause of the SS Fire/s. Is it a common problem or faulty mechanics or equipment? If you have an extinguisher in your SS can you please post some pictures and a link to the extinguisher you bought and why you picked that model. Also interested in mounting locations.

I keep a marine extinguisher in the cubby behind the drivers seat. It fits in that little cubby back there.

Sent from my iPad using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

• Any vehicle can catch fire. There is a recall on the fuel line but I haven't heard of any just bursting into flames unlike the CanAm Spyders a few years back.

A small halon unit is in my cubby but it's just part of my jump kit.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -- Edmund Burke

• FIRE EXTINGUISHER YES OR NO

Things to consider:

Which can you afford?

To repair or replace.

Insurance will probably come closer on the dollar for repair but will probably come up considerably short on replacement.

If it catches fire, do you want to save it or roast marshmallows while waiting for the fire department?

You will want a fire extinguisher classification A,B,Ç. This rating is for textiles, liquid, electrical. Most in that class are powder and extremely messy as they crust on contact with hot surfaces. (Clean up time consuming)

The larger the extinguisher, the more fire fighting capability you will have. But even then, duration of discharge will be limited to seconds. Storage will dictate size.

@aobfarm be aware... The military went full bore on halon extinguishers... shortly after deployment throughout all branches, young folk started having heart attacks. The military restricted use of halon to outside areas only. None to be used in enclosed spaces. Turns out that halon and adrenaline caused irregularities in the heart.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• @airoutlaw, thanks for the word of warning. Career firefighter, so I know the risk but it enables me to have a smaller package to put with my med bag. Wish they made a dry chemical in that size that was worth spit but with powder it's all about volume.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -- Edmund Burke

• This is @airoutlaws sweet setup...

At the front edge of the passenger seat on the floor is a rise of about 2 and 1/2 inches. It is slightly angled and through that channel underneath is steel channeling of the frame support. After marking the mounting holes and checking to make sure I wasn't going to drill into something important, I drilled through both the plastic floor hump and metal channel. Yep, the mount ain't going nowhere...

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• Good points @airoutlaw, I know, sadly because I used it. I have total loss replacement. When my 2015 SL was totalled, my insurance company gave me 2016.5 SL new purchase amount and the standard 3k for accessories. I removed all my mods. I am now covered for 10k in mods. If it goes up in flames in 2020, I will get 2020 MSRP plus 10k.

I'm rethinking the fire extinguisher now that you pointed out clean up, and the "repaired" status. ^^

• If my Sling catches on fire I ain't gonna need halon for a broken heart ;(:D

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• Good points @airoutlaw, I know, sadly because I used it. I have total loss replacement. When my 2015 SL was totalled, my insurance company gave me 2016.5 SL new purchase amount and the standard 3k for accessories. I removed all my mods. I am now covered for 10k in mods. If it goes up in flames in 2020, I will get 2020 MSRP plus 10k.

I'm rethinking the fire extinguisher now that you pointed out clean up, and the "repaired" status. ^^

I'll be asking about your insurance at @SlingRider

• I think you need to be prepared. I have too much time wrapped up to see my little red machine go up in flames. If a little dry chemical extinguisher isn't enough. It won't be salvageable. I won't feel bad about not trying!
    I'm long legged so with steering wheel removed I have no problem stepping over. No jacking around grabbing it even harnessed!

• Might not want it salvageable and you have to be up close and personal to fight fire (gas tank?)..I think best bet would be to:
    1) get out and move away
    2) call fire department
    3) call insurance company
    I wonder how much is given on average policy for mods?

You can have your mods covered on your policy, it doesn't cost very much additional to cover them.

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014