Deal's Gap Dragon Question

• You're saying don't be last in line? Lol

• In other words @rabtech is saying that you are on your own and he ain't stopping.

It just depends.... It would depend of how fast I was running. How many people were with me. How safe it would be to slip on down the road and find me a good hiding hole, Mostly based on safety. There are always those times you can absolutely safely get gone. And then there are others when its just not safe to feasible.

• I've ridden the routes mentioned. I've only been on the Rattler once, and it was on my Road King a few years ago. But Moonshine 28 is one of my favorites, as is War Woman Road (not mentioned here, but ends in Georgia at US 28, AKA Moonshine 28). While I do like the Dragon (found it in 1994, wasn't the Dragon then), it is too busy most times. Hit it Tuesday thru Thursday, and it's likely not too bad. Nice road, definitely the most challenging I've ridden. It was worst a few years ago. All the turns are banked now, in favor of the driver's lane. There was a time, about 10 or so years ago, that you would need to look for drag marks in the center of the road on a left hard turn. The reason was that it was where the "Low Boys" (semis that weren't supposed to be there and were pulling low trailers) would drag bottom in the middle of the road. That meant that the road had a crest, or hump, in the center of the lane. That also meant that your lane wasn't banked, it was leaning the opposite way. If you didn't know this, and pushed it, you would end up off the road somewhere. It's not my favorite though. I keep mine between the lines. Riding roads like this is not like riding a race track. Some think it is, and the use the whole road (both lanes) including your lane. Good place to have something bad happen. I was fortunate last Labor Day weekend to ride it 3 times. The trip in was Saturday night, and congested but slower pace. Sunday morning I left an R1 with an 1100 kit and and Italian that had both tires sliding in the turns because he couldn't stay with me. We talked at the "Mouth of the Dragon", at the overlook. He quickly admitted (using many colorful metaphors that all were the same and began with and F) that he was on the wrong machine. Just saying, if your skill is up to it, there's not many things that can beat a Slingshot in the curves if you choose to push it and the ability is there.

I've been riding these roads for all my adult life. I know the area well enough I don't usually look at a map. I'm on the "Tail of the Dragon's" site in more than a just a few years. Only last summer on the SS, but many times on the Harley, and I don't go 15-20 MPH on the curves on it either. Can't stay with the sportbikes (if a good rider), but I can run most others into the weeds on it. I love the curves, the mountains, the twists. It's what I crave....