Super or Turbo Charger for MyToy

• My belief is the most power you would want is in the 350 to 380 range. Bigger numbers are great, but it can become hard to drive aggressively in the turns. At 320 now it is still predictable and controllable with the SC. Not sure how much higher it will stay that way.

My thoughts exactly. 400-500 is great, but it's a handful and only use full at high speeds with a single tire in back.

• I personally went turbo...mostly from the stand point of efficiency at high altitude. SC's typically have some amount of parasitic power loss. This isn't to say it will have a negative effect...but for me...making sure I wasn't adding any more drain to the engine to get more power as I cruise anywhere from 6k-12K above sea level. That being said...turbo was the way to go for me up in the thin air of Colorado.

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...

• Very big price difference between the built motors that are out and a v8. I spoke to alpha about a v8 I believe it's about a 25k bill.

Wow! no wonder there's no info listed on their site about it. You can buy a crate LS3 long block from Summit for $6750 and Werks makes a Solstice/Sky conversion kit for 3K.
    Chevrolet Performance LS3 6.2L 376 C.I.D 430 HP Engine Assemblies 19301326 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing
    WERKS Kappa/LSx DIY Conversion Kit, Performance Autowerks

• I believe a lot more needed definitely need a transmission exhaust welding work on frame tuning I mean it's a lot more then just buying a crate motor and a conversion kit. I spoke to Henry at an event about it and if it were that easy and even any where near the same price to go ls3 I would have probably chosen that route . Maybe @Tango would be kinda enough to share just how much the bill was give or take

• Do both. I'm sure it will be just a matter of time before alpha or ddm offers both. Can you imagine take off like a rocket with the supercharger then at about 60 the turbo kicks it in the ass with another boost of power. You better save your money.

• I believe a lot more needed definitely need a transmission exhaust welding work on frame tuning I mean it's a lot more then just buying a crate motor and a conversion kit. I spoke to Henry at an event about it and if it were that easy and even any where near the same price to go ls3 I would have probably chosen that route . Maybe @Tango would be kinda enough to share just how much the bill was give or take

$25k is probably a good marker. Start throwing in more options like fuel rails, ceramic coating, cam, etc. and you can see $30k if you start ticking too many option boxes. Of course you can also make a RELIABLE 1,300 hp with it as well, ask Hennessey.

Some make coversion kits for the tranny but that is laughable. I have a T56 Magnum 6 speed and it will last longer than the slingshot. you will grenade the clutch and 5 speed with high hp. it was made for 200.

The difference with the LS3 is it is by far the most durable option. My motor is waaaaaaaaay understressed. My transmission was made to deal with huge slicks, 800hp and 4,000lb cars. It was used in the 662hp GT500 for a reason.

Having said all that... I probably would go the Alpha or DDM SC route. I drove the preproduction DDM SC back to back with my JonV turbo, as well as other turbos, and I liked the linear power better than the turbo.

You will coax more power out of a turbo but you will always have lag. Some love that rush of power when it spools up, I prefer the linear, right now power of the SC.

I've driven them all - Hahn turbo, Alpha Turbo, JonV turbo, DDM SC, and Alpha LS3 V8 and for the money, the SC is hard to beat. If money is no object it is an LS3 every day of the week and twice on Sunday but I may also be a little biased. ;)

• Nothing is sexier and more exciting than the feeling of a turbo winding out powder and feeling it drive and pull faster and harder and when you're finished hammering away, you get the satisfying sound of the blowoff valve to remind you that you are a f-ing king. Superchargers just whine the whole time like a nagging wife.

I always ride safe sometimes!

Toys in the Sand Box:
    2016 400hp Alpha Turbo Sling
    2016 BMW s1000rr - Austin Racing
    2015 AR 240 Jet Boat 4,000watt Stereo
    2002 CBR 954
    2003 CRF 450

• i think either would be fine if your just looking for more power.but if your like a most guys on the forum you will get use to the power fast and want more. now I've heard with both alpha and ddm that those superchargers are already kinda peaked out at the power they can produce. now to get the full use of the turbo it kinda requires a built motor but, with a forged motor and turbo, i believe you will see numbers that the super chargers will not see even with a built motor, remember the built motors are just made to handle more power so if you can produce it the motor will handle it, and i know those superchargers aren't rated for over 500 hp. the turbos are. i personally think the compressor for the super charger runs to loud. takes way from the sounds of the motor. just my opinion

I know the other SC is maxed out but our Rotrex SC is far from it. We start you out with about 280 hp and can ramp it up to the 350 range. And when this supercharger runs out ( your engine will give up before the SC will ) we can build you a stronger engine, bolt a larger rotrex unit in the exact same place, and without changing any of the original SC kit, shoot for the moon !!

Cams + Supercharger = Happiness
    Granted this dyno run was with the supercharger on a Stock engine with our new cams. But it was only at 10.5 PSI of boost.

Just my 2 cents -- I went with Alpha's SC. Don't get me wrong, I think the guys at DDM are cool. But, I'm a Vortech fan. The Vortech V3 is bullet proof and user rebuildable. There are Mustang guys who run Vortech's V3 in Nevada's Silver State Classic Challenge... That's an open road as-fast-as-you-wanna-go race that's pretty much open to anyone. It runs on Hwy 318 from Lund to Hiko. And, V3 SC's have survived multiple runs of this race, year after year. Pretty much, you're WOT for 30+ minutes. I wouldn't put even money that the Rotrex would tolerate that too well... Check out the video on the link below:

It's been my dream to run this race -- at least once in my life... I keep telling myself "next year!" Then, life gets in the way...

I don't mean to sound too defensive here but its friday and I am all hopped up on coffee this morning. :D

Supercharging the Scion FR-S With Jackson Racing | Speed Academy

Our Rotrex superchargers come to us from Jackson Racing. These superchargers are torture tested and used in racing all over.

Here are some quotes from the rotrex and vortech websites.

Rotrex: Rotrex A/S

"Rotrex dates back to the early 1970's when Anders P. Kolstrup - today Technical Director - being a passionate race driver, was continuously looking for improvements in engine development and performance. In 1996 the first patent was issued, followed by a string of international patents granted."

Vortech: About Us – Vortech Superchargers

"Founded in 1990 by Jim Middlebrook, Vortech Engineering, Inc. engineers efficient, high technology air management solutions for automotive, marine, industrial, aeronautical, and other motorsports applications. Since our inception, Vortech has been on the cutting edge of centrifugal compressor design technology, owning several patents, and winning numerous design awards, SEMA “Best New Product” awards, and countless racing championships in all manner of sanctioning bodies all over the world. "

Now as always its different strokes for different folks so you do what makes you happy. The Rotrex supercharger kit we designed for the slingshot is the most efficient, coolest running kit out there. And we have done a lot of research and testing to be absolutely sure of this.

Jeff Mellor
    DDMWorks
    119A Highway 183
    Piedmont, SC 29673
    Orders - 864-438-4949
    Tech Support - 864-907-6004
    www.DDMWorks.com

Edited once, last by Jeff@DDMWorks ().

• I think around 280 -300 Hp range, What is needed to get a stock engine with cold air intake and 320 exhaust manifold up to this???

Do not resent growing old. Many are denied.... The Privilege :REDSS: :SUPERCHARGERSS: : :HEADERSS: : :COILOVERSS: Wycked hitch

• @mytoy Our base DDMWorks Rotrex kit will put you exactly in that 280 - 300 hp range.

DDMWorks Slingshot Rotrex Supercharger Kit

Our kit will eliminate your cold air intake as the supercharger has its own intake.
    But the 1320 header and exhaust are great additions to the supercharger to help it flow and make more power.

Jeff Mellor
    DDMWorks
    119A Highway 183
    Piedmont, SC 29673
    Orders - 864-438-4949
    Tech Support - 864-907-6004
    www.DDMWorks.com

• Nothing is sexier and more exciting than the feeling of a turbo winding out powder and feeling it drive and pull faster and harder and when you're finished hammering away, you get the satisfying sound of the blowoff valve to remind you that you are a f-ing king. Superchargers just whine the whole time like a nagging wife.

Evidently you have not been around the DDM SC. I have seen people jump when the BOV goes. That's in their car with the windows rolled up.
    Now this is ment in humor. The only blow off the turbo is doing better than the SC is the sound of the engine exploding.
    Whoops, did I go there?

• Come on ya'all
    Different strokes for different folks. I have this same argument with my sister and her fancy Pro-Mod
    But I can turn on a dime and she needs a 1/4 mile to make a left

Totally agree. Just responding in line with the banter. Think we are just having fun.
    Have you you got to experience the ProMod?

• Evidently you have not been around the DDM SC. I have seen people jump when the BOV goes. That's in their car with the windows rolled up.Now this is ment in humor. The only blow off the turbo is doing better than the SC is the sound of the engine exploding.
    Whoops, did I go there?

lol touche my friend! You are right though I've never experienced SC.... all I know is I love my TC!

I always ride safe sometimes!

Toys in the Sand Box:
    2016 400hp Alpha Turbo Sling
    2016 BMW s1000rr - Austin Racing
    2015 AR 240 Jet Boat 4,000watt Stereo
    2002 CBR 954
    2003 CRF 450