Roll Call - Alpha Turbo Smoke Issue

• Yea. I doubt you had metal in anything that would cause smoke. However,,,,, did you drill that hole out just a little bit in the intake manifold? I think someone had a copy of the instructions somewhere. Maybe that can attach it in this thread... I'm betting that is the place your getting the smoke from.

• To date, mine has not had the slightest puff of smoke. Doesn't mean it won't, but so far, so good.
    @VIPNiSS....I mentioned this in your post on the other site about the same subject and it may be of interest here as well:

When Henry installed my turbo system, he changed out my engine oil to Rotella T6 5w-40. He said it was the best for their turbo system, and not to use Mobil1 or oils comparable to Mobil1. He was also quite adamant about changing the oil every 2,500 miles.

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• Yea. I doubt you had metal in anything that would cause smoke. However,,,,, did you drill that hole out just a little bit in the intake manifold? I think someone had a copy of the instructions somewhere. Maybe that can attach it in this thread... I'm betting that is the place your getting the smoke from.

Here is a link to the instructions, Use a 3/32 drill bit and only go in about an1/8 inch. your just cleaning out the hole.

Turbo install.pdf - Google Drive

• Just wondering if anyone has an answer to this one (and I'm NOT trying to promote one vendor's product over anothers). Why does the Alpha turbo smoke if the hole is not drilled, and the Hahn turbo system has no such issues or instructions? Do they build boost at different rpm's and draw less/more vac at lower rpms?

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Our turbo sits a bit lower than other kits, because we utilize the factory manifold location. This is the reason that we need to have constant vacuum in the crankcase at low RPM to keep it from backing up the oil return. If the LE9 had a PCV valve this would not be a problem But GM just put the small hole in there on these engines.

Note: One thing to remember about our kit is we have hundreds of them out on the road. You see more things about our kit because of the shear numbers. We have many customers with 10-30K miles on their Slings and as long as they follow our lead and don't mess with the kit. They have very reliable vehicles.

• Thank you @AlphaAndy for the explanation you provided and for the possible reasons why some systems are smoking and some are not.
    I, for one, have an alpha installed turbo system and up until these recent posts regarding turbo issues, I'd never even heard of the "issue". I live in the desert southwest where temps regularly are either close to or over 100 degrees. I have run my sling for long distances 80-90 miles in the triple digit speeds in 105 temps and other than shitty gas mileage, I've experienced ZERO issues having to deal with the turbo. Any issues, none having to do with the engine, have been due to something inherited from Polaris. Starting to see a bunch of folks starting to worry about and questioning the quality of the Alpha system and I feel are unsubstantiated.

• I left this morning at 3am and it was 39 degrees and when I started mine up I was expecting to hear the normal valve noise till the oil come to the top. It surprised me when it started. It was silent...

I can tell you that I about froze my ass off on my favorite stretch of interstate. I ran way into the triple digits and the Alpha system worked flawlessly. It builds boost so much faster than my other system... If you touch the accelerator it will jump from a vacuum to 11psi positive pressure in a split second... That is what I said from the start was the most fun part of the Alpha system for me...

• I left this morning at 3am and it was 39 degrees and when I started mine up I was expecting to hear the normal valve noise till the oil come to the top. It surprised me when it started. It was silent...

I can tell you that I about froze my ass off on my favorite stretch of interstate. I ran way into the triple digits and the Alpha system worked flawlessly. It builds boost so much faster than my other system... If you touch the accelerator it will jump from a vacuum to 11psi positive pressure in a split second... That is what I said from the start was the most fun part of the Alpha system for me...

Be careful at that speed - I already know your lawyer luvs you but so do we (in a manly way of course) :D

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• Yeah! 39 degrees?!? Triple digits on a sudden patch of ice... ¡No bueno!

Mim buddy that is in Alabama. They wait until 32* to worry about ice. They are not like us down here. When it gets below 40 we are hunkered down waiting for the snowpocalypse.

:BLUESS:
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    ~Mark Twain~

• Mine smokes and I have the hole drilled out. It seems to smoke most at idle. Usually there is no smoke for the first 90 seconds or so after starting and warming up. After 90 seconds i start getting dark smoke. I haven't seen it while driving. Maybe oil on the hot side of the Turbo burning off? Im not noticing any oil usage when i check the dipstick. Any solution or explanation would be great. Thanks

• Mine smokes and I have the hole drilled out. It seems to smoke most at idle. Usually there is no smoke for the first 90 seconds or so after starting and warming up. After 90 seconds i start getting dark smoke. I haven't seen it while driving. Maybe oil on the hot side of the Turbo burning off? Im not noticing any oil usage when i check the dipstick. Any solution or explanation would be great. Thanks

What color is the smoke for the first 90 seconds?