Hydroplaning is real

• Not too surprising that they're changing the motor. I think I read somewhere that GM stopped production of the LE5 a couple years ago. If that's accurate, then the motors in our Slings are essentially GM surplus. Perhaps Polaris got a killer deal on those engines, which helped keep initial production costs down. So, if they are running out of surplus, replacing them with newer GM motors is probably too cost prohibitive. Of course that is all speculation, so don't hold me to it.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    ― Douglas Adams

• I can't say that they will or won't be changing engines. But I can say it looks like they have no immediate plans to change it. They are jigging the new plant up to run the exact frame and equipment that they have now. I do understand it would just mean that they would have to have an engine that had the same spacing on the engine mounts. AND transmission mounts.

I just dont see Polaris re jigging the frame and drivetrain to accommodate a different engine. They already know that people would only accept the same (or better) power levels. And the only change that could put a serious SPIKE in sales numbers is an automatic transmission.

The engine they have now IS currently being produced and we all know it's a fact that it will run with an automatic transmission. So I can see it being a valid engine for a while longer.

I don't want statements like mine to hinder progress so if Polaris reads this and they have a BETTER power plant ready to go and it's smoother and stronger then by all means please let us have a sneak peak. In a few months I'll have mine paid for and be ready to add another to my garage. :thumbup::D

• Not too surprising that they're changing the motor. I think I read somewhere that GM stopped production of the LE5 a couple years ago. If that's accurate, then the motors in our Slings are essentially GM surplus. Perhaps Polaris got a killer deal on those engines, which helped keep initial production costs down. So, if they are running out of surplus, replacing them with newer GM motors is probably too cost prohibitive. Of course that is all speculation, so don't hold me to it.

That information is not accurate .....

GM stopped production of the LE5/9 in the US a few years back ....

At that time production was moved to their Mexico city engine plant.....where they recently spent a few million $$$ for expansion of its foundry and assembly line .... the motor is still in full production and continues to be OEM for GM models outside of the US (with lower emissions standards) as well as several other makes all over the world .... this motor was and is used in more cars that don't carry a GM badge than those the do .......

Look on the left side of your engine block just under the alternator ...you will see where your motor was built ...... post-3012-1238556779.gif

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

The engine they have now IS currently being produced and we all know it's a fact that it will run with an automatic transmission. So I can see it being a valid engine for a while longer.

That information is not accurate .....

GM stopped production of the LE5/9 in the US a few years back ....

.... the motor is still in full production and continues to be OEM for GM models outside of the US ...

rab & Orange,
    Thanks for setting the record straight on that. Leave it to some misinformed idgit to go spreading wild rumors without doing their homework. :whistling:

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    ― Douglas Adams

• Back to the hydroplaning is real part.

I drove home on Saturday from SSITS and from Cincinnati to Indianapolis was a horrible down pour. I never slid or even lost traction.

It was very scary and when it got to hard to see I stopped, but for most part did well.

Nitto 555 on front and Proxie T1r on back.

Proud Member of SOG!!!!!!!

2015 SL (Yellow) Traded becuase it kept melting

2018 SLR LE with DDM SuperCharger!!! I guess the gray ones are faster...

• @SlingRider, what tire pressure are you running? Now that I have heard nothing but good things about the Nitto 555, I think my choice is made.

• I have 32 all way round.

You might look at the continental tires. DW. I believe. They are rated really high for wet traction.

@paintet has them on his and I believe they were on the quad sling at SSITS

Proud Member of SOG!!!!!!!

2015 SL (Yellow) Traded becuase it kept melting

2018 SLR LE with DDM SuperCharger!!! I guess the gray ones are faster...

• Off-Topic - New Engine comment
    While I tend to agree with @rabtech about customers wanting existing power levels or better, one of the questions in the late Summer 2015 survey from Polaris specifically asked about a cheaper version of the Slingshot with less HP, so it would seem to me that a new engine is a possibility. If Polaris goes that route, I would certainly like to see a lighter, smaller version to hopefully make up for at least part of the power loss.

• My personal opinion on the new engine option is in weight saving.
    The weight they are currently at is max for a motorcycle and that prevents them form offering any OEM options. That means they are missing out on a huge cash cow.
    If they can shave a say 100lbs they can make another 1 - 2k in options.

Just my opinion!

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• @SlingRider We got caught in that same system. Nothing left dry after that downpour.

So, a big thanks to everyone's experiences they have shared here. It made us more aware, and expecting the hydroplaning when the rain got heavy.

I have two things to share now.

1) travelling under overpasses -- that transition between dry spot and wet is an almost instant breakaway. Scary as hell

2) your highways are different!! Not sure if it is the amount of oil used in the asphalt or due to the traffic, but it makes even light rain interesting

• Today coming home from SSITS we ran thru 300 miles of medium rain. I slowed down and kept a tight reign on the Slingshot. Running the Nitto 555 and only a little dance when I hit a stream of water rushing across the road. One thing that I have noticed is that is when you hit even a slight 'bump' it will have a tendency to 'dance'. Supper care needed when driving this beast in the rain.