Hydroplaning is real

• If the photo was straight on, you would see they are brighter.

I don't think they're that much brighter straight on. The Canadian version has all the lights on even on low beam. They only get brighter when Hi beam is selected due to a mechanical shutter in that light which just reveals more of the bulb. All of the bulbs are single filament, HID or not. Not bashin, just sayin. :D

All the oil might be in Alberta but the dipsticks are in Ottawa!

• Just a thought, could it be possible the Slingshots are not hydroplaning but just losing traction from the rear tire from all the oil and other stuff that leak from vehicles that falls in the center of the road? Water and oil don't mix so could it be possible the rear tire lose traction because of this? Does any one know if the hydroplaning occurs on the front tires or rear tire?

• Just a thought, could it be possible the Slingshots are not hydroplaning but just losing traction from the rear tire from all the oil and other stuff that leak from vehicles that falls in the center of the road? Water and oil don't mix so could it be possible the rear tire lose traction because of this? Does any one know if the hydroplaning occurs on the front tires or rear tire?

They all lift off at once. Of course road surface makes a big difference as to the water build up. Water phobic oil on the road acts like a "slippery slide", and greatly reduces the ability of the tire to displace the water to contact the road surface.

Bottom line is - yes - THEY HYDROPLANE LIKE HELL! ahhhh - that felt good....

Home of the free - because of the brave

• So I haven't yet driven in rain with SS.. But know from my BMW 12 driving cross country rides that I drove very fast 60 to 80 mph in driving rain.
    Sure at times I should not have been going that fast and maybe lucky at times to not have had accident.
    The reason I own SS is because I fell last year with wife on back driving fast into corner on dry road .
    Being 64 and driving like you are 20 yrs old tends to catch up with you in time.

But want to throw few things out to others and get thoughts ..

When driving SS home first day and going 85 to 95 mph on interstate I noticed some slight lifting at going over bridges where road had interruptions.
    Those fenders are wings and wonder at speeds if this could play big part into hydroplaning ?
    Also wonder if ballast was added on rear if this would help some .
    I have been thinking of lead in swingarm casting for better traction.
    The new body that I am trying to come up with would do away with the wing fenders and interested in seeing if at speeds that changes what I feel
    driving SS when driving home that first day.
    So guess would like to see how others feel about fixes for SS .
    Or just slow way down or know you have to get off road when rain is heavy?
    The thing with slowing down and being so low you have more chance of not being seen and run over from rear in right conditions.

So what will most do in heavy rains ??

• Any suggestions as to what we can do to the Slingshot to improve resistance to hydroplaning? Different tires, different sized tires, weighing the 3 wheels and balancing the weight better? Granted, the rear is light BUT there's only one wheel back there carrying the load instead of two. I'm actually a bit heavier back there due to Corbin Bags, stuff in them and a tow bar. The SS is driven in the rain all the time (think of all the owners driving to Maggie Valley next month), why do some depart and others don't? Yup, driving technique, slowing down or not driving are obvious answers. I'm driving to Maggie Valley again this year and I've got a feeling I'm going to be sweating in that rainsuit even if it's cold.

• The attached image is a very good reference for understanding down force and how it is effectively used in F1 racing. The Slingshot is a very strange vehicle in reference to aerodynamics. It looks like it should be better than it is but I bet it never saw a wind tunnel at all. The front spoiler-wings really are not doing much with all that air rushing past then past the inner front tire and into the firewall area. Would love to see what one looks like with air flowing over it. With that said I think the best possible way to add down force to the rear is not an upper wing as some might assume (lots of turbulent air), but rather a diffuse up under the rear leading outward towards the rear tire (image shows as much as 40% increase). I have looked at ways to do it on the cheap (seeing the airflow) and might just have to do the old taped on yarn trick and video the air flow. Would look funny going down the road but without a computer simulator or access to a wind tunnel its about I i can do.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• I cancelled out on EJ and Painter because I can't do the trip without a wingman. I was going to meet Shack and those guys in Savanah but they have business. Sucks not being able to talk without a machine. I will miss you guys and especially the folks that have done so much for me - Jim, I can't thank you enough.

Home of the free - because of the brave

• The attached image is a very good reference for understanding down force and how it is effectively used in F1 racing. The Slingshot is a very strange vehicle in reference to aerodynamics. It looks like it should be better than it is but I bet it never saw a wind tunnel at all. The front spoiler-wings really are not doing much with all that air rushing past then past the inner front tire and into the firewall area. Would love to see what one looks like with air flowing over it. With that said I think the best possible way to add down force to the rear is not an upper wing as some might assume (lots of turbulent air), but rather a diffuse up under the rear leading outward towards the rear tire (image shows as much as 40% increase). I have looked at ways to do it on the cheap (seeing the airflow) and might just have to do the old taped on yarn trick and video the air flow. Would look funny going down the road but without a computer simulator or access to a wind tunnel its about I i can do.

I can honestly say I have never had the back end kick out on me - not even on the track, I wonder if the wing and spliter I am using are adding some needed downforce? Or is I am I just lucky - If so this is the only time I have ever been lucky at anything

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Given the relatively small size of the Slingshot's fenders/wings, I seriously doubt they have much to do with the Slingshot's tendency to hydroplane. Hydroplaning occurs when the amount of water building up under a tire exceeds the tire's ability to drain the water out from under the tire in combination with a lightweight vehicle and relatively wide tread pattern. The wider tire makes it easier for water to build up underneath the tire while the vehicle's light weight makes it easier for the vehicle to "climb" up onto the water. The real problem is light vehicle with wide tires. If you want to drive safely in rain, you need tires biased for rain operation that are designed to maximize moving the water out from under the tire. Such a tire will undoubtedly impact dry road performance/traction since it will be more likely to have less rubber in contact with the road surface due to wider drain channels for the water.
    Personally, I don't go out if it is already raining or rain is highly likely. If I do get caught in rain, then I slow down if I can't find a spot out of the rain to wait out the downfall.My dealer is 100 miles away and both times I have gone there for service, I've hit rain on the way back and I've typically dropped my speed from 70 mph down to 50-55 or slower if the rain or puddling is heavy.

• My fear of hydroplanning was bad enough. Now I have read through this. X/

Then I go and put a 345 on the back and you all know how much that helps to avoid the hydro. NOT.

@Painter, @DKF Texas and I will be heading to SSITS together. Maybe ER should tether ours together!!!!!!

Pray for dry roads or it will be a very long trip.

Proud Member of SOG!!!!!!!

2015 SL (Yellow) Traded becuase it kept melting

2018 SLR LE with DDM SuperCharger!!! I guess the gray ones are faster...