Speedo Calibration

• I understand going larger on replacement tires will throw the speedometer off a little, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever had theirs recalibrated? Can you do it yourself? I didn't find anything in the thread search and I'm by no means an expert on it.

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• Thanks to everyone for the input. I'm still running stock Kendas with only 10,000 miles on them and they're in great shape, however, when comes the time for replacements, I want to take it up a notch and have a little more profile between me and the road all the way around. There's a fella on here that posted a photo of three magnificent looking tires that I want. I believe they were Michelin tires, but I'm still searching through the gallery trying to find that photo. All I remember was the tires were sitting in his garage and his cap was sitting on top of one of them... lol So, anyway, if this only drops the speedo by about three mph, I probably won't bother with recalibration. I was just curious how difficult, or expensive, it would be and if anyone had ever done it.

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• Found them! drfubar posted the photos I was looking for of his Michelin Pilot Sport all-season 4s and those are the one's I'd like to try next. I figure those tires, married up with a set of JRI Grand Touring shocks will give me the ride comfort I'm looking for.

• Thanks to everyone for the input. I'm still running stock Kendas with only 10,000 miles on them and they're in great shape, however, when comes the time for replacements, I want to take it up a notch and have a little more profile between me and the road all the way around. There's a fella on here that posted a photo of three magnificent looking tires that I want. I believe they were Michelin tires, but I'm still searching through the gallery trying to find that photo. All I remember was the tires were sitting in his garage and his cap was sitting on top of one of them... lol So, anyway, if this only drops the speedo by about three mph, I probably won't bother with recalibration. I was just curious how difficult, or expensive, it would be and if anyone had ever done it.

If you run with a GPS check the mph there... A friend I ride with has 20 inch wheels all the way around and he is off 2 or 3 mph. Be nice to LEO when he stops you.

• If you run with a GPS check the mph there... A friend I ride with has 20 inch wheels all the way around and he is off 2 or 3 mph. Be nice to LEO when he stops you.

When I do rides with my HOG group most of us are connected through an intercom system. Speedometers are close but still all over the place. The GPS units have proven to be very reliable. My slingshot speedometer has always had a high reading. 70 is actually about 67.

• When I do rides with my HOG group most of us are connected through an intercom system. Speedometers are close but still all over the place. The GPS units have proven to be very reliable. My slingshot speedometer has always had a high reading. 70 is actually about 67.

The hog group won’t let me join cause slingshot wait till I walk in pay cash for a paperweight

• I understand going larger on replacement tires will throw the speedometer off a little, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever had theirs recalibrated? Can you do it yourself? I didn't find anything in the thread search and I'm by no means an expert on it.

The factory computer can only be set, by the dealer's Monkey Wrench diagnostics computer, to recognize the two factory size front/rear tire combo's.

• I remember seeing speed correction decals that could be inserted inside the speedometer display for motorcycles to correct the built-in under display of speed for Japanese bikes, among others. This required disassembly and reassembly of the speed gauge. I had thought about designing a speed correction overlay that could be placed on the outside of the display, avoiding the disassembly/reassembly. I decided it was just easier to mentally apply the speed correction in my head, but placing an overlay over the display should work for any vehicle where the driver is basically sitting directly in front of the speedometer. The overlay won't correct any odometer discrepancy, but should correct the speed display.

This method would require a somewhat opaque self-stick plastic with the Speedo markings inboard from the area blocking the stock speedo numbers or the corrected speedo numbers might be placed over the stock area, but with some type of opaque color blocking all but the corrected speedo numbers. No idea if the stock speedo lighting will still provide enough illumination using a corrective overlay.

Edited once, last by BKL ().