Muffler failure catastrophic

• I hate to say it but I will the exhaust is crap made from China! I just don’t like it. If I didn’t have several other issues come up this fall I would of already bought the welter! Alpha was good to me for the replacement. So I can’t complain about the customer service from them.

• This exhaust and the variable are a current source of headache for them, allegedly(according to another local rider) the shop who sells the mufflers to alpha has refused to acknowledge that they are defective leaving alpha to eat the whole thing themselves, a rather sour pill to swallow if you ask me.

Didn't know that part. I have the variable. Already had to fix it once, but it was an issue with the flapper, vice body rattle. Guess I'll keep an ear out for that.

• Mine started the baffle rattle just before I traded for a new SS. @BigLills is also havingnthe rattle problem nownwith his.

Very disappointed because I was recommending this exhaust to folks like @BigLills, @bjk81 and others.

Can’t recommend it now.

Proud Member of SOG!!!!!!!

2015 SL (Yellow) Traded becuase it kept melting

2018 SLR LE with DDM SuperCharger!!! I guess the gray ones are faster...

• i have had mine for 3 years now, just went out and checked after reading this. sonofaB!!#! It is cracking but not separated. Anyone get theirs re-welded? I really don't want to buy a whole new system.

• i have had mine for 3 years now, just went out and checked after reading this. sonofaB!!#! It is cracking but not separated. Anyone get theirs re-welded? I really don't want to buy a whole new system.

Tried to get mine rewelded. Really good welder said “No”. Said “too much time was spent polishing to make it look pretty and too little metal was left to work with”.

• well crap, I am going to check around for the hell of it but thanks for the info. I will pull it off and pimp it around for a taker, or science project.

If it was me and I didn't want to spend money for a new one I would try JB Weld first. Maybe cause that's my initials.

RNJ12

• Thanks for all replies.let me see what alpha and slingmods have to say first. Now really not sure which way to go. Is there a muffler from welter that would work side exit? Thanks again for all your reply’s, great family here proud to be part of this community.

Keep Three Wheels Down

I had mine welded with no issue. It depends how much it is separating and the welder you find.

It can be done though.

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• All 3 I replaced had the end cap weld break. That part of the muffler did not anything to do with the local shop who installed the brackets to the core. The cores are Chinese CRAP.

I will agree to a point. There is a level of ownership when sourcing product and then applying modifications. The slingshot is still relatively new and the aftermarket is honestly still finding what works and what doesn't. I will add that all parties are applying products outside of there original designed location (most SS products are adapted from other applications) and therefore must expect some failures. In my opinion the location of the muffler, regardless of the supplier, has to be factored in along with modifications. The loads being requested of the muffler where the cats have been deleted and then being located so close to the manifold amplifies the requirements past most standard designs. Now lets drop in a turbo or a S/C and things really start to multiple. Past the muffler housing itself all mounting points also need to be really beefed up because of vibration that is normally absorbed along a longer traditional exhaust system. I think collectively we should be expecting failures. Personally a large multiple chamber muffler designed similar to the OE both in size and exit point will be needed but at a great cost to the company first to market with it (AKA totally SS design from the start). I can tell you the OE gutted of the internal cat and additional pass through holes into each chamber greatly improved sound and performance. Now the test will be the S/C in the future.

Now these are opinions only. Please do not read anything else into this. We are all learning from our failures and making changes as we go. Yes it sucks but that's how development works.

This is why I still have not purchased an exhaust system yet.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

Edited once, last by Ruptured Duck ().