Cleaning the SS

• Never want to have a large concentration of water in the engine compartment. Kinda' anal, but I use a spray bottle and a lint-free cloth! A whole bunch of electrical...stuff under the hood. Too many thing could go wrong. If you decide to move forward with the pressure washer, use the lowest setting and quickly dry it out.

• Nothing at all. Just thinking ahead. I know where i live in a rural setting i get a lot of dust and dirt from gravel roads etc. i dont plan on taking it on gravel but you never know how much will be in there..

• Never a full on pressure washer and only a sprinkler hose setting to know off the dirt below .... I've got a skid plate so that helps some when it's wet out .... otherwise just a cloth and some chemical guys motorcycle engine cleaner Chemical Guys MTO10816 - Moto Line, Gearhead Motorcycle Cleaner & Degreaser for Drivechains and Engine Parts (4 oz) and even that is rare to use so just wet cloth to get underside of hood if I'm going to show

• I feel your pain, but water in the engine compartment is a bad mix. Get yourself a spray bottle, invest in some high-quality towels, grab a beer or two, roll up you sleeves and ... well, you know the rest. Relax and Enjoy!!!

• I agree with all on the pressure washer issue. I wouldn't put more than 1500 psi only in areas that were void of sensors and gaskets and seals.

I don't even think the factory paint could take much more than that. And it shouldn't. It's on very brittle plastic..

I would do as others have mentioned and get you a hand held spray bottle and apply degreaser to needed areas. Use a soft bristle brush to loosen any debris and then very carefully use a waterhose with regular pressure to remove the chemical cleaner...

I would even be careful with a waterhose...

I have a 4000psi Cat pump pressure washer that I use to clean concrete and tractors and trailers. I don't even get close to my vehicles or SS with it....

You shouldn't have much in your engine bay that needs to much pressure to remove. I clean every part on my engine by hand with a soft rag.

On second thought .... I guess I have been swapping engines and parts and that keeps it looking really new....

:)

• I clean under the hood with the pressure washer, but make sure it doesn't sit down in the sparkplug areas. I just changed out my plugs because they held water, (rain or washing, unknown). They were scorched & cooked and were causing the engine to occasionally miss and loose power.

It was an annoying lesson, but one I am watching out for now.

• I have always had a little different look on water in the engine compartment. First of all I would not use a pressure washer under the hood, to many things can go wrong. Every 2nd or 3rd washing I open the hood and wash everything off with the the same soap used on the rest of the SS, then rise with hose pressure.
    My understanding has always been the engine bay is designed to stand up to the elements. If it runs good before I wash it and then acts different afterwards then there is something wearing out or has come disconnected. I have identified quite a few spark plug wires that were starting to short out over the years. I would rather find the problem in my driveway than 500 miles down the road in a storm.
    If you lightly wash it regularly, it will never get to point needing a good scrub.

• Well I hand wash most the time. But driving every day the motor area gets quite nasty. I had a oil leak and headed to car wash this weekend. Used the degreaser and power washed the motor and underside. I always go for a fast spin after to heat and blow off the water. I figured if I can drive it in the rain then washing it wont hurt.

By the time I save up for mods, I have to buy another rear tire :cursing:

• Never a full on pressure washer and only a sprinkler hose setting to know off the dirt below .... I've got a skid plate so that helps some when it's wet out .... otherwise just a cloth and some chemical guys motorcycle engine cleaner Chemical Guys MTO10816 - Moto Line, Gearhead Motorcycle Cleaner & Degreaser for Drivechains and Engine Parts (4 oz) and even that is rare to use so just wet cloth to get underside of hood if I'm going to show

Thanks for posting the link, would you also recommend just using a spray bottle of water to spray on the degreaser to clean off the chemicals? Would you also use this on the hoses to clean them off? I'm like V-Shot in a sense... :) I prefer to keep the engine clean and looking great everytime I pop the hood to just stare at it.