The 2020 Slingshot Thread

• This is an attempt to upload a video of my Slingshot. I tried it in the Gallery and it said it was the wrong file extension. If you see it, it worked this time. If you don't, why can't I upload .mp4 files? They are smaller than most.

Now that I hit the UPLOAD button, I see that no video file extensions are listed, yet the Gallery says you can upload video files. That sounds like some of the government crap I used to have to put up with.

Thanks for the tip from the post below. The link is now posted to the Gallery.

I see you got it posted in the Gallery. Good job!

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• FWIW: Here are a couple of observatons.

1. I have the factory Slingshade (roof) and the tallest factory windshield. I noticed that I can now ride with my baseball cap on with it not blowing off. Oh, I do wear it the proper way, not backwards like a lot of people do.

2. As for cleaning my ride, I have found a good cheap cleaner if you are one like me that just uses a rag and spray on cleaner. Look for Simple Green. I get it at Walmart and it is cheap and does a good job, both on the body and windshield.

Back about 25 years ago I recall there was a bulletin warning not to use simple green on aircraft surfaces. If I recall it clamed (original) simple green had an etching effect on certain metal surfaces. In all honesty within the aircraft industry there was no deviation (ever) from specific products within technical orders. Personally I wouldn't think of any issues with original simple green. I have used it for home use many times. I was curious and looked it up. Seems they have come out in response with a product that claims can be used in a variety of applications. Sounds like a great multiple purpose cleaner for just about any application, plastic, paint, metals, etc.

https://simplegreen.com/indust…rcraft-precision-cleaner/

• There is a post on FB in the 2020 + owners section about problems with oil consumption on the 2020 Slingshot even with the TSB being done. It used 4qts of oil in 600 miles... Anyone else had this problem...

Here is also a little writeup by Bill Hahn

To add more detail, I work closely with the world's largest Indian dealer, a stone's throw from our establishment here in Daytona Beach. We have a mutually productive and symbiotic relationship with them regarding Slingshot, and it enables me to have a decent look at what's been going on with Prostar engines, as they have a literal pile of same which have been removed for warranty replacement.

Apparently oil consumption is still a thing even on engines that have the updated PCV system. Please know that I am not blanket-disparaging the Prostar. It would be reckless and ill-considered of me to do so for many reasons on a number of levels, including basic truthfulness. All the same, I make it a point to be as objective and observational as a particular situation warrants. I don't gild the lily just to serve my own interests.

That said, I want all of us to keep a very close eye on oil levels/usage and how they react to different operational conditions, rather like you are describing here. As I know you also have a history in the auto service world, I believe we can concur that the "industry standard" is that an engine should not consume more than a quart in 1000 miles. That said, this is the absolute maximum allowable without there being a significant issue afoot, and with modern engines even that level of consumption is unusual and potentially alarming.

If we all made it a point to track oil consumption vs. operating conditions on an organized and consistent basis, it should beget the following benefits:

1. Reduction of engine issues due to oil starvation.
    2. Establishment of a knowledge base among enthusiasts from which we can all benefit.
    3. Prospectively useful feedback for Polaris to continue to study and refine the oil consumption issue.

Again, I emphasize for all reading that I am not "sounding the alarm" against Prostar. We've all seen the diehard Ecotec fans insist the Prostar is a lesser piece, at times adamantly. Even though you'll find no other individual or company who's been modifying Ecotec longer than I (going on 20 years now), as I mention I am not merely a fanboy but a careful objective observer. I don't let an affinity or familarity cloud my judgment. I find Prostar to be a very promising engine, and after my own lifetime in this industry, I well know the growing pains which can accompany a new and ambitious piece. Prostar is far from the only bucking bronc I've ridden, in many a rodeo.

So what I'd like to do is see the proverbial clearer minds prevail. I am currently studying the Prostar closely in my own effort to better understand its individualities, and I am striving to get one of the failed units here in my facility for closer scrutiny. Let us all be careful and calm in our reactions and actions. The engine has superb potential. If we band together to create a "hive mind" to better understand it, all will benefit: me, you, Polaris, the rank and file and all future Prostar owners as well.

I'll do my part to help. We all are indeed in this together, and collectively, we can make a real difference. I remain very confident in Prostar, and I fervently believe we all should.

When the going gets tough.... Downshift.

• Geeze maybe I should check my oil which I don't do often enough. I never reached the 5,000 mile warranty this first year think I got a 1,000 to go. I don't get many miles when most of my rides are just 25 miles. they don't add up fast that way.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• Well there is really not a lot of places to go here in NE Florida like the rides you guys take. L have gotten so I hate to leave Clay County where I live.

Back in the 1970's I spent two separate weeks riding around Florida on my Gold Wing. I found some nice places but do not ask me how to get to them. I was mentally flipping a coin every time that I came to a stop sign or a traffic light.

• Back in the 1970's I spent two separate weeks riding around Florida on my Gold Wing. I found some nice places but do not ask me how to get to them. I was mentally flipping a coin every time that I came to a stop sign or a traffic light.

I did a motorcycle tour around Pennsylvania with my brother a few years back. Basically, a round trip with general plans of north, east, south or west today. Best tour I ever did.

• There are some nice places to see South of here and a few around here but the places around here I seen many times over the last 35 years. When I go to the beaches I want to be fishing not riding around seeing condos. I bought the Slingshot just to ride around here.

• Back in the 1970's I spent two separate weeks riding around Florida on my Gold Wing. I found some nice places but do not ask me how to get to them. I was mentally flipping a coin every time that I came to a stop sign or a traffic light.

And a little less traffic in the 1970's... Just got back from 12 days in the Port Charolette, FL area.

• Well there is really not a lot of places to go here in NE Florida like the rides you guys take. L have gotten so I hate to leave Clay County where I live.

DJohnson, we are right there with you as far as hating to leave Clay county! Looking forward to running into you in the near and warmer future. We've only been to Island Girl cigar bar twice in the SS since my surgery earlier this month but I'm ready to roll when we thaw out.

• Ready to roll yes but not stopping at any cigar bars. I hate the smell of those thing. Was stuck aboard CV 62 for 4 years with a cigar smoking supervisor. Small work shop and he smoked them the whole shift. I went on night shift just so I didn't have to spend 14 hours a day with him around.

• The only thing missing when Hahn writes up this shit is the first line of: ONCE UPON A TIME. If he spent as much time taking care of his customer complaints as he does posting these self serving B.S, he's have a real company with more than 2 employees

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• So subscriptions are also suffering from "supply issues"? How can a subscription for online services be out of stock?

https://slingshot.polaris.com/…onics/2830620/?pfm=Browse

perhaps they are having a shortage of the personal needed to keep the live traffic and live weather current or are planning on eliminating these offerings after all current subscribers subscriptions have ended because they are not profitable - - - - wouldn't be the first time a company that provided these types of services left people hanging

anyway - perhaps its just another one of the many things that is suffering from a lack available people to do the job

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• perhaps they are having a shortage of the personal needed to keep the live traffic and live weather current or are planning on eliminating these offerings after all current subscribers subscriptions have ended because they are not profitable - - - - wouldn't be the first time a company that provided these types of services left people hanging

anyway - perhaps its just another one of the many things that is suffering from a lack available people to do the job

Could be... but no problems with my Ford.... Just saying I have never heard of an online subscription being out of stock online.

When the going gets tough.... Downshift.

• Could be... but no problems with my Ford.... Just saying I have never heard of an online subscription being out of stock online.

I agree I haven't heard of it either, but if you think about it, this is more than just a simple subscription - its actually a subscription to an annual collection of information services - services that require people to be there and work to constantly update the information on a minute by minute basis.

actually the only reason I can think of for something like this to be "out of stock" would be a companies lack of personal to provide these constant updates

oh well - hopefully this will work out for you and they will get things back "in stock":thumbsup:

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies