Someone is having a bad day

• But are these stock machines, boosted, bigger wheels, etc.....All i know is im starting to see this failure in this spot and pics are being posted with no info, now i have the ZZ Performance Pinion brace on mines and for a brief moment had a piece of mind knowing that was one issue i wouldnt have to worry about........but now seeing this pic only gave me a false sense of security because now im like WTF........i consider myself an aggressively SAFE driver but now im like take it easy , you might be stranded 🤔

I agree with MADDMOE this failure is showing up lots more and we don't get enough info to try and find out what is going on. Was it boosted? what else had been done? I saw the brace, which was supposed to stop this and didn't.

This is a serious thing and a failure of that kind could get someone hurt or worse.

We need facts not stupid pictures.

Jamesgn

• I agree with MADDMOE this failure is showing up lots more and we don't get enough info to try and find out what is going on. Was it boosted? what else had been done? I saw the brace, which was supposed to stop this and didn't.

This is a serious thing and a failure of that kind could get someone hurt or worse.

We need facts not stupid pictures.

Jamesgn

Here...here!!!

Drive so you can drive tomorrow, and remember that fun is always on the sunny side up.

• I could be wrong and the engineers at Polaris would probably disagree with my assessment, but in my opinion, the reason you see failures, such as this, in the drive train is because, in spite of what you see in the ads, the Slingshot wasn't built to be driven like an Indy Formula One Racer, it was built to be driven like your grandmother's Buick, but still look cool as hell... just my two cents 😉

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• I could be wrong and the engineers at Polaris would probably disagree with my assessment, but in my opinion, the reason you see failures, such as this, in the drive train is because, in spite of what you see in the ads, the Slingshot wasn't built to be driven like an Indy Formula One Racer, it was built to be driven like your grandmother's Buick, but still look cool as hell... just my two cents 😉

I disagree with that, not many out there that has driven/ridden their Sling harder than I have and for 100,000 miles, but it is not boosted. I have never had a problem with exception of the axle bearings before some of us and Polaris figured that out

• I disagree with that, not many out there that has driven/ridden their Sling harder than I have and for 100,000 miles, but it is not boosted. I have never had a problem with exception of the axle bearings before some of us and Polaris figured that out

You might just be one of the lucky ones. I don't mean to sound like I'm throwing Polaris under the bus, and don't get me wrong, I love my Sling, but I'll always be skeptical about its durability. I think the Slingshot was Polaris' answer to a niche they discovered and realized they could build cheap and sell for a ridiculous price. Now, people are going nuts with the after market boosts and coming to realize the structure of the Sling and its stock components isn't quite what they thought, hence some of the drive train failures we're seeing.

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• You might just be one of the lucky ones. I don't mean to sound like I'm throwing Polaris under the bus, and don't get me wrong, I love my Sling, but I'll always be skeptical about its durability. I think the Slingshot was Polaris' answer to a niche they discovered and realized they could build cheap and sell for a ridiculous price. Now, people are going nuts with the after market boosts and coming to realize the structure of the Sling and its stock components isn't quite what they thought, hence some of the drive train failures we're seeing.

I have not heard of that many of them coming apart

• I have not heard of that many of them coming apart

I agree - yes here on the forum we do tend to hear about anything bad that happens because this is a place specifically focused on one single subject, but

in the real world of Slingshots I suspect the vast majority never have this happen - - even here with this group how many members are there and out of all of those members how many have had a angle drive failure? - - - I think I have seen more pictures posted of slingshot wrecks than I have of angle drive failures

also as noted above I think knowing more about the operating conditions would be nice - as Rab points out this seems to be a different type of failure than what we have seen in the past, but I would still like to know if the angle drive were being subjected to the power of a stock motor or if it were dealing with a built high performance motor

Polaris and its engineers designed the drivetrain of the Slingshot to work reliably with the motor that they put in the vehicle and while I suspect that it was designed with some overhead to provide a safety margin I highly doubt it was in the engineers plans that the drivetrain would be subjected to the kind of power levels that some owners take theirs to

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

that’s why they made it look like it’s going ninety sitting still.

Burnouts can’t be a good thing.

• I have to admit, on the few occasions that I've seen or heard of the angle drive meeting it's demise, I was surprised to see that the drive belt didn't go first. That must be one tough SOB (for which I'm glad) 😉

• I have to admit, on the few occasions that I've seen or heard of the angle drive meeting it's demise, I was surprised to see that the drive belt didn't go first. That must be one tough SOB (for which I'm glad) 😉

so that points to the gear you don’t see in the picture. Did it come out in one piece or many pieces.

• The drive belt is very strong and many believe the Kenda tires were also chosen for their lack of stiction so the belt could deliver power and the rear wheel could spin w/o breaking the belt. We have several owners who have their engines boosted into the 4-500+ HP range w/o breaking their angle drive (yet)!

• The drive belt is very strong and many believe the Kenda tires were also chosen for their lack of stiction so the belt could deliver power and the rear wheel could spin w/o breaking the belt. We have several owners who have their engines boosted into the 4-500+ HP range w/o breaking their angle drive (yet)!

that’s why I’m saying the failures are from bad castings of the case....And if you have a bad case....adding a bigger tire and wheel or boosting the motor or constantly doing burnouts could unduly stress Case.