Whining Noise In Rear End

• Here's a very good post about the problem from another site:

I had the pleasure of picking up my Slingshot LE a few days ago - it was a 7-hour / 500 mile trip home through flat highways, mountains and even the miserable traffic of Atlanta GA. In any case, I enjoyed driving the bike, the great handling even in 90+ degree temperatures or driving through thunderstorms on rain slick highways, regardless - the Slingshot handled perfect.

I’ve been on bikes since I was 14 and pretty much owned everything out there at one time or another- Now in my later years, I’ve become somewhat picky as my past employment for 40+ years of pioneering, designing, and flying; hobby, aerial and military drones (www.rotory.com) makes me a bit more critical, so hopefully my bike is as near perfect mechanical-wise as it could be.

My last bike’s were a Can Am; RT & RTS Tour - I was looking for a 3-wheel bike to replace these but it had to be better! Well, I can happily say; the Slingshot was everything and more than I expected, even the Harley guys who hate everything have to look at this bike when it goes by, which by the way, I was not ready for the entourage of lookers and cell phone images I was about to witness - my good looking Slingshot might have been one of the contributing issues to the Atlanta traffic when I drove through. Anyhow, what is not to love, the SS LE has great looks – plenty of power – comfortable - smooth – vibration-less, everything is perfect except for that damn noisy “90 degree drive” this problem took all those positives and shed a dark cloud on the whole platform.

I’m sure I don’t have to go into detail on this problem – there is thousands of posts on Forums and Google to confirm the Slingshot has a major problem. Let me just start off by saying; if you hear a noise coming out of a mechanical device, (transmission – diff – engine, pump, etc.) “there is something eating it alive” and sooner or later, it will fail. One has to question why Polaris made the decision to go ahead and release the bike with this drive problem.

While the dealers continue to tell customers; it’s just the belt braking in - we all know the sound of the belt – The noise we’re taking about here is mechanical in nature and clearly sounds off under load or when coasting. There’s a lot happening in this drive transferring mechanical load from one direction to another, plus the radial load of the belt being pulled back causing other loading issues.

One thing is for certain, there is no way the Polaris technicians just over-looked this problem, they heard it and they knew it would be a problem long before us mortals even seen the machine. If it was a decision of not wanting to push back release deadlines, or the fact they already ordered thousands of units, we’ll never know. In any case, Polaris decided to install them and here we are today with a major drive-line problem.

As my research confirmed that everyone has this problem, as guys pull the plugs on the 90 degree drives and change the oil in the gearbox, they are finding metal filings, chunks of metal, darkened lubrication and occasional failed bearings, it all but confirms the 90 degree drive design is failed and Polaris needs to step up to the plate and design and replace these failing units we all own. For myself, I can’t think of one car or motorcycle that has a mechanical whine or gear clatter noise so why should we accept this as normal in the Slingshot. If you bought a car and the diff made this racket, you would drive it straight to the dealer, in fact every differential that ever made noise in my cars eventually failed. Anyway you look at it – It’s “Broke” and needs to be fixed.

Regretfully, unless we all have to stand together and make enough noise, Polaris will not fix our problem. While I’m sure some bikes will last past the warranty period, this still puts us all in a bad position when we try to sell our bikes in the future with this problem branded on our foreheads and known by the entire industry.

Another major problem is the failing bearing syndrome on the rear axle, this problem as well has taken the joy and confidence of any "out of town" ventures without the worry of a break-downs resulting in roll-backs, living in a motel and or leaving your bike with an un-experenced Polaris ATV dealer on the road.

Anyhow, I’m putting thread this up so we can have discussion and hopefully make a statement to Polaris that we need to get the problem resolved. Please share your thoughts!

• @EjFord

Weather you spend 20, 30, 40 Thousand dollars it is not pocket change to me or a lot of other people.

I have been battling with Polaris for the last couple of years and they continue to lie to me, that's what really gets to me!

I have owned many Harleys and sports cars and have never had anything as irritating as this noise.

• Why don't you really tell us how you feel? Most of what you have just said is total BS. Why don't you just sell it and be done with it if it is so bad. It is not the major problem that you are trying to make it out to be. OH! By the way I have a pair of Slings a 2015 with 98,000 miles and a 2016 with 11,000 miles.

• When I purchased mine the first thing I did was look for a forum because of the "whine". I'm sure if you dig a few years back you will find my posts. Mine was really loud till 3,000 miles. So much that I was embarrassed at slow speeds in my neighborhood (as you have described for low speeds). At 6,000 it was barely noticeable. I just did a 400 mile trip and preferred to go just about the whole trip without the radio. I didn't bring this up because I'm not sure how many miles you have but sometimes it takes time to allow things to wear in. I love mine now.

• I just read through this thread and I apologize if I missed it but what is the measured deflection on your belt?

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• When I purchased mine the first thing I did was look for a forum because of the "whine". I'm sure if you dig a few years back you will find my posts. Mine was really loud till 3,000 miles. So much that I was embarrassed at slow speeds in my neighborhood (as you have described for low speeds). At 6,000 it was barely noticeable. I just did a 400 mile trip and preferred to go just about the whole trip without the radio. I didn't bring this up because I'm not sure how many miles you have but sometimes it takes time to allow things to wear in. I love mine now.

Frank your just going DEAF. Glad to hear your getting lots of miles in this year. Will you be in Maggie Valley in Aug?

• Frankie55 check my #9 post

Frank your just going DEAF. Glad to hear your getting lots of miles in this year. Will you be in Maggie Valley in Aug?

Hah, my wife says I have selective hearing:). Like others I did get my dinner refund back. At the moment I haven't made plans for MV in August. Still up in the air. Its around the corner.

• @Frankie55

I have about 17,000 miles on it and its not getting any better.

Ahola,

That's plenty of miles for a wear-in. Perhaps you do have some issues? I like the Corbin saddle pods. Like you I have had may motorcycles of all brands, 40+ years of riding 2 wheels and still going. For some reason a few of those motorcycles sound great but when installing a fairing on some of them the engine noise is picked up and amplified by the fairing. The low pressure area created may also pull the noise or create a dead area for the noise to echo. Perhaps someone with Corbins could add some input. But then again like I said no all motorcycles reacted the same with a fairing.

I'm not sure what it would take to remove the Corbins but I really think it's worth a shot. Good luck!

I want to know why the dealer had to remove the Corbin bags to do a belt adjustment ...

I know I could do it in the street with a few hand tools and a beer in 15 minutes without having to touch them?

Sounds like this and a really stupid comment about the angle drive being noisy, a subject that has been discussed since 2014, makes me wonder about the dealer. But I guess there are not many choices on an island that was the last place in the US to allow the Slingshot.

It's the way it is, some are worse than others. Some get quiet with hard use, some don't. Resonance through the bags and under the roof are probably amplifying the sound.

While you are new to this forum this subject is far from so please understand for many this has been beat to death.

.... angel-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Isn't that from the old forum, a 2015 vintage post? Lots of miles on that design since then. Is it a perfect design? Nope but it works, the biggest failures seem to be the case cracking or a seal leaking, not the gears.

• So you're ready to start a class action suit but you haven't checked your own gear yet. BAT ROD loosen the belt and you might be surprised. Mine came from the dealer wound tighter than a banjo string and it not only sounded like hell but it was undrivable. When I had my angle drive replaced under warranty because of a leak, not whine, I told the tech to set the belt where I had it when I brought it in. I initially set mine to 1 3/8" deflection, more than twice Polaris' recommendation. Others have reported success from .875" to 1 1/4". The amount of weight you normally travel with can affect your results. I haven't replaced my fluid yet but I have the materials on hand. My angle drive does talk to me a little under load when accelerating from low speeds but nothing I would complain about. After all, it is an open cockpit. I hope you find the sweet spot for your Sling. Sometimes you have to tweak a bit to find it and the dealer's tech isn't going to do that for you. All that being said, my angle drive is quieter than other Slings I've been in with more miles so maybe I got lucky in the angle drive lotto.

If you do go the legal route you'll want to document every remedy you've tried and there are many documented right here on this forum. Here's a comprehensive list on a recent thread from dallen1059 :

The Ultimate Whine Reducing Plan

By the way, the post you quoted is over 5 years old when the first Slings were delivered. Have you looked for anything more recent to predict the outcome of this class action suit?

Here's post #3 by Orangeman , a very knowledgable, well-known and respected owner on 6/12/15 (same day as original post) from that thread:

You are very late to this party.....lots of past posts on the subject ...many quieted down as their angle drives did......however this particular statement is simply untrue....

IdleUp said: As my research confirmed that everyone has this problem

I would suggest you take your complaint directly to Polaris as it will do you no good here ....

1-800-765-2747

Call with your VIN# and make sure to get a case # that relates to your call........

Oh....and your dealer needs to fix your bumper alignment ......

And the next same day post from TravAZ , another mechanically savvy and boosted owner:

You are a little late to the ball game on this one. I agree with your point that I wish it was quieter, but I highly doubt they are going to do anything to fix it. A couple quick things to note...

1. It will get quieter over time

2. Make sure your belt isn't too tight
    3. Change the fluid out (very easy and not expensive to do)
    4. Put an exhaust on our turn up the stereo

It is not like they were trying to hide it from us when we all purchased. We knew it was loud and people have talked about it to great lengths on the forum.

I heard of a guy that had his angle drive switched out and it did the same thing. Do you really think Polaris will go back to the drawing board, remake the design of this part, and warranty everyone's SS? Not gonna happen.

There is 153 more posts on that thread I didn't bother to read because I know how it ends.

Obviously there are several potential remedies to try. One or more of them might get you to a happy place with the drive. Then there's that damn noisy engine and tire noise!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Why don't you really tell us how you feel? Most of what you have just said is total BS. Why don't you just sell it and be done with it if it is so bad. It is not the major problem that you are trying to make it out to be. OH! By the way I have a pair of Slings a 2015 with 98,000 miles and a 2016 with 11,000 miles.

Now Fun, take a step back, this is a new member with a legitimate problem. He's irritated by his angle drive, and I was in his shoes a year ago, so I feel his pain intimately. That noise was the major drive for me to convert mine and in my case, it was not the belt, I could get belt noise as well when it was dirty, but my angle drive was just annoying, especially at the speeds he's talking about.

I'm sure it's there at higher speeds, just the air noise covers it up.

• I put CRC dielectric silicone grease along both sides of the belt. Less than 40 miles and the high pitched HOWL was gone. Now, I can hear the tires, the tranny and the angle drive, but they sound fine. The horrible screaming of the harpies from hell is gone.

• FunCycle

Nothing I said is BULLSHIT.

I love the sling but I don't like the horrible noise.

When I spend hard earned money for something and pay for a worthless extended warrantee and have a company lie straight to my face about the problem it REALLY PISSES ME OFF.

Yes it is a major problem to me.

I can't be like some people that like to be f'd without getting a kiss or like some that are afraid to stir the pot or like others (lazy and afraid) that want someone else to do the all hard work to get something straightened out.

Since no one else wants anything done about it I will build a website about it, put it on Facebook and post it online at the www.ripoffreport.com and any other site I find.

But I do thank everyone for their input because It will help me when posting.