Whining Noise In Rear End

• I'm new to the group, I live in Hawaii and have a 2016 Sling.

I have this real bad whining noise in the rear end and I've read other post about it.

I went to Montgomery Powersports the only dealer on Ohau and they told me they had to adjust the belt.

They charged me 0ver $200 even though I have the extended warrantee because they said they had to take my Corbin side bag off to adjust the belt.

It quieted it for a little bit than back louder than ever.

at first when I came back they said it was my ad on roof and spoiler rattling than I showed them the noise again then they said it was a design flaw and nothing could be done about.

I contacted Polaris and they said I would have to get the dealer to report it because they said they never heard of a problem with the noise in the rear.

So I went back to dealer and they said they would send a report.

Called Polaris again they said the dealer said the noise was from my mods, roof, spoiler and stainless header and muffler.

The Polaris rep got very rude and said maybe go to Better Business Bureau and Federal trade Commission.

Would all the people with this same problem like to get together and maybe finally get Polaris to do something about it? :cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:

• Welcome to the community!

Is it still making noise now? As to the charge, that probably falls under any other type of belt related item and not covered by any warranty.

This is a good thread about this issue that came up recently : Drive Belt Cleaning and Noise

Read through it and see if any of their solutions helped.

• Just so you know the rear end(angle drive) will always whine to a certain degree, most of the time what people think is bad is just the normal sound of it, unlike a convertible or some motorcycles with a belt drivetrain this system is not quiet.

Basically there is a high pitch whine that is normal, what is not normal is when you can hear the metal gears grinding or when the angle drive sounds like it is about to disassemble itself.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Have you changed the rear angle drive oil? If not, please do that. The angle drive gears are only roughly machined by Polaris and they expect the gears to final machine themselves through use. Takes a 8mm allen wrench and about 30 mins in the drive way. Only takes about 3/4 of a bottle of 80W90 gear oil to refill.

• Than why is the dealer telling me its a design flaw and nothing can be done to stop it.

The sound is actually more of a shrill squealing sound that you hear more deep in your head.

you mostly hear it between 20 and 30 miles an hour.

• Than why is the dealer telling me its a design flaw and nothing can be done to stop it.

The sound is actually more of a shrill squealing sound that you hear more deep in your head.

yeah that is normal..... aftermarket exhaust will cover that up nicely :00008356:

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• BAT ROD dont worry about that sound i have a 2016 also with 15,000 miles on it... I have done only the oil change to royal purple for the angle drive...

It really didn’t change my sound that much I still have the wining sound at lower speeds...

I also bought the extended warranty,...

When I left the dealership the owner told me to drive it like I stole it and I have ever since...

Yes I’ve added a top and a v2 1320 header and and a bassani side exit exhaust and some other stuff..... and at lower speeds (with) the radio turned down I still here it.....

Turn up you favorite jams and sling on...!!!

• Just so you know the rear end(angle drive) will always whine to a certain degree, most of the time what people think is bad is just the normal sound of it, unlike a convertible or some motorcycles with a belt drivetrain this system is not quiet.

Basically there is a high pitch whine that is normal, what is not normal is when you can hear the metal gears grinding or when the angle drive sounds like it is about to disassemble itself.

If people put enough miles on their Slings to wear in the angle drive they would not have the problem. After the first 5,000 miles I changed the angle drive to Royal Purple and had no more noise. 98,000 miles I still get a belt noise every once in a while and I have never cleaned the belt

It's definitely a design flaw, some are noisier than others. I've ridden in several slings where I couldn't hear it. Some get lucky in the angle drive lotto and get a quiet one. Some hide the noise via music/sound and others via exhaust systems.

I got one of the unlucky noisy ones, tried all of the suggestions and gave up, replaced it with a quad wheel setup, no more noise at all.

You have 3 choices of quads from different manufacturers. Of course, the one I purchased is what I think is best, http://trakhamr.com/ but I don't think you will go wrong with any of them. Yes, it's an extreme reaction, but you also get some other benefits. More traction, a lot of cool factor, and be one of the few who went down this path :)

• Since it is a design flaw, if we all got together and filed a complaint we might get some resolve.

Polaris denies it even has any problem but we and the dealers know it is a flaw.

For 20,30,40 thousand dollars purchase price this problem should be fixed.

It seems like everyone is afraid to have this taken care of by Polaris? Why?

I've had Harleys, corvettes, convertibles and loud pipes and never had such a loud, squealing and irritating sound to contend with.

• Howdy Bat Rod and welcome to the forum. With all due respect, none of the vehicles you mentioned have an angle drive. It's really quite something (stop laughing, it's true) to have a device that can take the normal rotation of the driveshaft input and send it out the other end at a 90 degree angle. They had to go with an industrial design that was never designed to spin at the speeds the Slingshot puts out. Yes, they do make noise and a lot of that noise is due to the fact that you're almost sitting on top of that device as well as the fact that there is zero insulation in the cabin to keep those noises out. They have come a long way since the earlier units. Polaris did replace mine under warranty due to the massive noise it generated, so I would not let it pass with the comment to "go to the BBB or FTC". I really doubt that you'd get too far with a class action suit either, but that's just MHO.

Good luck and don't give up on this

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• BAT ROD I'm wondering if you are confusing belt noise with angle drive whine?

We all deal with a little angel drive whine but that doesn't necessarily mean it's faulty. Mine has been apart twice under warranty for leaking seals. Each time it has been reassembled to spec's and each time it changed the amount of noise made and not always for the better but it's never failed regardless of the punishment. If the noise is louder under acceleration it's more than likely the belt. Hope this helps and good luck.

• Aloha Funinthesun the reason I mentioned the other vehicles was because some one earlier mentioned you have to put up with noises from these kind of vehicles.

Since we and the dealers know it a design flaw we would get somewhere if we stood together as a group because Polaris is deigning there is any noise problem.

Strength is in numbers.

• BAT ROD

My drive belt gets noisy occasionally, but with regular maintenance it is much better.

Take off the belt guard (three T-40 bolts, I think).

Then with hot water, dish soap, and a stiff nylon kitchen brush, clean the entire toothed belt surface. I do this by scrubbing, then rolling the sling a foot or so, repeat. Marking the top of the belt with a silver sharpie helps you know you've got the whole thing done. Cleaning the big toothed gear is also important.

Once you're all clean, let everything dry for an hour, then spray dry silicone lube on the belt. (I use liquid wrench brand, but there are many good choices.) Again, let all dry for a good hour, then take a cruise. My bet is you will find noise much improved.

I repeat this 2-3 times per summer (every 2500 miles or so.) Good idea to belt clean every time you change the oil.

Let us know how you get on.

Doc

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• Mine whines slightly on deceleration at low speeds as you have said. It appears to differ between individual slingshots. Some have had good results with different weights of oil, others may have belt issues. I attribute mine to gear backlash (a slight spacing between gear teeth) in the angle drive. Depending on the application of the gears used sometimes a slight spacing is needed to allow for heat expansion and lubrication of the gears.

With mine it's really not bad at all and my driving within that speed range (and only at decell) is minimal. I think of it as the sound formula 1 cars make, it makes it sound cool. Production costs may come into play but still from what I hear the rear gearbox it a strong unit. I have noticed no mechanical issues with mine.