Recall fixed battery drain

• As I posted a while back, I could not let my SS sit for more then 2 days or the battery would drain dead. Finally got the parts for the recall and thanks to my dealer I got to do a walk in again. Drank free coffee and chatted for about 30 min. Got back home and parked it without the tender, after a week I had minimal drop in voltage. 12.56 to 12.42 and it got freaking cold. So I am quite satisfied.

By the time I save up for mods, I have to buy another rear tire :cursing:

• [quote='Bigdog','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/8766-recall-fixed-battery-drain/&postID=294224#post294224']

that’s interesting.....wonder why?

[/quote]

No idea but glad it is fixed. I was tired of hooking up the tender every time I put her up.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

By the time I save up for mods, I have to buy another rear tire :cursing:

• Dang. Same thing for me. I was blaming my Yellow top for being a big waste of $300 but I did not know there was some kind of drain going on. Got the recall done a couple weeks ago. Sling just sat 6 days with no charging and overnight lows in 30s. Before recall 3 or 4 days and she was hammer dead. Now I went out and fired her up yesterday and not even a labored start. Very happy with results so far.

• I'm curious if anyone else has experienced intermittent drain. Sometimes mine is fine after 2 or 3 weeks and sometimes it drains in a couple of days. I haven't done the recall yet and am now hopeful that will cure it. I've been wondering if it's related to the Digital Guard Dawg keyless ignition system.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Our SlingShot may sit for a month or more without being ridden and still always starts just fine. The only aftermarket electrical accessory installed is a Curb Alert, which automatically turns itself off 20 minutes after the key is turned off. An added note is with it being a 2015, it does have a full sized automotive battery.

Bill

• Our SlingShot may sit for a month or more without being ridden and still always starts just fine. The only aftermarket electrical accessory installed is a Curb Alert, which automatically turns itself off 20 minutes after the key is turned off. An added note is with it being a 2015, it does have a full sized automotive battery.

Bill

I put my conversion car battery in yesterday. Finishing the install and connections this morning. However a drain is drain and if I have one, it will just take longer to discharge. I didn't have this issue on my '15 with the car battery either but this is a 16.5.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I do not have this problem with my 2016 with the build date of Jan. 2016, it still has the small battery in it. It has been sitting for at least three months with a volt meter on it while I have been changing things over. But I do have the tray from Slingmods to install the 25 Optima Yellow top in it.

• I’m wondering if that’s been the issue all along....polaris knew there was a drain and encouraged everyone to buy a battery tender from the day you bought it. Factory defect.

Nope!

Neither dealer nor service department recommended that I buy a battery tender at time of purchase or thereafter.

My battery tender purchase was based on previous ownership of boats and motorcycles.

I enjoyed the trolling motor on my bass boat.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• I'm curious if anyone else has experienced intermittent drain. Sometimes mine is fine after 2 or 3 weeks and sometimes it drains in a couple of days. I haven't done the recall yet and am now hopeful that will cure it. I've been wondering if it's related to the Digital Guard Dawg keyless ignition system.

polaris knew there was a drain way back in ‘14.....

but if the security system has a flashing light it could be a slight drain...

• all batteries should be kept at full charge.....especially those tiny motorcycle batteries....

my dealer pushed the battery tender as highly recommended. They already had the pigtails installed on all their SS. It’s like they knew there was a battery drain issue. Knowing now what I know about batteries I totally agree with their recommendation. It’s been hooked up to mine in the driveway since I parked it several months ago.

• yeah, because of the tiny batteries...

the original slingshots had full size car batteries.....

One of my slings (NYC one) has a small motorcycle battery and that sling sits for over a month and sometimes close to two without getting used and it's not on a tender and has never failed to start.

The one in MN has a full size interstate and is modestly modded and only put it on a tender during winter storage due to Sub-Zero temps here.

So please don't blame Polaris for the drains ,most of the drains I have seen are due to improper mod installation aka user error.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• As my daily driver I have never used a tender on my Slingshot - when we went out of the country at the beginning of the year I actually wondered if leaving my Slingshot parked for 3 weeks with out starting would be a problem - started right up - little battery did just fine.

As a side note the "little motorcycle battery" is an AGM battery same exact technology as used in AGM car batteries and their is no reason why they shouldn't be just as reliable so long as they are used within their design limits - even the yellow tops and other larger AGM and flooded cell batteries will go bad if you over tax them - especially something to keep in mind if you want to add aftermarket electronics to a vehicle

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• yeah, because of the tiny batteries...

the original slingshots had full size car batteries.....

the batteries in the 2015 slingshots were "full size" but they were not very high power and as far as car batteries go they were pretty much bottom of the line flooded cell batteries - - I highly suspect that the AGM motorcycle batteries actually cost Polaris more money when they switched to them.

my next battery will be the Duracell Ultra AGM - 24 mo full replacement - its got 400 cold cranking amps which for my needs is probably overkill and its more than some of the so called "full Size" car batteries

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• the full size batteries called for 575 CCA

for the small batteries they recommend 400 CCA

same motor.....my biggest argument is concerning the amount of electronics the smaller battery can produce and handle....no way it can match the bigger battery...those smaller batteries are taking a beating....constantly over heating the smaller plates...which causes them to warp...