Gas gauge

• I get a steady 27 MPG. I never worry about going dry. I can and do see/read the gauge and miles to empty. I have an analog clock center console. I’m on a hunt for placement of an analog or digital gas gauge. I first need to understand the sending unit on the tank and then it’s compatibility to a gauge. A gauge that has placement that looks part of the SS not an after thought. May take a while but tinkering is what it’s all about 🙂

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• God I'm glad I don't have to live my life worrying about getting bad gas

I went to a popular gas station and bought 29 gallons of 87 octane. Barely made it home and I was 30 miles away. From that day on I never buy less than 93. So I don’t have to worry about it. But that’s why I take the precautions I do. Been there and done that.....it was not a fun experience.

• My 2015 worked great and was within 2mpg until last winter. While in storage it went from full to empty on the gauge. It was still full but the sending unit gave up the ghost. Now I just use the trip meter like I did on my old sportster.

• Here's a video that explains the basics about a fuel gauge -

. Once you figure out the Ohm rating for your sender, you should be able to figure out what Ohm range gauge you'll need. Since the fuel gauge needs to be of the correct Ohm range to match the sender, splitting the output from the sender may change the Ohm-loading the gauge sees, so you'll probably need to disconnect the OEM gauge to try and run the aftermarket gauge.

• Take off the rear deck and it’s under the fin in the front top of gas tank. It has a collar and a couple fittings and it all pulls strait up out of tank. I did an ohm test on mine to make sure it was all working properly but I didn’t write the numbers down. I was just happy it was working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• :thumbdown:

This is interesting, I never knew that some years had more or less bars in the gas gauge than others - my Slingshot is a 2016 and the gauge has 8 bars. always seemed very reasonable to me with every bar equaling 1/8th of a tank - I just assumed they were all this way

i-sxZZH4t-X2.jpg

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• This is interesting, I never knew that some years had more or less bars in the gas gauge than others - my Slingshot is a 2016 and the gauge has 8 bars. always seemed very reasonable to me with every bar equaling 1/8th of a tank - I just assumed they were all this way

i-sxZZH4t-X2.jpg

It looks like they shortened the fuel gauge to make room for MPH/km/h icons. Mine says MPH to the left of the pump icon. See image from the 2019 owners manual below.

• Take off the rear deck and it’s under the fin in the front top of gas tank. It has a collar and a couple fittings and it all pulls strait up out of tank. I did an ohm test on mine to make sure it was all working properly but I didn’t write the numbers down. I was just happy it was working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you! This looks like it is it....

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• I have the 2018 GT and the factory stock head unit with navigation, etc. There is a specific button that you press that tells you how many miles you have left to empty as well as some other data about the vehicle. I only reference it when I have a bar or two left to determine how soon I need to get gas. I think it gives you more of an estimate than an exact science of miles to engine shut off. It comes in handy, but I only put 93 octane in her.

Be safe and God bless!

• I have the 2018 GT and the factory stock head unit with navigation, etc. There is a specific button that you press that tells you how many miles you have left to empty as well as some other data about the vehicle. I only reference it when I have a bar or two left to determine how soon I need to get gas. I think it gives you more of an estimate than an exact science of miles to engine shut off. It comes in handy, but I only put 93 octane in her.

the miles to empty is based on the mileage it gets from how you are driving at that moment. It’s a static number Meaning that’s how far you’ll get if the gas mileage stays the same. If you start driving using more or less gas that number will change.

• Last summer as we were driving down to the US, I changed the reading from kph to mph. During the trip I noticed the fuel gauge seemed to be dropping more quickly than usual. I assumed that it was due to increased drag from the roof, but I was only getting half the mileage I expected ( 400kms or 250mi per tank was average, but I was showing almost empty after 120mi) and the fill ups seemed really small, but I was not used to using gallons instead of liters. I suspected that there was something wrong with the fuel gauge. After about 4 days, things seemed to return to normal. Now I use the range to empty reading all the time and basically ignore the fuel gauge.