Self inflicted Mechanical work

• I’m getting ready to change a lower intake gasket and power steering pump on my van....major pain...

I watched a couple videos so I should be good to go....LOL

Parts are ordered. That said before I buy anything I always look for the best prices I can find...

I’m about yo tell you something you might not believe....

After searching many auto parts store sites....that were offering 20-25% discounts and free shipping.....

I ordered everything I need to do this Job from......get ready..... AMAZON.....it was cheaper to buy everything from them. Special tools and all....

Every hose and wire you see needs removed and I’ll be spending most of my time on my knees inside the van.

And that doesn’t count all the stuff you need to remove from the front of the motor

Notice the entire Motor is directly under the dashboard.

• 3 answers

1. GM and Polaris can tell if your antifreeze isn’t orange.....and a saw a video that said changing to green after the orange could make things even worse...

2. So they could deny a warranty claim....

3. It was supposed to go in the other category but something happened ...so it didn’t get there......that said....you can move it...

BUT if your slingshot motor has orange antifreeze in it .....then it is slingshot related.....

• Polaris will not void your warranty if you swapped out your antifreeze. They would have an impossible time to explain why green antifreeze caused your brake switches to fail. The only thing they COULD try doing, is deny a warranty claim for anything related to coolant. Since green antifreeze is typically the original Ethylene glyco stuff that is not GM approved, they could win that fight. But what about those of us who drained out ALL antifreeze and are running the waterless coolant. Are you saying that Evans is selling a product that voids all warranties?

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• https://www.consumeraffairs.co…4/2006/08/gm_dexcool.html

You can read all about....

Polaris will not void your warranty if you swapped out your antifreeze. They would have an impossible time to explain why green antifreeze caused your brake switches to fail. The only thing they COULD try doing, is deny a warranty claim for anything related to coolant. Since green antifreeze is typically the original Ethylene glyco stuff that is not GM approved, they could win that fight. But what about those of us who drained out ALL antifreeze and are running the waterless coolant. Are you saying that Evans is selling a product that voids all warranties?

https://search.yahoo.com/searc…toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8

New engines run about $5-6,000 not counting labor......how many do you think GM or Polaris want to replace free of charge? Dexcool is as good of an excuse as anything else to deny a claim....

I can’t vouch for any other antifreeze....

my GM pickup says the warranty is void if I doing use the correct oil.....anti freeze is no difference....

The problem I’m reading about dexcool is.....once sir gets into the system from a leak or whatever....it starts turning acidic....eating gaskets and other plastic parts...

So if you want to run something different....just be warned you could be voiding your warranty...

if you are Polaris....do you want to pay money out of or keep it in your pocket? I’m going to research long life antifreeze right now....

• this is the 3rd van I now own that has needed the lower intake gasket replaced....the result of dexcool ruining the gaskets....

2 vans needed it under 75,000 miles and this one has 115,000...

Check the internet...people with 35,000 miles are having intake gasket replacements....

I’m attempting this myself because the job runs close to $1000....

• The best part is they want 100,000 mile antifreeze but many people recommend changing it every season....

Ford says they found no significant difference between the different types of antifreeze related to corrosion protection....

The problem all started when motors and radiators became aluminum instead of copper and cast iron....

Galvanic action (corrosion) happens when two dissimilar metals come in contact with each other....

When they started using cast iron heads and aluminum blocks.....cars were blowing head gaskets around 60,000 miles....this was the result of the two different metals expanding and contracting at different rates....this wore out the head gaskets.

If a modern engine red light comes on because of an antifreeze leak...you better shut it down immediately or you will warp the head/s....

Everyone is trying to fix something that wasn't broke...

We need a lighter block to get better gas mileage....make it aluminum.....make radiators out of aluminum and plastic ....make pickup trucks out of aluminum...

Make 100,000 mile antifreeze that kills gaskets...way under 100,000...

One more thing ....it was written on the back of my insurance card right after we got no fault insurance....

1. Render assistance

2. Exchange information

3. NEVER ADMIT FAULT..... companies have this one down perfectly...

• 2 things,….

1st. Bigdog what are you posting over and over about a van and antifreeze for. Its difficult enough to have to look through all the post. Your posting links to other sites talking about the same things..

Not really bitching about it. Just look at all the posts you making and what value they have in the slingshot section.

2nd. You can run green, red, orange, or even blue antifreeze in your slingshot. They will not refuse warranty work on your slingshot even if your running pure water. If you hear of one dealer refusing warranty works because someone comes in with green antifreeze then you make sure you post it on here. They have a "recommended antifreeze" just like they have a "recommended oil" and so on and so on.

Y'all carry on. I just cant deal with all the alerts letting me know there is another post to read and check. And every time I click the link it carries me to another Bigdog post in this thread about antifreeze or a van your working on…

I try to check all the post in the main "polaris slingshot related" section. That is why its got my attention,

• Thank you Rab!

That's why I tried tagging you. A rambling van thread in the Slingshot section...

Who else can we tag that can clean up goofs like this? MACAWS ? Haven't seen kenny_h in quite some time... I'm not staying edit posts or censor, but at least place things where they belong in the correct sections... 🙄

• Yea, I am not calling out anyone. I have seen others do it… And I bet if Bigdog sits back and looks at this thread he will have to agree with my post. It happens to all of us from time to time. We just kinda forget where we are and how much we have beat the dead animal over and over.

Thats why I'm sneaking around in the background….. Just to remind everyone to kinda watch where you are on the forum.

No crisis here. Just cleaning up a bit.

• 1. GM knows their dexcool orange antifreeze kills gaskets

2. There are thousands of documented cases where GM refused to address customers complaints about antifreeze leaks.

3. I own 3 identical GM vehicles with dexcool and leaking gaskets.

4. Our Slingshots have GM motors. Each of them have GM orange antifreeze and gaskets.

5. GM motors and GM antifreeze and GM gaskets. Do you notice any possible connection?

6. If you try to make a claim about your motor having corrosion and it doesn’t contain orange antifreeze, It will be denied. And as far as leaking gaskets, GM will say what antifreeze leak?

There is nothing to see here folks move along. Please ignore any informative information contained in the previous posts about antifreeze and their differences or possible side effects from using the wrong antifreeze.

• This is bitching for the sake of bitching, FunCycle has 79k+miles so unless he says there is a problem then this is irrelevant to slingshots.

There is another gentleman on evilbook with close to 100k and also not even a peep when it comes to engine trouble.

Bigdog If you are going to worry about all the what-ifs get a good shrink because you are going to need it.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• I’m not bitching.....I’m trying to point out a known GM problem that affects GM motors because of their dexcool antifreeze.

My van only had 65,000 and who knows how long it was leaking before it was fixed. The leaks are hard to find because they start out small. You’ll smell antifreeze but you won’t see the leak.

One guy with a 100,000 and no problems isn’t exactly a great statistic.... ask him if his plastic overflow tank leaked.....

Why do you think the slingshot radiator overflow tanks are leaking?

Did we forget about that problem? Many people here have had this problem....and their tanks were replaced...

It’s the (Orange) organic acid antifreeze eating the seams.... it eats plastic ...

It’s not engine heat because the water is almost boiling....

A little research into this and you’ll see it’s a common GM problem. It started right after GM started using the DEXcool.

https://search.yahoo.com/searc…b-top&fr=yfp-hrtab-s&fp=1

For anyone that changed their intake or took it off to paint it......what is the gasket material made of? Maybe GM changed to a different gasket material ....

GM has basically ignored the problem for 20 years.....that doesn’t meant there isn’t a problem.