Towing a slingshot

• Have heard that you need to remove the drive belt if using a tow dolly. If this is a manual transmission it should lubricate itself. Right !? I had planned on using my tow dolly to tow the SS to SSITS. If this is a bad idea can someone please explain why. And yes I know the trans. needs to be in neutral when towing.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

• I'm not sure what you have for a tow dolly, but I'm sure you'd be better off and safer if you looked at the one Kevin Adams sells (allthingsslingshot.com). He's a vendor on the forum and one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet. Honest and friendly with a good pricing model that gives you points back as money off on all your purchases. You back the slingshot onto his dolly so you don't have to worry about removing the belt or damaging anything in the drive train since the only thing that rotates are the 2 front wheels

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Have heard that you need to remove the drive belt if using a tow dolly. If this is a manual transmission it should lubricate itself. Right !? I had planned on using my tow dolly to tow the SS to SSITS. If this is a bad idea can someone please explain why. And yes I know the trans. needs to be in neutral when towing.

I asked this question of the mechanic I have occasionally do some of my work. The manual transmission in the SS is different than the old school manuals we grew up with. This one actually has a pump in it, that lubricates the upper portion of the transmission. The pump runs off the input shaft, meaning that it only pumps when the engine is running and the clutch is engaged. According to my mechanic, if you pull the SS very far without the engine running and the clutch out, the transmission will seize.

• I asked this question of the mechanic I have occasionally do some of my work. The manual transmission in the SS is different than the old school manuals we grew up with. This one actually has a pump in it, that lubricates the upper portion of the transmission. The pump runs off the input shaft, meaning that it only pumps when the engine is running and the clutch is engaged. According to my mechanic, if you pull the SS very far without the engine running and the clutch out, the transmission will seize.

So towing with the front wheels on the ground is the best way to prevent tranny damage...

Just remember to take a spare front tire and wheel...

• So towing with the front wheels on the ground is the best way to prevent tranny damage...

Just remember to take a spare front tire and wheel...

If someone had access to a regular tow dolly that you drive up onto, they could make that work if that was the goal. The belt isn't that hard to take off. But I'd not tow it any distance with the belt on.

• I concur with the rest of the gang. Easy to remove. Remove the belt guard. Jack the beck of the SS using the frame points shown in your manual. At about the point the rear wheel starts to lift you can reach under at the drive to the drive pully and as you slowly rotate the rear wheel pull the belt to the outside till it comes off. NOTE ROTATION OF THE BELT. Reverse procedure for installation. If done this way you should not have to do any adjustments taking for granted your belt is in proper adjustment to begin with. These belt grow the colder they are so do this when it sits overnight rather than right after driving. Please use all safety procedures spelled out in your operator manual.

Half the fun of SSITS is getting there "driving" the Slingshot. For me a little over 600 miles. Have done it 3 years now and looking to do it this year.

• I asked this question of the mechanic I have occasionally do some of my work. The manual transmission in the SS is different than the old school manuals we grew up with.

Ding ding ding .......

In the Aisin AR-5 when towing with the rear wheel on the ground and the transmission out of gear the transmission mainshaft turns, but it does not turn any gears, so there's nothing moving the oil up above the static oil level. The bearing between the input and output shafts will eventually run dry and burn up, and the bushings in the gears on the mainshaft will probably also run dry.

BKL posed this question to Polaris a couple years ago and their response was even with the belt removed the swingarm could not handle the added loads .... was it a cover thy arse answer...dunno .. but dats what dey said ....

..... nerd-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• [quote='EjFord','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/7476-towing-a-slingshot/&postID=260650#post260650']

Have heard that you need to remove the drive belt if using a tow dolly. If this is a manual transmission it should lubricate itself. Right !? I had planned on using my tow dolly to tow the SS to SSITS. If this is a bad idea can someone please explain why. And yes I know the trans. needs to be in neutral when towing.

Half the fun of SSITS is getting there "driving" the Slingshot. For me a little over 600 miles. Have done it 3 years now and looking to do it this year.

[/quote]

Couldn't agree any more on that, but I'm having some work done on it and it will take all day. That's the only reason for towing. The wife and I have driven there for the past 2 years. And loved it.

• Couldn't agree any more on that, but I'm having some work done on it and it will take all day. That's the only reason for towing. The wife and I have driven there for the past 2 years. And loved it.

My wife won't be coming to Maggie Valley, So your wife can ride with me for the day

(everybody will tell you I'm a Dirty Old Man) and you can watch the guys work on the Slingshot or find a gal with an open seat---there will be some there.

• [quote='EjFord','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/7476-towing-a-slingshot/&postID=260656#post260656']

Couldn't agree any more on that, but I'm having some work done on it and it will take all day. That's the only reason for towing. The wife and I have driven there for the past 2 years. And loved it.

My wife won't be coming to Maggie Valley, So your wife can ride with me for the day

(everybody will tell you I'm a Dirty Old Man) and you can watch the guys work on the Slingshot or find a gal with an open seat---there will be some there.

[/quote]

Haha she just might, she thinks I drive to fast. She has nooo idea how fast it can really go lol.

• Seems odd to me. Granted a little weight will be transferred to the rear due to the front wheels being raised, but that weight is negligible compared to having riders. So why would it be harder on the swingarm?