Not Going To Riding For A While

• You don't steer the SS out of a spin when the stability control is on. The computer takes over and has a "plan" for how to keep you safe.

With both traction control and stability control off (which nobody really does, or should do) you power through a spin and try to make sure the rear tire continues to spin and doesn't grab abruptly and send you on your lid. When you are carrying enough speed, that may not even help...

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• What D you do in the case of a rollover while in the Slingshot? WAIT FOR IT TO STOP ROLLING AND HOPE YOUR ALIVE.

@Bigdog I'm sure you have bumped your head a few times but have you ever been in a bad accident? You don't have time to say hummmmm what would Bigdog do in this situation.

RNJ12

• There is a different procedure to steer vehicles with front wheel drive and rear wheel drive. People had to learn/remember which way to steer out of a spin.

There is a different procedure for applying the brakes if you have ABS and if you don’t.

i wrecked a motorcycle before. i rolled a VW dune buggy.

So which way do you steer a vehicle out of a spin with one rear drive wheel that has an active traction control?

If you never know what to do, you’ll never be able to do it.

While you’re spinning out of control isn’t the time to remember I wish i knew the correct procedure to save my life.

• I just called the Polaris factory to ask them about what to do in a spin-skid...steer with or steer against the skid....my main concern dealing with one rear drive wheel and the traction control taking over in a skid.

Due to liability issues they will not answer that question. But recommended you follow your owners manual and drive within the safety confines of the vehicle and do not go over the speed limit.

So in the event of a skid or hydroplane incident....you’re pretty much on your own..

• What D you do in the case of a rollover while in the Slingshot? WAIT FOR IT TO STOP ROLLING AND HOPE YOUR ALIVE.

@Bigdog I'm sure you have bumped your head a few times but have you ever been in a bad accident? You don't have time to say hummmmm what would Bigdog do in this situation.

RNJ12

Having rolled a vehicle before....if you’re strapped in...there is nothing you can do but go go for the ride until it stops rolling. If you’re not strapped in you’re going to be ejected and be very lucky if you don’t end up under the vehicle...

My advice if you roll over is keep your hands tightly on the steering wheel...I tried to grab onto the roll bar and missed ...the dune buggy roll bar smashed my hand..

Been stopped in a full size 4 door car that was rear ended and totaled....three herniated discs in my neck...

Basically the old saying still holds true...speed kills...

Going too fast in a curve in a car or on a motorcycle could make you lose control...been there done that on a motorcycle. Yes I crashed..went into a skid on loose gravel and went off the road and into the woods...let go of the handlebars and covered my head ....woke up laying at the bottom of a tree. Glad I had a helmet on.....will never drive without one...for several very good reasons.

Polaris knows the SS can get out of control with only one rear drive wheel or they would have never incorporated the traction control system...

So take that into consideration every time you go for a ride....there are many components in that traction system that can fail and cause the SS to spin out of control...

• Hey Bigdog, are you saying that the Stability Control Components can fail and cause a spin? Has this been proven? This whole spin out in the Slingshot thing has me freaked out.

If you get hit, it's because you were there.

• Hey Bigdog, are you saying that the Stability Control Components can fail and cause a spin? Has this been proven? This whole spin out in the Slingshot thing has me freaked out.

I bought my Slingshot in Feb 2015, and now have 59,000 miles and driven in all types of weather...Yes I have had the rear end get a little squirrely on me... 4 or 5 different times, but never lost it. Drive the conditions and slow down a little, watch for things on the road---wet, sand, leaves, anything that will get between the tire and the road.

• Damn the torpedos! Give it more gas! Steve gets squirrelly taking off in 1st or 2nd... it can get a little sideways... giving it more gas during such allows for the two front wheels to straighten it out.. but it's purposely only done when there is enough fairway to accelerate out of those squirrellys. Steve has never driven in such a manner that he could not correct. Least not with my mamas daughter in the car...! Bottom line should be...

If you don't anticipate the opps.. and have no room AND time to correct, there is no correction.

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• The whole thing only weighs 1700lbs. The back is light period. If you hit any condition (sand, dirt, etc) you will get a little squirrelly. However, to the question on TC or stability control going out. This has been documented in many threads. If you have break sensor issues or speed sensor issues this can trigger them to shut off. I experienced both at one point or another with my old sling. The speed sensor is the worst because it confuses the whole system.

I truly believe that the stability control works on the SS because it has saved my bacon a few times. With that said I believe the accident you had is related to some sensor failure. Hope they find it.

@essixx the best advice I can give is you need to get comfortable with the way the SS feels while driving. Then find a safe area and turn TC off and see what that feels like as well. This way you will be able to recognize when it is on and off

Proud Member of SOG!!!!!!!

2015 SL (Yellow) Traded becuase it kept melting

2018 SLR LE with DDM SuperCharger!!! I guess the gray ones are faster...