Anyone install 4pt. harnesses and keep the factory seats?

• I am thin but when riding down a interstate Hwy ( Tractor Trailers changing lanes )I would hope in any type of side impact or rollover you would
    "feel like you would stay in cockpit" more with 4 point.. And of course this is all guessing game to make you feel more safer.

So those of you who are driving SS with 4 point or better do you feel safer in any way vs stock belt ?
    Is it more comfortable with harness vs stock belt ?
    Do you feel like you have better chance in roll over ?
    And it seems since I bought SS that I have heard 3 or 4 killed in head on type collisions but the belt may have been cause with
    the way body move in collision causing internal damage.
    And then luck or timing or being in right place all plays coming out of collision.

I may order a set and give a try and see.. I was thinking before we go to Maggie Valley Rally.

• My belief is the harness is only as good as how you fit it which directly reflects how comfortable it it. When I push the SS a little harder than normal I tighten down on the harness. When this is done I believe there is no way I am going to come out of it. It secures me enough to the seat that when I go around corners or brake aggressively I don't move in the seat at all. This allows me to focus more on driving than positioning my body in the seat.
    On Arkansas Hwy 16 from Clinton to Ozark is a series of turns for 60 miles where I have rode it once without the harness and once with the harness. On the day without the harness my body was sore from bracing myself in the turns.
    The harness will take a little getting used to when you first start riding with it because they are restrictive. You will learn to adapt to it. If you decide to ride with them looser for comfort then you are trading comfort for safety.
    They are not uncomfortable to use and they make us feel more secure in the Sling.

• i am 5'11, 175 lbs. i do feel i slide down on the 4pt in a sling. my previous cars i had with 4pt had bucket seats, so no sliding there. i am sure if i adjust the lower two points a bit lower (ie to the floor part of seat bracket instead of seatback) it would be like a lap belt from stock....

i sometimes double up. i wear the 4pt AND the stock belt when im in the twisties and track. only 4pt at autocross. only stock belt local driving

• I actually cut the plastic, didn't know if the pressure upward would break the plastic or not. I heard PRP is making a bracket that attaches to the front side of the roll hoops but I have not seen anything on their website.

• hey. Sorry guys. I have been in route to Thunder Beach in Panama City.

I didn't read all the earlier post in detail but I think y'all were wanting to know about stock seats and a 4 point harness.

They work flawlessly. Im sure that there are some that would prefer to have the top straps pulling at a slightly different angle. I have to say that in a crash that is head on "I" think they would support you alot more than the crossway seatbelt. I absolutely hate the bassakward seatbelt.

My wife also likes the harness alot more than the seatbelt. When I'm in the twisties she pulls the belt and harness tight and holds onto the shoulder straps. Kinda like an amusement park ride. And even with stock seats it helps a lot. It will allow you to drive with your hands instead of holding on AND driving with your hands.

I bought a 2 sets of Beard 2.5" harnesses and installed them. I got rid of the factory seatbelts (you don't have to) so I could have a little more room on the sides of the seat. Let me see if I can find some pictures of the install.

• Here are the pics y'all want. Just cut a slit in the plastic and run the belt thru. And on the outer one just run it between the plastic and the rear painted plastic. It will work perfectly. And on the bottom just bolt it where the seat belt bolts on the console. And on the outside just bolt it where the seatbelt latch is.

• You don't have to cut the painted plastic. And it doesn't pull up on it at all. All you have to do is notch the front facing plastic with a dremel. And run the belt thru and tie it off. Here is the only pic I can find of me and my wife using them with stock seats. And I think she is snapping the upper snap that pulls the belts together at the top.

• The outer belt lays perfect between the painted part and the black plastic. Now with all that said........ If I were in a crash I think we all would agree that it wouldn't matter if the belt sinched tight and popped that plastic off. I have slammed my brakes on HARD and i weigh 350 pounds. And so far it does not even come close to flexing the plastic. You will see what Im talking about when you install it.

This is all my finding. I give you my standard 1 minute warranty speech... Milage may vary. :-)

• Here is an installation PDF from Schroth. They do make a 4-point DOT approved harness with an anti-submarine device. @MACAWS and I are running them. If you look at page 2 there is a warning on what type of seats should and shouldn't have a harness. It's a good read and they are a top notch quality product. It also covers proper installation methods for a racing harness. I've used the Bert's harness bars to ease installation.

Files

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "Is that all you've got?

• Here is an installation PDF from Schroth. They do make a 4-point DOT approved harness with an anti-submarine device. @MACAWS and I are running them. If you look at page 2 there is a warning on what type of seats should and shouldn't have a harness. It's a good read and they are a top notch quality product. It also covers proper installation methods for a racing harness. I've used the Bert's harness bars to ease installation.

Hey buddy you coming home soon?
    Need to get all you mods done so we can get in some riding and a little fishing with Wrath Jr

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Will be home on Sunday brother. I'll have most of next week off and will be cranking on mods to Wraith. I mentioned fishing to Aidan and he is VERY excited to try it. Thanks again!

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "Is that all you've got?

• Will be home on Sunday brother. I'll have most of next week off and will be cranking on mods to Wraith. I mentioned fishing to Aidan and he is VERY excited to try it. Thanks again!

Tell him I will keep feeding them so they are all fattened up and ready for him.
    I am back Sunday then out Wednesday - May 11th

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• The way the seat is made it looks like it will be fine. The belts taper outward when they are bolted to the roll hoops. I agree that they would be better with the bar from Bert's. It would get the belts higher. But the main thing I think is the factory belt sucks. And the harneses are much better.

Fully agree. Since the upper portion of our seats are so narrow the harnesses almost stay vertical. If they were standard automobile width and pushed them out further then it may cause an issue.

• Just picked this up off of the old forum from dwilson. I believe it is what most of us expected.

My sister was the person killed in this accident and she WAS wearing her seat belt! In fact, the seat belt is what caused my sister's death and it was also the cause of the critical injuries to her husband (the driver). For all you Polaris Slingshot owners I would recommend you DEMAND a 4-point harness type seat belt in these vehicles! My sister's main artery was severed from the seat belt. Even a go-chart has a 4-pt harness for extra safety. Don't thing a regular seat belt is going to save you from injury but it won't. I truly believe if they had this type of seat belt, my sister would be alive today.

I pray to God you ALL move forward in DEMANDING a different seat belt design!!!! I hope some how this information helps you.

All the oil might be in Alberta but the dipsticks are in Ottawa!

• Just picked this up off of the old forum from dwilson. I believe it is what most of us expected.

My sister was the person killed in this accident and she WAS wearing her seat belt! In fact, the seat belt is what caused my sister's death and it was also the cause of the critical injuries to her husband (the driver). For all you Polaris Slingshot owners I would recommend you DEMAND a 4-point harness type seat belt in these vehicles! My sister's main artery was severed from the seat belt. Even a go-chart has a 4-pt harness for extra safety. Don't thing a regular seat belt is going to save you from injury but it won't. I truly believe if they had this type of seat belt, my sister would be alive today.

I pray to God you ALL move forward in DEMANDING a different seat belt design!!!! I hope some how this information helps you.

dwilson, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I remember hearing of an accident that took someones' life based on the seat belt, but did not know who it was (or who she was related to). After seeing the results of this last fatality, and the original one where the rider did not have the belt on, has really awakened a lot of people to this issue. I wouldn't be too surprised to see a lot more people upgrading the belts soon. When my new seats come in, I'm gong to look real closely at getting that done. Thank you for your posting regarding the accident. I'm sure it is difficult knowing a life could have been saved if a simple decision to spend a few more dollars on the assembly line was made.

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

Edited once, last by funinthesun ().