Tires...what are you running?

• I'm running Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's all around. We were caught in a lot of rain returning early from MV last year and only felt like I was losing the back tire once in a curtain of rain and standing water. Back tire slipped out to the left about 30 degrees, front tracked strong. I got off the gas and the back caught up quickly. I will say, I was wondering how many times we were going to go around. I will buy another Firestone to replace the back when it comes time (soon).

:HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS::SILVERSS:My paint is fast, TURBO Silver!

• Can anyone tell me what is causing this type of tire wear on my front tires? Tires have about 11,000 miles on them. pressure always checked and run at about 28 PSI. Thanks

The second pic (possibly the first also, not close enough to be sure) looks like a tire molding defect. Like there was dirt in the rubber or it wasn't mixed well enough when injected into the tire mold. If that's actually what it is, I couldn't get them changed out quickly enough. Nothing like entering a curve at 20-30 MPH faster than suggested and finding a weak spot in a front tire!

• The second pic (possibly the first also, not close enough to be sure) looks like a tire molding defect. Like there was dirt in the rubber or it wasn't mixed well enough when injected into the tire mold. If that's actually what it is, I couldn't get them changed out quickly enough. Nothing like entering a curve at 20-30 MPH faster than suggested and finding a weak spot in a front tire!

Look at the tread on the first picture on the right side

• Look at the tread on the first picture on the right side

I see that. I'll give you that it needs alignment. But that's not what caused the missing chunks of rubber. It doesn't look cut, or even ground out of the tire, it looks like the rubber was good until it got to a bad area and got thin enough that some of it peeled away. If it's what I mentioned before, the alignment will just have it ready for the new tires. There's still an issue that is more pressing. If it were mine, I'd be taking my hand around the tire feeling for a soft spot, like a hollow spot, under the flat part of the tread. While I don't work with it any longer, we once made patterns for tires and I've seen things like this before. If that rubber was compromised when it was injected, that tire is not safe. It might hold together, but it might also throw a big chunk of it off at a very bad moment.

• I see that. I'll give you that it needs alignment. But that's not what caused the missing chunks of rubber. It doesn't look cut, or even ground out of the tire, it looks like the rubber was good until it got to a bad area and got thin enough that some of it peeled away. If it's what I mentioned before, the alignment will just have it ready for the new tires. There's still an issue that is more pressing. If it were mine, I'd be taking my hand around the tire feeling for a soft spot, like a hollow spot, under the flat part of the tread. While I don't work with it any longer, we once made patterns for tires and I've seen things like this before. If that rubber was compromised when it was injected, that tire is not safe. It might hold together, but it might also throw a big chunk of it off at a very bad moment.

I had about the same look on track day under hard braking but only in the area where the tire locked up

• I had about the same look on track day under hard braking but only in the area where the tire locked up

If it were torn where the tire locked up, I would have expected the tear to be much wider to be that deep in one spot. But honestly, it's a mute point on any of this. No doubting either.... 1) it needs aligned, and 2) the tires need replaced. It's cupped beyond ever driving well even if aligned. Alignment and replacing the tires will fix it.

• I see that. I'll give you that it needs alignment. But that's not what caused the missing chunks of rubber. It doesn't look cut, or even ground out of the tire, it looks like the rubber was good until it got to a bad area and got thin enough that some of it peeled away. If it's what I mentioned before, the alignment will just have it ready for the new tires. There's still an issue that is more pressing. If it were mine, I'd be taking my hand around the tire feeling for a soft spot, like a hollow spot, under the flat part of the tread. While I don't work with it any longer, we once made patterns for tires and I've seen things like this before. If that rubber was compromised when it was injected, that tire is not safe. It might hold together, but it might also throw a big chunk of it off at a very bad moment.

I'm going with the rubber wasn't mixed enough or it was contaminated with something during the mixing process....

First is it just the one tire or multiple tires.... Everything ever made had been recalled for defects at some point in time......could have been an entire batch of bad rubber or just ended up in a few tires...

• If it were torn where the tire locked up, I would have expected the tear to be much wider to be that deep in one spot. But honestly, it's a mute point on any of this. No doubting either.... 1) it needs aligned, and 2) the tires need replaced. It's cupped beyond ever driving well even if aligned. Alignment and replacing the tires will fix it.

Correct

• I have seen similar damage with old tires that are way pass their time.

Let some air out and smell it , if you get a whiff of rotten eggs then stop riding and just take it to the dealer and get those changed.

Call Scott Riley he can get you the alignment and he is also a tire rack dealer so you can buy online and have them ship to him and have him mount them when he does the alignment.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• FunCycle did you ever buy and use the General G-Max RS that you mentioned before, I need to buy a rear tire and can't decide what to buy since last year recommended tires are discontinued.

At the time they did not have the rear tire size in the RS but they had the front size. So I found another tire that looked just about as good, the Riken Raptor, I bought a full set and another rear for a spare. I really like this tire also. I also still have a new set of Kenda's mounted and ready to go. I used them on track day once, those suckers are sticky when hot on the track.

• At the time they did not have the rear tire size in the RS but they had the front size. So I found another tire that looked just about as good, the Riken Raptor, I bought a full set and another rear for a spare. I really like this tire also. I also still have a new set of Kenda's mounted and ready to go. I used them on track day once, those suckers are sticky when hot on the track.

Well it seems like the Riken Raptor have been discontinued, any other suggestion?

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Well it seems like the Riken Raptor have been discontinued, any other suggestion?

I have not checked the General's lately but they did have the right size for fronts and they had a 275 for the rear on the 2015 SL. I will go with the General's next time. But I still have two sets mounted and 2 spare rears so it will be awhile