• I just recieved a quote for painting the Sling. The shop does all the custom MC painting for my local Polaris dealership. This will be his first sling to paint. I currently have a Red SL. I basically want all the red plastic painted and keep the black for contrast. The price I was quoted was for a 3 stage paint job.

The color, candy, and clear was quoted at 2K.
    The labor 2K.
    Disassembly and re-assembly is to be determined by Polaris dealership next door.

I will provide a pic of a BMW below painted candy green.

Is this quote reasonable?

Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing.
    Moderation is for cowards.

• @Drew71646, there's a couple of other threads on this, but in a nutshell, if you can handle the disassembly and re-assembly of this you'll save yourself a couple grand or more. It's not that complicated, just a little cumbersome at times but there's plenty of videos and help on this forum to help you along. I paid about $1600 for the same work you're describing, but I disassembled it. @Painter has a whole video section dedicated to the disassembly of your sling. I'm sure @Tripod will chime in with all the links here in a few :thumbup:

• I figured the disassembly and assembly would be high, but I am totally 100% mechanically retarded. So, that is not an option for me lol. The quote of 4K is strictly for paint and labor, not disassembly and assembly. It might not be, but the quote sounded high.

• I figured the disassembly and assembly would be high, but I am totally 100% mechanically retarded. So, that is not an option for me lol. The quote of 4K is strictly for paint and labor, not disassembly and assembly. It might not be, but the quote sounded high.

I'm just assuming here, but I would think that that "labor" figure includes disassembly as well as re-assembly. If they're not disassembling it, look for another shop. Don't let them paint the pieces while they're on the Sling.

• I'm just assuming here, but I would think that that "labor" figure includes disassembly as well as re-assembly. If they're not disassembling it, look for another shop. Don't let them paint the pieces while they're on the Sling.

The labor doesn't include it. He wanted me to do it or have the Polaris dealership next door disassemble.

• @Drew71646, there's a couple of other threads on this, but in a nutshell, if you can handle the disassembly and re-assembly of this you'll save yourself a couple grand or more. It's not that complicated, just a little cumbersome at times but there's plenty of videos and help on this forum to help you along. I paid about $1600 for the same work you're describing, but I disassembled it. @Painter has a whole video section dedicated to the disassembly of your sling. I'm sure @Tripod will chime in with all the links here in a few :thumbup:

VIDEO LOG OF SS COMPLETE PANEL REMOVAL

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• I'm just assuming here, but I would think that that "labor" figure includes disassembly as well as re-assembly. If they're not disassembling it, look for another shop. Don't let them paint the pieces while they're on the Sling.

Material on a Candy is going to run high. $2000 for materials is not that high for a shop. Prepping materials, primer/filler, Base Coat, Candy, Clear Coat, buffing pads, etc.
    It always surprises me when I add up material cost on any candy job. Of course the paint is retail and his cost should be around 70% but it takes time to get it all together.

Labor is all the shop time to clean, sand, wash, fill fix factory errors. Maybe a bit high but not much. A customer sees a hood..... I see two fenders, two inserts, two lower wings and a large hood piece. A customer sees two lower side panels.... I see 6 pieces that must be prepped and painted. Two roll hoop covers,...No... 4 pieces! And so on.

In addition, the almost 30 pieces are treated separately and each must have their own stand to insure to expose the edge overlap. Each color and primer has its own cup. I use 3-M PPS system and 50 cups costs me $135 and it is not unusual for me to go through 15 cups on a Candy Sling!

Booth time averages $100 per hour just to operate. Yes.... I mean just to turn on! Guns run $200 - $1000 each and they don't last forever. I can stock basic supplies of sandpaper, thinner, cleaners, tape for about $400 per week.

Disassembley takes me about an hour but the first one I did took 10! This is a different animal for a body shop and if one piece is damaged or broken we all know how much parts cost and that is if you can get them! Shops could lose all profit on a broken deck so why should they take that chance unless they expect many Slings to paint in the future?

The plastics on the sling are not the same. Adhesion promoter must be used on some but when used on others it will ruin the piece causing a complete stripping And some pieces are not type labeled for them to know!
    So... when a shop prices out a full refinish on just painted panels at $5K - $6K they are probably in line. Those charging $12K - $15K are in it for money. Those charging $1500 - $2000 are losing money, cutting corners or will shortly be out of business!

The only exception to this is me. I own the Sling, I owe the Forum and its members and I don't paint for profit. The Slingshot has given me many close friends
    (Something very rare in these times!) and has become a passion. Some newer owners don't have a clue what transpired in the Sling beginnings and, until they get it, a Million Dollars wouldn't get me to paint theirs!

• Thank you @Painter, that brings the cost into perspective. Much respect to you sir.

• Thanks for the Clarification @Painter. I guess my friend that did the paint on mine really did give me a break. I couldn't handle $6k on painting the sling unless some sort of artwork was involved, such as the pieces of art you've created, or what @MACAWS has on his. Some of the paint jobs on some slings truly are works of art. For $6k, I'll do some other damage to the Sling... Perhaps an Auto trans.... :whistling::thumbup: . Either way, you! sir have my utmost respect for all you do for folks here on the forum. :thumbup:

• Thanks for the Clarification @Painter. I guess my friend that did the paint on mine really did give me a break. I couldn't handle $6k on painting the sling unless some sort of artwork was involved, such as the pieces of art you've created, or what @MACAWS has on his. Some of the paint jobs on some slings truly are works of art. For $6k, I'll do some other damage to the Sling... Perhaps an Auto trans.... :whistling::thumbup: . Either way, you! sir have my utmost respect for all you do for folks here on the forum. :thumbup:

You Sir are highly respected by me as well.

Your friend did what friends do and he's a "keeper"! My post was more a "global" view of paint shops. Some are more reasonable than others but I'm stating what to possibly expect if an owner just takes his in to a shop so there won't be a drop to his knees moment!

Seems that many think parts are just washed off and some paint slapped on. Why can it be so expensive. Buying the paint is probably the least expense of a paint job!
    Thank you for your kind comments my friend!

• @Painter you do as good explaining the process as you do on all quality of work that I have seen come from your shop. Great work from the heart as well. Thanks so much for being an integral part of our community and family. INCREDIBLE!

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

• @Drew71646 you have seen my paint job. My guy disassembled (never seen a Sling before) stripped off all the Polaris paint, prepped & re painted with a Harley red, then close to 3 weeks of airbrushing to get it where he wanted it. Then 5 coats of clear and reassemble. I know I got a brother in law deal but it was less than $5k and have won several PAINT ( @Rob the Slob) :P competitions with it. Do your homework before you choose. Must say my painter and @Painter are truly in a class by themselves - the rest are on a sliding scale !!

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• @Drew71646 you have seen my paint job. My guy disassembled (never seen a Sling before) stripped off all the Polaris paint, prepped & re painted with a Harley red, then close to 3 weeks of airbrushing to get it where he wanted it. Then 5 coats of clear and reassemble. I know I got a brother in law deal but it was less than $5k and have won several PAINT ( @Rob the Slob) :P competitions with it. Do your homework before you choose. Must say my painter and @Painter are truly in a class by themselves - the rest are on a sliding scale !!

I just left one of our local body shops. I've been friends with the owner all my life. He is a true perfectionist. We are going to get together next week after he gets back from a trade show and get a good estimate. Stay tuned!

• I just left one of our local body shops. I've been friends with the owner all my life. He is a true perfectionist. We are going to get together next week after he gets back from a trade show and get a good estimate. Stay tuned!

He is welcome to call me if he runs into disassembly problems or needs to know any tricks.

• Painting the plastic pieces under the roll hoops was the hardest part for me. Sanding and prepping the holes and crevice areas just sucked outright. And then spraying them sucked even worse. I had to adjust my pressure just a bit to get the paint to lay down and cover good . Otherwise i had bad coverage and a slightly rough surface.

I painted mine in march of 2015 and its about time for a refresh. Just not sure if i will paint it white or try a new color...