Helmet Law in Tennesse

• Not trying to stir the pot...but...

Ticketing for not wearing a helmet runs anywhere from $25.00 to $115.00. Trust me on this one...I know!!!!!!! In some places, citations can range into the ridiculous!!! I haven't been anywhere where LEO has really pushed the issue...simply put my helmet on, and was allowed to go on my way. A mindful note...these citations do not count against your license. In other words, no points are assessed against your license. NOT THAT THIS GIVES YOU A REASON TO BLATANTLY BREAK THE LAW. Just be smart about it. Me...I'll ask when I get there. Locals and LEOs will appreciate the inquiry. Better safe than sorry! Just my two cents!!!!!!! :thumbup:

• Not trying to stir the pot...but...

Ticketing for not wearing a helmet runs anywhere from $25.00 to $115.00. Trust me on this one...I know!!!!!!! In some places, citations can range into the ridiculous!!! I haven't been anywhere where LEO has really pushed the issue...simply put my helmet on, and was allowed to go on my way. A mindful note...these citations do not count against your license. In other words, no points are assessed against your license. NOT THAT THIS GIVES YOU A REASON TO BLATANTLY BREAK THE LAW. Just be smart about it. Me...I'll ask when I get there. Locals and LEOs will appreciate the inquiry. Better safe than sorry! Just my two cents!!!!!!! :thumbup:

AH - the good ole days

:00008185:

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• Just got pulled over this afternoon going to lunch by a Tennessee State trooper. He stated that they have finally received clarification on helmets and the slingshot. He was super nice and just pulled me over to give me a heads up and warn me. Unless you have a roof on it you have to wear a helmet. He started that they are giving folks the heads up now and will be issuing tickets in about a month. I will probably get a ticket then start wearing it.

• Just got pulled over this afternoon going to lunch by a Tennessee State trooper. He stated that they have finally received clarification on helmets and the slingshot. He was super nice and just pulled me over to give me a heads up and warn me. Unless you have a roof on it you have to wear a helmet. He started that they are giving folks the heads up now and will be issuing tickets in about a month. I will probably get a ticket then start wearing it.

It's not a moving violation, and it doesn't go against your license. F&ck 'em if they can't take a joke.

• I’ve been riding in Ga. for a month now and have had a lot of officers look at me but no one has pulled me over. I wear a ball cap and safety glasses with no problems yet. I noticed that Ga. wasn’t even on that list posted earlier. Hum.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

Michael West
    Gainesville Ga.
    404-401-0841

:SLRSS::COLDAIRSS::MOTOROILSS: :OILFILTERSS: :00008862::00008698:

:00000436::00000436::00000436:

• I have found that if you have your seat belt on, a dark colored ball cap,and some sun glasses on that I have never been written a ticket.

And when I do get pulled over I usually do the jedi-mind trick on the officer when they bring up the helmet issue. :)

It only works on weak minded individuals, so, only state troopers are vulnerable!

Sent from my iPad using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

• So just so I am on the right page. Are we saying that TN now requires helmets for the SS?

Yes that is what the Tropper told me when pulled me over. This was in Nashville by the airport. Said they plan to start ticketing in a month or so. Helmet on unless you have a roof (they consider that enclosed). With that said I have not worn one at all still and have not been pulled over again.

• Yes that is what the Tropper told me when pulled me over. This was in Nashville by the airport. Said they plan to start ticketing in a month or so. Helmet on unless you have a roof (they consider that enclosed). With that said I have not worn one at all still and have not been pulled over again.

Just keep one with you. If you get pulled over, quickly attach it to your leg. The law says it must be worn, but it doesn't say it has to be on your head

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• I drove from Maggie Valley, NC thru TN without a helmet on. I had the MeanSling sport top on it at the time, likely was my saving grace. But compared to most any of the other tops, it's not going to be any help should you end up upside down.

• Minnesota does not require a helmet on either a slingshot or a motorcycle, also does not require a motorcycle endorsement on a SS anymore. I, myself, usually wear one because I use the drop down sunshade instead of sunglasses. That is just me since I always wore one on the Harley. I never comment on what others wear, their preference.

• I drove from Maggie Valley, NC thru TN without a helmet on. I had the MeanSling sport top on it at the time, likely was my saving grace. But compared to most any of the other tops, it's not going to be any help should you end up upside down.

I have been looking at that top since you can remove it easily. How do you like it and do you recommend it?

I also said a roof is not going to protect me. He said he only enforces the law doesn't write it.