Report your current weather here.

• Our little town has got a fire bug on the loose with 4 delibertly set fires to comercial buildings the last week. The fireman that put their lives on the line to fight these fires on a day that is above freezing but for them to do this in these temperatures for a fire that is delibertly set is just horible. Couldnt imagine what they go through this time of year all in the line of duty. Hats off to the men and women that make up the local fire dept’s here and across the regions

• I was on my town's Fire Dept (volunteer) for about 12 years. When I took my current job, I went to reserve status. I had people at work that depended on me to get my part of the work completed, so that they had work to do. I was putting in 10 and 12 hour days, plus an hour and fifteen minute commute every day. If I didn't get my work completed, or didn't show up for work while I was on a fire run, they would send those people home. And the workers struggled with money issues and really needed to work.

But I remember a January night, we got called out. It was 11 PM, and I had just gotten to bed. It was a Sunday night, the worst for fires. The reason for that is this... living in a small community, that was the time the least people would be out. Those that worked 3rd shift, were at work by 11pm. Being Sunday, no 2nd shift people would be coming home. Indiana's blue laws would keep anyone from being out at a bar. So, if there was a fire to start, it would most likely get really out of control before anyone would notice it.

But that Sunday night was a bad one. It got down to -19, and the winds were howling. All the equipment had ice on it, and was hard to use. From the mist from the spray of the hoses, every painted body panel on the trucks were iced over. It was difficult to walk, as all around the house and inside (after the fire was out) was iced over and like a skating rink. We had 3 fires that night, all were houses, and we were just into the clean up of the first one on scene, when the second call came in. We split the men, and trucks, and went to the second one. While there, the first scene finished up, and returned to the station. We got a 3rd call, it was at a farmhouse that was on a little traveled road with only the one house on it. The call came in at 5:30am, someone on their way to work saw it. I went to that one too, but it was only to protect the surrounding buildings. The house had collapsed into the basement by the time we got the call.

I didn't sleep that night at all, other than maybe 30 minutes before the call came in. I went on to work, however I was late. That afternoon, the dept got called out on another house fire. When I got back to town, I went to that one. We were out all night with it, the winds kept restarting the fire. Temps that night got into the -20s, and the fire pumper froze up. We tried to get it back to the station to thaw, and brought out the other pumper. But the brakes were frozen. We got a generator running, and ran a kerosene heater with a tarp to thaw out the brakes. We finally got it thawed enough to go to the station, but the pump had busted from freezing so solid. It had to be rebuilt.

Sorry for so long a post, but I know personally what that is like. But.... I live in Indiana. Those temps are rare here, with many years not getting much below 0 all winter. Our friends to the north though, this would be the normal for them in the winter. And if anyone wonders, I didn't go to work on Tuesday. I had been up since Sunday morning other than a few minutes of sleep before this all started, and was awake basically for 48 hours. After being up that long, I couldn't sleep that day either, but crashed that night for 11 hours.

I have nothing but respect for the military, police, and fire fighters. They all do the jobs that most of us don't want to face.

• Our little town has got a fire bug on the loose with 4 delibertly set fires to comercial buildings the last week. The fireman that put their lives on the line to fight these fires on a day that is above freezing but for them to do this in these temperatures for a fire that is delibertly set is just horible. Couldnt imagine what they go through this time of year all in the line of duty. Hats off to the men and women that make up the local fire dept’s here and across the regions

Someone needs a bullet. I got no patience for that shit.

• Someone needs a bullet. I got no patience for that shit.

Are you getting soft on me Jared... just a bullet??

I see it like this... 4 fires = 4 horses + 4 pieces of rope + 4 different directions + 4 limbs

Fuck the person(s) doing this ~> let oldschool justice prevail!!

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

Edited once, last by ericastar76 ().