Powder coating. Have to step up my game to keep up.

• There is no nut to hold. It's welded on.

Your also going to need a moisture dryer and a good air pressure regulator. I have both of these devices made so that I can use them independent of each other. I also have a large regulator and dryer on the whole air system in the garage. You still need these in my opinion. They just chuck together in this case and make one long device.. You will want to adjust the pressure till the powder in the hopper is just bubbling. You don't want the powder going crazy in the hopper..

Here is the hopper and how it looks and how it connects to the gun.

I believe I have found the perfect color.

The top nut on my 2016.5 was not welded on and it was not fun installing it by nyself.

• Very nice thread @rabtech. I'm just now learning how to do this. I know this is an old posting, but good info just the same. Quick question... I've had a local company tell me about putting on some sort of "primer". With everything I've been reading, that doesn't sound correct... no? What if you were using and coating steel? Anyone? I have something I want to strip down and re-do as I want it another color. Thoughts?

:00000436:
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

• Very nice thread @rabtech. I'm just now learning how to do this. I know this is an old posting, but good info just the same. Quick question... I've had a local company tell me about putting on some sort of "primer". With everything I've been reading, that doesn't sound correct... no? What if you were using and coating steel? Anyone? I have something I want to strip down and re-do as I want it another color. Thoughts?

There might be a "primer" depending on what color powdercoat you are using. Some powdercoats that we shoot here are what is called a 2 stage color. That means we have to put down a color first, then let the piece cool, then shoot the same piece again with another color and bake it. The local company you are talking about might be referencing that first color as a "primer", but not sure. Shooting powdercoat over paint does not really work well at all, the piece should be bare metal when powdercoating for best results. The 2 stage colors are typically colors with a lot of depth to them or have some kind of metallic/candy finish to them. Most regular opaque colors are just a single stage.

Hope that helps,
    Dave

• There might be a "primer" depending on what color powdercoat you are using. Some powdercoats that we shoot here are what is called a 2 stage color. That means we have to put down a color first, then let the piece cool, then shoot the same piece again with another color and bake it. The local company you are talking about might be referencing that first color as a "primer", but not sure. Shooting powdercoat over paint does not really work well at all, the piece should be bare metal when powdercoating for best results. The 2 stage colors are typically colors with a lot of depth to them or have some kind of metallic/candy finish to them. Most regular opaque colors are just a single stage.
    Hope that helps,
    Dave

Thanks Dave. Actually, it's one of your pieces I'm trying to get redone. I had sent an email off your web site about ordering a sway bar in white and never heard from anyone. The local company said they would have to strip it down and do a primer and then final coat. After a few weeks went by, I ordered it from Slingmods. No clue when it will come in... just know it hasn't shipped yet or haven't gotten a tracking number. In this case and what I believe you are saying is that a coat or two will do.

Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

• Thanks Dave. Actually, it's one of your pieces I'm trying to get redone. I had sent an email off your web site about ordering a sway bar in white and never heard from anyone. The local company said they would have to strip it down and do a primer and then final coat. After a few weeks went by, I ordered it from Slingmods. No clue when it will come in... just know it hasn't shipped yet or haven't gotten a tracking number. In this case and what I believe you are saying is that a coat or two will do.

... I'd try and do myself, but trying to rig up an oven to heat something 5-6 feet long just sounds like a pain in the a$$!