Grease zerk in axle/swingarm

• Well crap... Hearing some chirping from the rear. I have been lucky with over 15k between two SS and never heard any of the tell tell sounds until this weekend.... 8|

Scrub/Clean the belt and you just might get rid of that noise

Agree 100%!!!
    I started getting one hell of sound when I gave it any gas and was scared shitless that something was going wrong back there. First thing I tried was washing the belt and sprockets real good. Whew!! That fixed it for me. Now I know to clean the belt as soon as I start hearing that unique sound.

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• Agree 100%!!!I started getting one hell of sound when I gave it any gas and was scared shitless that something was going wrong back there. First thing I tried was washing the belt and sprockets real good. Whew!! That fixed it for me. Now I know to clean the belt as soon as I start hearing that unique sound.

i have been lazy or busy... Not sure but just haven't really adjusted the belt tension sense the recall. Just afraid I let it go too long. It's really tighter than what we all like it to be.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• I think brcole15 was referring to the added grease fitting for the needle bearing inside the swing arm. They don't come from the factory with it. This is something that some including myself have done by drilling thru the housing of the swing arm allowing you to add grease into the grease groove of the bearing housing hopefully extending the life of the bearing.

• I think brcole15 was referring to the added grease fitting for the needle bearing inside the swing arm. They don't come from the factory with it. This is something that some including myself have done by drilling thru the housing of the swing arm allowing you to add grease into the grease groove of the bearing housing hopefully extending the life of the bearing.

I'm sorry, once again I have spoken when I don't know what's going on. I'm going to sit back and watch so more people don't become more annoyed with me. I like the forum and the people but I love what I have learned on here.

Sent from my iPad using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

• I'm sorry, once again I have spoken when I don't know what's going on. I'm going to sit back and watch so more people don't become more annoyed with me. I like the forum and the people but I love what I have learned on here.

Sent from my iPad using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

@rnj12 please don't take my response as negative. Didn't mean it that way at all. Every body learns from each other's input. It's all good keep posting and learning

• LOL Yes thats what I meant, has anyone IN Indiana done this. I have done this on the rear bearing carrier in the ATV's I use to race. However, the Slingshot process is a little more tedious and I dont wanna screw it up.

it's pretty simple. Source yourself a new bearing for the axle since the one that's in there will be destroyed taking it out. The centre of the bearing housing where the grease grove is around 1-1/16 in from the face of the swing arm. This seems to be what most have found when doing it. Find a drill bit and tap for your grease fitting and drill and tap the hole. Make sure you clean all drill and tapping chips out real good. Then clean again lol. Install new bearing and give it a shot of grease and reassemble the axle and the pulley back on and torque your nuts. Make sure to use green locktite and let it cure for abit before you try it.

• If you do this, make sure you measure how far in the bearing is seated from the outside edge of the bearing housing before you remove the old bearing. There is no stop for the bearing to seat against, and if you just kept driving the bearing in, you'd be screwed. Just take your time, measure often when seating the new bearing, and don't panic, you'll do fine.
    Once you get the old bearing out, measure the distance from the outer edge of the bearing to the center groove in the bearing. Add that measurement to the measurement you got from the outer edge of the bearing housing to the outer edge of the old bearing, and that distance is where you'll still the hole for the zerk.