If you have ever pushed these in.....

• My first computer was a Gateway 386, 25 MHz, 4 M RAM, 80 M hard drive... :00008356:

It took both 3-1/2" 1.44 M floppy disc or 5-1/4" 720k! Woot!

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• My first computer was a Gateway 386, 25 MHz, 4 M RAM, 80 M hard drive...

It took both 3-1/2" 1.44 M floppy disc or 5-1/4" 720k! Woot!

I have no idea what this stuff means! ;( This is like listening to you guys talk about engine builds,.........clueless, I know,.... hey, I know how to break them :D

• Just got a package full of RAM the other day at the office. Give or take 32 TB. Server upgrade time. lol

Yep, I can remember when I was editing a autoexec.bat and config.sys file trying to get everything i could into high memory.

I get to work with some huge storage arrays dealing with radiology.

The sizes now are mind boggling.

• Bought my first PC in late 1977, a TRS-80 with 4K RAM! Bought my first 16K upgrade to replace the 4K for $300. My second 16K cost $120, not including the required expansion interface. MY 3rd 16K upgrade to max out at 48K was free as I won it in a raffle. Paid $400 for my first floppy drive (5-1/4) after spending two nights typing a 16K program into my TRS-80, only to have the tape copy fail and then lose power before I could save it after retyping everything the next night. IIRC, the floppy held around 88K and I thought I was in hog heaven.
    Made a big mistake when I got reassigned to the Defense Language Institute in Montery, CA, and started hanging out at a computer store in neighboring Pacific Grove. After spending all of my available money on an Atari 800 maxed out with 40K RAM and the game Star Raiders, the owner of the store told me he'd give me all the programming work I wanted @ $50/hr if I purchased a Kaypro IBM-compatible and learned DBase, but I couldn't afford the equipment! A lot of pilots from the Naval Post-Graduate School would come into the store and try Star Raiders and immediately buy an Atari System just because the game was so close to actually flying and engaging in dogfights! Pilots would practically fall out of their chairs while leaning over during a banking turn!
    In the mid-1980s, I replaced my Atari 800 with an Atari 1040ST and then an Atari Mega ST with 4M RAm (1Meg was selling for around $1000 at the time) and had both a PC emulator as well as the Magic Sac with Mac ROMS so I could run three different machines in one, but trying to keep up with 3 different OSes proved to be too much and I switched to IBM-compatibles. My first hard drive was a 20MB SCSI unit for the Atari and cost me $400. Naturally, I thought I had more than enough storage, but quickly started running out of room.
    I eventually started assembling PCs for myself and friends and family as well as teaching others how to do it and then started supervising our PC folks at work and became a UNIX Admin for a system we had at work, but never switched over to a full-time computer slot because I was already in too high a pay slot, but managed to keep dabbling off and on with PCs until I retired.

• My first computer was an Atari 800, still have it upstairs in storage with the tape drive. Learned to program basic with that machine and spent hours typing and debugging code, good times! Moved on to a Tandy 1000 and thought it was amazing, then a 286, a 386 and then started building my own computers with my first one I built being a 486 DX2-66 with 8MB or RAM, I thought I had the fastest thing ever. From there, I just kept building and upgrading stuff. Good times and memories -