New approach for a SlingShot top...

• should not have an issue depending on how much slack you have in your wiring. Regardless of final design direction it only moves the mirror out or up by about 1".When installed with the mirror relocation arms you would also be able to hide the wiring better... :D
    I have the OE mirror arms installer for testing and further development because there are no other mirror replicators at the moment. :P

No, I think we'll be fine. I already have the mirror extenders installed, and there's enough slack in the wires from the side blinkers that I could easily account for whatever added height the frame adds.

• @Slingrazor I agree about the 3 minute removal but the removable arms will remain as part of the top design.
    I'll get a video together for the vendors thread so people have a full understanding of the tops design and functionality.
    Have to build a final pre-production version to finalize all design elements and hardware.
    That will be next month (late) at best.

Patiently waiting

:)

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• @Ruptured Duck, just remember: you can't please all of the people all of the time, and as details of your top (and other products) come out, some folks will be turned on and some will be turned off on the design and look of your stuff. That's their decision, and it's not a personal slight against you. Don't take it too much to heart. Regardless of whether people prefer your top or don't, we all want to see you succeed at your new venture, and you'll get advice from all sides as "help." It's all worth exactly what you pay for it (including this advice). Take it or leave it, but don't let it get to you either way, unless it's personally important to you.

• @Ruptured Duck, just remember: you can't please all of the people all of the time, and as details of your top (and other products) come out, some folks will be turned on and some will be turned off on the design and look of your stuff. That's their decision, and it's not a personal slight against you. Don't take it too much to heart. Regardless of whether people prefer your top or don't, we all want to see you succeed at your new venture, and you'll get advice from all sides as "help." It's all worth exactly what you pay for it (including this advice). Take it or leave it, but don't let it get to you either way, unless it's personally important to you.

If, I did not already have the UP Top, I would be getting yours. Just my 2 cent

Yes.....what he said!!!!! :00007555::00007555:

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• @KayTwo.... All very good points. In my day job I deal with what you are saying all the time. The biggest thing one always has to remember is this..... It's not what you like but rather what the customer likes.

I do not get offend too easily or upset at opinions because they all have merit. If I don't ask the questions I'll never know what everyone would like.

Remember, just because something isn't able to be done now doesn't mean it can't do done later in another product.

No one design will be for everyone, that's why you do more... :thumbsup:

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

Edited once, last by Ruptured Duck ().

• @Neosolidus here are a few better images. Hope this helps to make you more comfortable with the bushing mount size.

Yeah unfortunately the skinny side arms/bars just don't do it for me. I would prefer them to be the same diameter(or close to) as the bike's frame.

he main reason for this is that i want to top to blend in and look like it came from the factory like other tops do, the skinny mounting arm is something that would bother me a lot since it just feels like ti doesn't belong.

please know that these are my opinions and personal taste and in no way i am saying that there is something wrong with your top, just that there is a part of the design that doesn't work for me and if it stays as there is a high probability that I would be passing on the top and waiting for what you might release next.

• Yeah unfortunately the skinny side arms/bars just don't do it for me. I would prefer them to be the same diameter(or close to) as the bike's frame.
    he main reason for this is that i want to top to blend in and look like it came from the factory like other tops do, the skinny mounting arm is something that would bother me a lot since it just feels like ti doesn't belong.

please know that these are my opinions and personal taste and in no way i am saying that there is something wrong with your top, just that there is a part of the design that doesn't work for me and if it stays as there is a high probability that I would be passing on the top and waiting for what you might release next.

Nope, I get it @Neosolidus and understand where you come from. Honestly feel the other way. I looked at a lager tube but for what the tops intended use it just didn't work. Also because of the nature of the start-up business plan sourced parts are the key to making this work. No room for expensive tooling just yet. Looooooong hours looking up existing products that will work with the design also play a big part in the direction the design takes.

I think when you see it in person you will see why this direction was taken. Now a future more permanent top design may very well use bigger fixed A-pillar arms.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• I think too that because your tube in this picture is silver, where as in the other picture it's painted to match, makes yours stand out more and look a bit more of an add on part. Which it is of course. But if the person who receives one of your tops had it painted to match their Sling, I think it would just about disappear.

• working hard on the production front A-pillar mounts, frame, and rear hoop mount. One of the main goals for this top was light weight. Both from a performance standpoint and ease of removal. This is the first full 7/8" aluminum frame... OMG I thought it was light before but damn. This top want be slowing you down at all.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• That is really low profile. Did you change the design or does it just look lower with the bare frame?

good eye. It's lower but only because I'm using up spare Aluminum tubing to get the angles correct before making the final A-pillar arms (tubing is not cheap). The front will be about 2-3" higher than what you see here. A-pillar arms have the same bend angles (top and Bottom) and on the same plain. The alignment has to be so that the same arm is used left to right. Even the holes drilled in the arms for removal are along the centerline. It does not matter what side an arm is installed on the final alignment to the top frame will be the same. In its final form all parts will be interchangeab left to right. This greatly reduces the number of parts required to be made and purchased. It also greatly reduces warranty replacement issues.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• Keep in mind the top has a tented design, so you'll have some headroom inside.
    Don't know if I'll fit at 6'4", but I like the look!

yes, tomorrow I bend the two top bows that give the top its shape. It all breaks down and will ship in a standard rate UPS box. This will reduce the customers final cost as well. No expensive shipping cost.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• thank you @WOLF. When I'm done with the correct shapes I take the tubing to my fabricator to plug it all into the computer controlled bender. Will be doing 10 frames and arms for each production batch to start. The radius for the production frames will be slightly larger. This will help soften the edges a little.
    So far I'm happy with how its looking. The prototypes tend to look better because your doing one offs that production feasibility is not at the top of concerns. You design it the way you want it to look then try to get there in realistic production methods. In my case the manufacturing, tooling, and fabrication budget is the biggest problem to overcome. Simple jigs and sourced (preexisting) parts are the key. Making them look like they are custom is the hard part.. X/

(Slingshot Owners Group)