New Jeep Wrangler Truck - test mule!

• The dirt bikes sitting on the tailgate doesn't do it for me. Too much cab, not enough truck. I've never understood why people pay tens of thousand of dollars for a truck, then put a bed the size of a teacup on it. Of course the answer is overall length but that really limits it's use as a truck. I'm sure there is a market for this but it's not me. I'll stick with the CJ5 and extended cab F250 - each one does what it does quite well.

As a hauler of heavy trailers, a camper and constant full loads, I've always said a half ton truck is fine, as long as it's your car!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• The dirt bikes sitting on the tailgate doesn't do it for me. Too much cab, not enough truck. I've never understood why people pay tens of thousand of dollars for a truck, then put a bed the size of a teacup on it. Of course the answer is overall length but that really limits it's use as a truck. I'm sure there is a market for this but it's not me. I'll stick with the CJ5 and extended cab F250 - each one does what it does quite well.

As a hauler of heavy trailers, a camper and constant full loads, I've always said a half ton truck is fine, as long as it's your car!

I never understood either why some will not even use the bed, scared they will scratch the paint. WHY DO THEY EVEN BUY A TRUCK?

• And why not??? :POKESS:

Just answering your question below. I've never owned one, nor do I really care to. Would seem to me to be a good design to get water leaks, air whistling noise, rattles, just to name a few. I don't think they sold well, and likely that's the public stating they didn't care for them.

You asked.... "What about designing a truck like a van, where it's a 4 door when needed, but when not, the back of the "cabin" folds down into the bed and the seats fold down into the floor..."

• This fills market segment that does have a huge number of buyers. I do not need a truck all the time. I do not need a Jeep but am willing to overlook a lot of it's (in the past) short falls because I'm a Jeep guy. I now can have the truck when I need it and still keep a Jeep. The JL is way better than my old JK so it's a no brainier. I'll argue that it's just as stupid for me to buy the huge full-size truck if I'm not going to use it for what a truck is. Truck owners complain when people buy trucks and don't use them as designed, jack the price up for all and in thier minds water them down to fit these new buyers needs. Jeep comes along and makes a lifestyle truck for those people and Bam those people bash it for not being a full on truck. I give up!

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• This fills market segment that does have a huge number of buyers. I do not need a truck all the time. I do not need a Jeep but am willing to overlook a lot of it's (in the past) short falls because I'm a Jeep guy. I now can have the truck when I need it and still keep a Jeep. The JL is way better than my old JK so it's a no brainier. I'll argue that it's just as stupid for me to buy the huge full-size truck if I'm not going to use it for what a truck is. Truck owners complain when people buy trucks and don't use them as designed, jack the price up for all and in thier minds water them down to fit these new buyers needs. Jeep comes along and makes a lifestyle truck for those people and Bam those people bash it for not being a full on truck. I give up!

I just do not need a truck, but the manufacturers will not make what I want. Atleast GM started making the Camero's again, but I never like the Camero's either, the Firebird was always the better looking in the later years.

• For me a true truck will fit a 4x8 sheet in the bed flat and haul a decent trailer. That is what I need a truck to do. Everything else is a bonus(looks, ground clearance, infotainment 4x4...). I haven't heard if the Gladiator can fit a 4x8 sheet flat.

Ruptured Duck could you have your little birds check the bed and tail gate widths? Jeeps are pretty narrow by design.

• For me a true truck will fit a 4x8 sheet in the bed flat and haul a decent trailer. That is what I need a truck to do. Everything else is a bonus(looks, ground clearance, infotainment 4x4...). I haven't heard if the Gladiator can fit a 4x8 sheet flat.

Ruptured Duck could you have your little birds check the bed and tail gate widths? Jeeps are pretty narrow by design.

Funny, Chevy used to make a truck like that - the Chevy Avalanche. (I had 3!) But they don't make them anymore. Could haul 6 full size (read 'Merican Size) adults when needed, could carry 18 sheets of 3/4" Plywood in the rain without them getting wet (tailgate and bed cover closed), and tow 12K Lbs like a BEAST (8.1L Engine in the 2500 version). And it could still take the girlfriend or wife (but not both together) out for steak that night.

For a time the ChevyAvalancheFanClub had over 30K ACTIVE members, making the the #2 model specific fan club right behind the Corvette (and bigger than Mustang/Camaro/etc!) I think after the initial years advertising waned off, people forgot about it and it eventually died. I just had to trade my last one (2008 LT3 Z71 4WD - 180K+ miles) just 2 months ago. I wish they still made them.

WOLF the tailgate has been designed to open in two positions. The first allows it to line up with the top of the wheel wells to allow a 4x8 sheet to be slid in ans rest on the wheel wells and the top if the tailgate. So the answer is yes.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

This fills market segment that does have a huge number of buyers. I do not need a truck all the time. I do not need a Jeep but am willing to overlook a lot of it's (in the past) short falls because I'm a Jeep guy. I now can have the truck when I need it and still keep a Jeep. The JL is way better than my old JK so it's a no brainier. I'll argue that it's just as stupid for me to buy the huge full-size truck if I'm not going to use it for what a truck is. Truck owners complain when people buy trucks and don't use them as designed, jack the price up for all and in thier minds water them down to fit these new buyers needs. Jeep comes along and makes a lifestyle truck for those people and Bam those people bash it for not being a full on truck. I give up!

I use my tiny little baby bed all the time, for household stuff, mountain bikes, camping gear, kayak stuff (our 14' tandem Kayak has a trailer), for our grand kids dirt bikes (tailgate is designed to be weight bearing), for our boating stuff. The four door works for our dogs or grand kids. While we are not serious off roaders anymore we use the 4WD all the time getting the Kayak to the water, down sugar sand trails in the summer that turn into swampy trails in the spring, and on the sketchy algae covered local boat ramps that have claimed three "trucks" just this month. The 4dr/stubby bed just works for us better than either our last 2dr Sierra or JKU did. Never needed the full size bed in the Sierra, I have a trailer or company trucks for the maybe once a year I haul lumber. The JKU lacked carrying capacity and was horrible towing, even our bay boat. So I understand the design and our little ZR2 is perfect for our needs as is the Gladiator I am sure for 90% of the market. So I'll leave the "true truck guys" to their designer diesel dualiles as they ride around by them selves looking for a place to park outside the urologists office. My little "car" works just fine for me. I still have my class A if I feel the need for a real truck .....

... angel-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• This is my next new vehicle if I can figure out how not to get it into the upper 50k-60k range.

Will be used as a personal truck but plan more use for MeanSling. As an LLC I'm limited so very close tracking of milage and any use related to the business should help.

You will be able to get a Sport S with everything needed to tow 7650lbs but my consumer, money be damned American thinking says buy the Rubicon!

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• I pretty much have owned trucks all my life - but I have to disagree on the 4 door, option for me personally.

I like the extended cab not the crew cab simply for the convenience of having someplace where I can keep things dry on a long drive and more importantly a place for the dog.

The dumbest thing they ever did was to eliminate the 8' bed on extended cabs. In 2015 I had to bu a crew cab 2500 to get an 8' bed and that thing is a s long as a freight train when it is hooked up to a trailer - but it tows like a dream with that long wheel base

I'm with you, Mitch....have my 2004 2500HD crew cab with an 8 foot bed, and I wouldn't change it one bit. Yeah, it's 22' long, so what. I hate that it's become so hard to find trucks with a full bed these days. You shouldn't have to put the tailgate down to transport a motorcycle or 8' timbers.