My Slingshot just died

• OH by the way my Slingshot could Never Ever Be STOCK Again...I cut so much off it to shape it ..It's in the dumpster cut off parts..LOL

• I'm heading back to McKinney today to get my Slingshot. I went yesterday, but the trailer was just a couple or 3 inches too narrow so I'm renting a car hauler from U-Haul. When I get it back, I'm going to call Dave@DDMWorks so he can walk me through some things to check.

• I'm heading back to McKinney today to get my Slingshot. I went yesterday, but the trailer was just a couple or 3 inches too narrow so I'm renting a car hauler from U-Haul. When I get it back, I'm going to call Dave@DDMWorks so he can walk me through some things to check.

Good to Hear ! And wish you well with the findings and getting your sling back on the road..

• Well, my Slingshot is under my friend's carport and the news is as bad as I was told. I started it up and it's knocking really bad, like 2 or more rods. It sounds like the engine is about to come apart. I checked the oil and it didn't look milky but it was over the full mark which probably means there is coolant in the bottom of the oil pan. I'm thinking this engine either needs a complete rebuild or replaced.

• Sorry bro, but that does sound fatal. Good chance that it's going to need more $$$ to rebuild than either buying a used bone yard one, or better yet, go with the one from Dave # DDM. No explanation as to why it did what it did since most engines with that amount of damage would usually have some notice before being a complete total destructed hunk of aluminum.

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• I’d still like to know if you ever had any over heating issues. These early slingshots like my 2016 are notorious for getting cracks in the coolant tank and leaking coolant. Mine did this and I chose to install a DDM tank to fix the problem. I could easily see where if left un treated this could cause over heating issues

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Check the coolant level in the coolant tank. That should tell you if there is head gasket leak. It will be empty as the coolant will be in the block. If the coolant level is still full, you are not leaking coolant.
    if you had the engine running, the coolant wouldn’t be sitting in the bottom of the block under the oil, it should be mixed with the oil, and it would be a milky white color when you pulled it out on the dipstick.

All these checks should’ve been done before you run the engine again.

• Well, my Slingshot is under my friend's carport and the news is as bad as I was told. I started it up and it's knocking really bad, like 2 or more rods. It sounds like the engine is about to come apart. I checked the oil and it didn't look milky but it was over the full mark which probably means there is coolant in the bottom of the oil pan. I'm thinking this engine either needs a complete rebuild or replaced.

When you get it all checked out, I still think it would be good to check the ECM... as an engine that is not firing at the correct time will do exactly what you are describing (other than the oil being too full).

For reference... I had an old Toyota Corolla back in the day and as a "joke" my friends switched the number 1 and 4 spark plug wires... It would start but it ran just like you are describing.... once I was told was was done and switched them back ran perfectly. I would pull the plugs to see if any are fouled... quick and simple just to check before replacing...

Best of luck to you.

When the going gets tough.... Downshift.

• Maybe time to change to Electric...

I know I would think that way if cost would allow...

All my driving is at 120 mile or less driving..

And know at 72 I can make it with gas powered but if affordable would go Electric.

Don't laugh - this is probably not a bad idea. You can use the same transmission and just need an electric motor and mounting plate adapter. Then stick batteries all the way around whereever you can find space. There was a "Captain America" themed SS that did this for a while. Imagine the power of a Tesla in 1/2 (or less) the weight.

I read a story somewhere that Polaris even thought about this but it was the weight limitations to keep it an "autocycle/motorcycle" that killed it as an OEM. But that doesn't mean it can't be done aftermarket. Check out some of the electric car forums.

• Wait...there was another one!?!?!? Who was this imposter! I was the first Cappy in these parts!

Don't remember his name, but he was at the Houston Show a few years ago. All the SS body panels were off and he had an electric motor installed with a shield mounted in the hood position. I think there are some photos somewhere.

• Don't remember his name, but he was at the Houston Show a few years ago. All the SS body panels were off and he had an electric motor installed with a shield mounted in the hood position. I think there are some photos somewhere.

I remember this - he posted pictures here, if I recall correctly he had the motor in the back

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I’d still like to know if you ever had any over heating issues. These early slingshots like my 2016 are notorious for getting cracks in the coolant tank and leaking coolant. Mine did this and I chose to install a DDM tank to fix the problem. I could easily see where if left un treated this could cause over heating issues

I never had any indication that it got hot and the coolant tank was never low.