Jared & Ross & Randy & Doug's Excellent Adventure

• Day 4. Forgot to take a shot of the odometer at the end, but it was about 440 miles, about 9:15 elapsed time.

Worland, WY to Great Falls, MT, by way of Cody WY, Chief Joseph Scenic Byway, Beartooth Pass, and Red Lodge, MT. Started at 65 degrees when we got up, 55 at the top of Beartooth, and finished at 84 or so in Great Falls. Beautiful blue skys all day.

So this was Chief Joseph. The locals call it Dead Indian. Not very PC, but whatever. Topped out at 8000 feet. Very fun run.

Then we hit Beartooth, running South to North. Stopped at the Top of The World store.

Hit a little road construction right after the store, had to sit for a bit. @exharleyrider wasn't so pleased as the mosquitos were chewing him up.

We also ran into a Slingshot, on Beartooth! 2200+ miles for me this trip without seeing one outside our group. They're from Alberta Canada, orange SLR with Slingshade, and they'll be at Slingfest in Sundre in a couple days, so we'll see them again.

Then we hit the top of the Pass. 10,900 feet and change. So beautiful.

And one of the country highways in MT....

Tomorrow we leave here at 0515, and we're going to go up to St. Mary and run Going to the Sun Rd from NE to SW. Then back North, cross the border, and head for Sundre.

• I'm a little disappointed, though. Been here 30 minutes, drove 14 km, or 113 km, however the distance works here....anyway, haven't seen any frozen tundra yet, nor any polar bears. Just one moose, but he's driving the red Sling, so that doesn't count. So, yeah.... what's with that? Any of you Canucks care to explain this failure?

• No polar bears yet? You must not be looking in the right places. They must be hiding from the panty dropper, if they seen you and had to drop them they would be bear assed and that is illegal in Canada. Welcome to Canada :thumbup:

• I've made it as far as Skookumchuck BC. The ride was great except for 20 miles of very fresh oil and gravel. I'll be picking rocks out of the belt this evening. Hit a bit of rain in one pass but it felt good! See you guys in Sundre tomorrow

• I'm a little disappointed, though. Been here 30 minutes, drove 14 km, or 113 km, however the distance works here....anyway, haven't seen any frozen tundra yet, nor any polar bears. Just one moose, but he's driving the red Sling, so that doesn't count. So, yeah.... what's with that? Any of you Canucks care to explain this failure?

we're watching you, you can't see us but we can see you ! Welcome guys !

• Canadian rain sucks. They throw little ice pellets at you. Not how I wanted my frozen tundra. Just saying.

On the flip side, we got Sarah (Doug's wife) at the airport (albeit a bit delayed), the rain has stopped, and we are an hour out of Sundre.

• Dang that's some hard core riding right there. And I thought me and the misses was doing good at 200 miles in a day. Glad your all in safe, clean them up for the show then get em dirty going back home. I assume there was no trouble at the border, at least one way.

LC

• Day 5. Great Falls, MT, up to St Mary, then Glacier National Park from North to South, then a counter-clockwise loop back up North, crossed into Canada, and through Calgary to Sundre. (Pronounced "Sun-dree," I was informed.) 14 hrs, 550 miles. No picture of my odometer because I had to convert to km for my speedometer, and I was too lazy to put it back just for a pic.

Glacier National Park and Going To The Sun road are awesome, and not to be missed. There was a low cloudbank on the northern part of the road, so we missed out on a few views, but there were still plenty. Plus after we topped out and went down the other side, it cleared right up.

This next one was one of the coolest things I saw all day. This is the cloud from the other side of the mountain, spilling over the top. I got a short video of it, maybe I'll figure out how to post it. In the meantime, here you go.

It did rain as we were driving through Calgary, and it is of note that the repairs that I did to my rain gear while i was in WI, with putting the liquid rubber tape on the inside seams, definitely made a difference. I have a couple other thoughts about things I have learned on this trip, but I will share them separately tomorrow. It's pretty late tonight.

However, I did do some basic math tonight, and I think I am just over 3000 miles for the first half of the trip, 5 days of driving in 6 calendar days.

• I've never been up that way. First time seeing pictures of the area..... definitely on the bucket list now! That is beautiful, and I must see it for myself in the near future! Thanks for posting these Jared!