New approach for a SlingShot top...

• Interested in seeing more... Great stuff so far!

I'm also wondering if the support frame lines can flow front to back, rather than side to side? That way it could compliment the lines of the hood or fenders?

I really like that it is a quick release type if thing... Something easily stored in the garage! Also, notice your side mirrors have different hardware...?

• Interested in seeing more... Great stuff so far!

I'm also wondering if the support frame lines can flow front to back, rather than side to side? That way it could compliment the lines of the hood or fenders?

I really like that it is a quick release type if thing... Something easily stored in the garage! Also, notice your side mirrors have different hardware...?

@MiM the way the top is designed (tilt forward) and the ability to quickly remove the front mounting brackets forces some design directions. Remember that the two big features are entry and exiting ability and the removability. These features do not allow me to do a front to back support system (if I understand your question). I am still working on the final design of the canopy. There have been two prior canopy designs that I tried to follow the SS body lines but ran into wrinkles in the fabric tops when installed. To keep the top cost down the fabric top is designed to simple fasten into place . I'm still working with my canvas guy to streamline this design even further. As I noted earlier there will be one more canopy frame designed, built and tested to see if we can get some of that prior profile look back in without producing an unattractive fabric fit.
    If development cost and tooling were not a concern there could be decorative panels drawings that attach to the front a arms and the top sides to match design elements of the SS.

As for the mirror arms, I designed them as mirror relocation brackets. I didn't care for the design and location of the OE mirror arms so I made my own.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• This may be the first time in my life I wish I was shorter. Sounds like at 6'6" I'll be too tall for your top.

#02828 January 2015 build date.
    Here to assist anyone in the Denver area.

• thats great. do you have a price point at this time?

@VIPNiSS This is the hardest question to nail down at this time. I honestly do not want to state a hard number because I do not have enough cost information in front of me at this time. I can tell you that the goal is to offer it at a realistic price that we can all live with. I will promise you (if able to get to market ) the cost is well south of $1,000
    The design was primarily driven by what the retail cost for this top might be. Things like bracket designs and bars were all worked out so that minimal tooling and design work would be needed to go into production. Most all brackets have been designed to be left, right interchangeable and minimal jigs for the few welds. The canopy cover frame will be the most expensive item to produce. it will be designed to be a shippable 2pcs part to reduce box size. By doing this the top can ship standard UPS/Fedex. This will also allow retailers to stock a top much easier in far less valuable space if desired.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• That is a great job! I am looking at a wind restrictor as well, this is the first design for a top that leaves the back side of the roll bars available. So I have become very interested.

One question....

When you say you have the height adjusted to accommodate people 6'4". Is that with or without helmet on? Meaning about 6'5"-6'6" with helmet, or limit at 6'4" with helmet? (I may need to look at your adjustment options.)

Heh, with luck, by the time I can afford one, you'll be in production.

Well done Sir.

• @MBMedic the 6'4" is with a helmet on. I'm 5'10"ish and have plenty of room above my helmet. The real struggle for taller people will be the forward view up. This is directed more at stoplight viability than anything else. I'm working to improve this and the next canopy will allow a lot better visibility. I'm just not ready to say that it will work for anyone taller at this time. What I consider as being OK may be way different than the taller person looking for a top option. I'm OK excepting that the top may not be good for taller people. I would rather be honest than try to squeeze another sale.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• Im 6'4 ruptured and would be happy to test it out for you. I'm not really interested in a top. But I like yours and would be willing to run it for a couple weeks call you and give you some honest feedback. Not looking for any handouts just here to help. I have a double bubble windshield would that make a difference in if someone could get the top or not?

• Im 6'4 ruptured and would be happy to test it out for you. I'm not really interested in a top. But I like yours and would be willing to run it for a couple weeks call you and give you some honest feedback. Not looking for any handouts just here to help. I have a double bubble windshield would that make a difference in if someone could get the top or not?

Double Bubble would not make a difference. Other aftermarket windshields and windshield accessories are being reviewed at this time but ALL stock Polaris designs will be accounted for. I have tested the top without any windshield at high speeds (you don't want to know) without issue.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• Top looks great. Good work on the design and making it look right. If you can achieve the goal of under a grand I would definitely be interested. Right now I have a problem with most designs being permanently mounted to the SS. Really like the fact that its an easy conversion back to full open air as that is my preferred setup but when my wife comes along or take my dad out for a ride longer than 20 min he would appreciate it as he has skin cancer and any sun is bad.

• Top looks great. Good work on the design and making it look right. If you can achieve the goal of under a grand I would definitely be interested. Right now I have a problem with most designs being permanently mounted to the SS. Really like the fact that its an easy conversion back to full open air as that is my preferred setup but when my wife comes along or take my dad out for a ride longer than 20 min he would appreciate it as he has skin cancer and any sun is bad.

100% why it is designed the way it is!
    My wife has had spots removed because of cancer so that hit home for me.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• With all the extra pics from different angles, I'm really liking it RD. Keep up the good work. It looks so good I have no design inputs to give you. The wife said I'm done with mods this year, but when she sees an affordable top I know she will begging me to get it. Its usually the other way around. Actually, I've become quite good at asking forgiveness. ;)

• @MBMedic the 6'4" is with a helmet on. I'm 5'10"ish and have plenty of room above my helmet. The real struggle for taller people will be the forward view up. This is directed more at stoplight viability than anything else. I'm working to improve this and the next canopy will allow a lot better visibility. I'm just not ready to say that it will work for anyone taller at this time. What I consider as being OK may be way different than the taller person looking for a top option. I'm OK excepting that the top may not be good for taller people. I would rather be honest than try to squeeze another sale.

As I said in my PM, I am 6'4" on my own. Look at about 6'5.5 - 6'6" with helmet.

Honestly, the look of the top is one I think I prefer to the Twist dynamics choice. It seems to me that the wider top matches the stature of the Slingshot better. While I do like the twist dynamics look, I feel it gives it a "peak", like it is narrowing too much.

Your wider design flows better and would love to work with you if you wish to tackle the issue around us tall peoples.

• I am sure they can put a bubble in it like the old Ford GT

What a coincidence......I just got this shot of you the other day @Jonathan Thompson:
    Maybe @Ruptured Duck can modify a top to perform like this for you :00010317::00008356::00008172:
    Head thru Roof.jpeg

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• @Ruptured Duck I'm very very interested in your roof design and possible opportunity to buy!!! What a great design, and from what I'm reading and seeing....very well thought out!!! I'm subscribed and will follow closely!!!
    Thanks for doing all the hard work that it took to get this far!!!!

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• Why would I be interested????

1. It's designed by one of our own.
    2. It's innovative and tested by an actual owner.
    3. Because Ruptured Duck is a friggn' GENIUS!
    4. It will be affordable, functional and easy on/off.

Why would I not be interested???

1. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz