LED replacement headlights

• The stock halogens reminded me of the light output of my '74 AMC Javelin.

Changed to HID immediately. This was a huge improvement.

After many others in my group raved about their LED's, I bought a full set of the typical flat (two sided) LED bulbs. They did appear brighter but, the pattern was terrible. Scattered light and shadow spots. I went back to the HID's.

At the beginning of this season, I went with 360 degree LED bulbs. This is a winner!!!

Beam is bright and focused with a very sharp cutoff.

The 360 bulbs were from Amazon. About $40 per pair.

• Good question SoCal - will those work on all 4? Anything else needed besides the bulbs themselves or just swap out the bulbs? Been looking at this myself the HID's are yellowish vs the white LED brows.

Never realized how "yellow" they are until I compared them to my halo's - dingy yellow - time for a change.

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• In your SS or javelin? If the SS do you remember #'s perhaps - Amazon order ? Perhaps these???

Thats just another reason I love this place! SOOOO many more people with knowledge way beyond my pay grade! This has the module to eliminate any error messages that were spoke of in years gone by posts too I believe. Ghost I think made the point.

Appreciated!

Edited 2 times, last by SoCal ().

• I see them on E-Bay thanks for the #'s! Are these for ALL the lights or just the center?

If for just the center then do you need a different # / LED for the outside headlights?

Also - I see you have H-8 on the box. The replacement bulbs are for H-3 and H-9

Those are for the center. Not sure of the numbers for the outside lights as I changed the outside lights completely

• In your SS or javelin? If the SS do you remember #'s perhaps - Amazon order ? Perhaps these???

These were the bulbs for the inner H11 lights:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R…A2?_x_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

These were the outer H3 lights:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088…3R?_x_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Installing the inner H11's are as simple as plugging them in and 1/4 turn to lock.

The outer H3's are a bit challenging no matter what LED you use. The stock Slingshot housing has the locking clip that tends to be a pain. These bulbs can slide out of the H3 mount. This allows you to clip the H3 ring in place and then just push the bulb (and fan) into the housing (there are 2 rubber o-rings that seal it). The last pic on Amazon shows that it removes from the H3 mount.

The power plugs are just male blade connectors so, just plugged them into the Slingshot's female blades and secured with electrical tape and zip ties. I did not re-install the rubber boot. It would only trap heat. Bulbs are waterproof.

Disclaimer - I did need to use a rat tail file to the H3 mount as it was a bit too tight at the half moon and square locks on the factory housing.

• Ok here goes a possible stupid question... If you want an H11 or H8 or H9 LED are they all the same as far as the install goes? In other words are all bulbs with that designation the same "twist and install" design? So even if it says it is for Honda or whatever the bulb will fit our SS because it is an H11 etc?

• Ok here goes a possible stupid question... If you want an H11 or H8 or H9 LED are they all the same as far as the install goes? In other words are all bulbs with that designation the same "twist and install" design? So even if it says it is for Honda or whatever the bulb will fit our SS because it is an H11 etc?

H11, H8, H9 all have the same base.

• Okay so the H11 or H8 or H9 LED go in the center. Can they also go in the outside H-3 location? I imagine I would have to arrange for the receiver but is the 12V wiring the same? Circuit accommodation ok? Or is this overkill??

• SoCal try Googling the h3 bulb and the h11 bulb and see what you think. It's quite a difference

Yes the H-11 is full on while the H-3 is a running light. All 4 as H-11 would be seriously bright- as long as it’s respectful to oncoming traffic 😎

Overkill has never really been an issue on this forum and 😜

• Yes the H-11 is full on while the H-3 is a running light. All 4 as H-11 would be seriously bright- as long as it’s respectful to oncoming traffic 😎

I toyed with the idea of retrofitting center lights to the outside before going with the clover lights. Polaris is proud of those center lights. If I ever have a issue with them they'll probably be swapped out also

• Yes the H-11 is full on while the H-3 is a running light. All 4 as H-11 would be seriously bright- as long as it’s respectful to oncoming traffic 😎

The H11 and H3 bulbs that I bought are the same brightness…..Very bright.

Both inner and outer housings are projector housings that have a very wide beam with a sharp cut off line.

The inner housing has a mechanical shutter that opens for the high beam. The light doesn’t get brighter, it just lifts the shutter for a full round reflector as opposed to a half moon pattern.

I would certainly suggest adjusting both as per the manual. Even stock and untouched, I see many are way out of adjustment. With such a sharp cut off, even being a slight bit high transitions to a huge difference 100 yards ahead of you. Adjusting both are very easy. I believe they are torx T20 (maybe T25). Plus, when they are all adjusted to focus in front of you, that gives you much better visibility of what you need to see. Easiest analogy would be to take 4 flashlights and point them in parallel at the wall. Then adjust them to the same spot on the wall. Big difference.