Better headlights for safer night rides

• Here's an update reflecting my current thoughts on trying to get better headlights mounted on my 2015 Slingshot.

On a whim, I ordered some 4x6 LED headlights from Amazon (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B016OOUUWS/) and some Y-type mounting brackets from EBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-…ts-Y-bracket/174200535974). After initially powering up one of the 4x6 rectangular LED headlights (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B016OOUUWS/) and seeing how much light it produced and looking at its pattern/spread, I'm not that interested in that style headlight, although I still want to test how the headlight actually functions at night. While returning from a night Slingshot ride a few weeks ago, I rode ahead of a tractor-trailer setup that appeared to have the same LED setup with 3 rows of LEDs with only the top row and middle LED of the second row powered on Low beam. The light pattern didn't seem too bad, but I can't be sure that the truck had the same brand of LED headlights.

I've also considered Morimoto Sealed3 LED headlights, but since they're still very new to the market, there isn't much in the way of reviews. The Dual Beam Hi/Low version of the Sealed3 headlights cost $180 each, but the only pattern pictures I've found (see - Sealed3: Morimoto 90mm LED Headlights All Beams /Bi-LED I XD) are not clearly labeled to allow me to determine which picture is for the High Beam only version or the High/Low beam version of the Sealed3 headlight.

Several years ago when I started thinking about increased light output for my Slingshot, I also looked at Hella headlights, but focused primarily on Hella's 60mm models since I already knew the Hella 90mm Hi/Low Halogen units used on the 2015 Slingshots were reportedly too large to fit as outer headlights, at least as far as bolt-in alternatives. I recently started looking more closely at Hella's 90mm halogen headlights and am still researching to see if I can fit both a High beam and a Low beam 90mm Hella headlight in the outer headlight location on my Slingshot. I became particularly interested in these headlights after finding new units for sale on EBay where It looks like I can buy two 90mm High beam and two 90mm Low beam headlights as well as 4 sets of Hella 90mm mounting brackets for about $25 more than one of the High/Low beam Morimoto Sealed3 headlights. I still need to make sure that I can fit both a High and a Low beam headlight in the same space the standard Slingshot Auxiliary headlight and Canadian Headlight normally occupy, although I doubt I will be able to use the stock Slingshot outer headlight cover/bezel. Here's the Ebay links for the headlights and bracket -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hella…d-Clear-Lens/332725235394

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hella…nd-Clear-Len/332725233624

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hella…ting-Bracket/402345034625

Based on reviews I've read from folks who have used these headlights as replacements on Mazda Miatas, Pontiac Firebirds and motorhomes, these headlights seem to produce more light than the headlights they replaced, but I'd still like to learn more about haw far the headlights can project usable light down the road and more about the beam patterns. Here is some info on what I've found so far -

If I can indeed fit both High and Low beam assemblies into the space available for the Slingshot's outer headlights, I think these units may be my best choice, especially at the price of roughly $205 for the four headlights and mounting brackets. Assuming I actually get these things installed, I'll try to post how I did it in the DIY section.

• 10.24.20 - Minor update - Here's a picture of the mounting holes for the current Auxiliary headlight and the Canadian Headlight superimposed on a full-size drawing of the Hella 90mm headlight units -

Given the differences between the mounting holes for the two sets of headlights, I'm not sure if there is enough metal in the stock outer headlight bracket to handle the 90mm Hella units.

Here is a picture showing how a modified outer headlight bezel might accommodate the 90mm headlight diameters -

As mentioned in the above pic, trying to figure out where to drill mounting holes either in the stock outer headlight bracket (assuming the bracket is large enough to handle the larger mounting hole spacing) or to properly position a bracket that would actually position the high and low beam Hella 90mm properly within each bezel. While I was taking the above photos, I realized the Hella 60mm high or low beam headlight units should probably be an easier fit since the outer auxiliary headlight and the CH headlights are both uses 60mm lenses. I have read positive comments about the 60mm units producing light output similar to the Hella 90mm units, but I'm not sure if replacing the 60mm stock/CH headlight units with the Hella 60mm units will make that much difference.

I have an old CH headlight that I removed the lens from (my Wife wanted it for a project) and I am thinking about cutting the front portion of the headlight that had held the lens so that I can trace a full-size template to superimpose over the Full-Size Template I show above.This should help me figure out fitment, or I just may risk the $205 cost so I can physically place the 90m headlight units to see if I can make things work.

Anyway, this shows where my current thought processes have taken me.

• BKL Thanks for always doing a super job defining the mods that you are working on. words and pics.

Looks like I'm trapping myself into actually having to get off my rear and try to get this mod done. I've certainly been thinking about it for several years (since my first night ride back in 2015)!

TBH, the 60mm setup would probably be easier to implement, but I've always preferred larger headlights since my two-wheel days when I compared dual 4" units wit 5-3/4" and 7" headlights and learned how much better larger headlights performed. Admittedly, those were reflector units, but I agree with the old saying that size does matter. Polaris originally chose the Hella 90mm dual-beam headlights and I've never really felt the 60mm auxiliary or CH produced anywhere near as much light as the 90mm units and now that Morimoto has released LED 90mm units as Low, High or Dual-beam units I wanted to take another look at the Hella 90mm units since I could buy a set of 2 High beam and 2 Low beam units for just a little more than one of the Morimoto units. In my research on the Morimoto Sealed3 units, I never found a clear listing as to LED bulb life, although I seem to remember seeing something about a 10,000 hr life and I was a little concerned about having to replace the entire assembly if/when the LED burned out instead of just replacing the LED bulb as I would do with an aftermarket LED bulb, which resulted in me revisiting the Hella 90mm headlights after also reading that some folks reported being happy with the Hella 90mm units with HID/LED replacement bulbs.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• Update on my headlight efforts - After ordering 4 Hella brackets and not realizing the vnedor had a minimum order quantity of 20 and receiving a refund, I ordered the 4 Hella Classic 90mm headlight mounting brackets from Rallylights.com and selected the cheapest shipping option (around $17.50 for 2-day delivery via USPS Parcel Post). I placed my order at 0135 on Friday, Nov 6 and Rallylights had my shipment at USPS by mid-afternoon that day. I was thrilled to expect delivery by 9 pm Monday, Nov 9. Unfortunately, USPS must have thought my order was an absentee ballot and I still don't have a new delivery date. I have purchased 2 pieces of 6"x12"x1/8" aluminum sheets I plan on using to fab mounting sheets to bolt to the existing headlight mounting brackets in the Slingshot. After I finally receive the Hella brackets I will figure out where to mount each bracket on the 1/8" aluminum sheets to position the headlights the way I want them. Then, I'll probably start a new DIY thread to document how and what I've done.

• Here's more info on things I've thought about to get to this point -

Here's a couple pics of the H4 4x6 rectangular LED headlights I bought from Amazon and the mounts I got off Ebay.

As shown in the second pic, these LED headlight bulbs use a normal H4 connector. The EBay mounts can be attached so the headlight can

mount to the body below or above the headlight by simply vertically flipping how the bracket is mounted to the headlight bulb. The EBay bracket

can be adjusted both horizontally and vertically using just the 2 bolts in the bracket. The LED headlights were around $60 for a set of 4 and a set of two of the EBay brackets were less than $13 with free shipping.

I tested them in my Family Room, but haven't checked the headlight pattern outdoors at night. Based on the initial indoor testing, I’m not sure the 4x6 rectangular headlights will produce a decent enough horizontal low-beam spread and the high-beam pattern appeared to have a central circular pattern even though the same LEDs that produce the low-beam are still on in high-beam operation.

I still hope to try and capture some night pics that give some idea of the light patterns and throw of these headlights and will post the pics once I get around to testing them outdoors at night. I am currently leaning towards just setting up a headlight in the street in front of my home at the same height it would be mounted to my Slingshot. There are some highway end of street bars at the end of my street that should give some idea about the throw of the these lights.

Here are some pics of the Hella 90mm Classic headlights I bought from EBay. They were priced well from NewEnglandIndustrial's EBay store and significantly cheaper than Amazon.

The left pic shows the reflector Hi beam unit and the right pic shows the projector Low beam. Both bulbs come with a H9 conventional bulb, but if I can figure out how to mount them, I also want to try some LED bulbs in them. With the stock outer headlight mounting frame in place, I thought it might be possible to enlarge the holes in the front trim piece to allow clearance for the larger 90mm headlights, but I now believe I will need to fab a new trim piece. Here's a pic of the stock outer headlight bracket (taken from the rear to show the tab used to secure the headlight assembly in place) -

I'm in the process of fabbing a mounting plate from foam board to transfer to a 1/8" aluminum mounting plate. My current plan id to drill out the center to allow the 1/8" aluminum plate to clear the mounting tab (circled in RED). I also plan on mounting the Hella mounting brackets to the aluminum plate, but it might also be possible to use one of the brackets to determine where to drill holes in the aluminum plate to eliminate the need for the Hella brackets. Note - The stock bracket is shown with the rear side forward since it was easier to photograph it that way, but the outer headlight should be a little higher than the inner headlight once things are properly oriented. I plan on mounting the Hella low Beam projectors in the outer-most position with the High Beams reflectors in the inner position while still having the dual Hella Hi-Lo units I already have in the center. My CH units are currently wired for Hi-Lo operation, so I'll rewire the connector to just work on High beam, giving me 4 headlights on Low beam (2 center Low beam units plus the 2 outer Low beam units) and 6 headlights when in High beam operation (2 outer Low beam units plus the inner reflector High beams and the center High beams).

• Over time, I've broken the mounting tabs on both of my headlight shrouds/cover and replaced the broken plastics with some metal pipe strapping to reattach my headlight shrouds/covers, but they may not be positioned as accurately as the stock mounting tabs. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone in the Houston area with intact 2015 headlight shrouds or later model years with the Canadian Headlights would allow me to pull their outer headlight assemblies and test-fit the new mounting bracket I'm fabbing to see if I can figure out where the headlights should be positioned on the bracket to line up with the existing shroud openings. Removing and reinstalling the assembly should not affect headlight aim. My hope is to fasten my test bracket so that I can then try to position where the new, larger 90mm Hella headlights should be placed so I can determine if the original headlight shroud/cover can be modified to allow the stock shroud/cover to be used with the new, larger Hella headlight units or if I should just proceed with making my own headlight shrouds one I get the new headlights positioned.

I live in Spring, TX, west of the Cypresswood or Louetta Rd exits off I-45. Either I can come to your place or you can come to me. Please PM me if you want to help or text me at Seven-Zero-Three-Five-Nine-Seven-Four-Two-Three-Three. Feel free to ask questions if there are any questions about what I want to do.

• Not having received any offers from other owners here in the Houston area to let me measure the headlight positioning using their Slingshot, I broke down and ordered the Headlight pods and am waiting on delivery so I can try to figure out where to place the headlights so I can enlarge the Headlight pod openings to accommodate the new, larger headlights. I doubt I'll get around to doing much more with the headlights until after I finish collecting my tax data and finish completing my taxes. I'm hoping to get things done sooner than I did last year when I didn't even have my data organized enough for my CPA until some time in in June or July last year. Hopefully, I'll get my taxes done sooner rather than later this year!:/

I also ordered some weatherproof connectors for the headlights (hopefully, I ordered the ones I'll be needing). Just wanted to let folks know I hadn't forgotten about trying to upgrade my headlights.

• Received an email today from TMSParts that my Headlight Pods' (shrouds around the headlights) shipping info has been received by UPS, but I UPS doesn't have the package yet. I just hope I don't end up breaking them installing and removing them while I work on the 90mm Hella headlight mounts.