POLARIS PULL YOUR HEAD OUT

• This posting was taken from Slingshot Nation on Facebook. It was posted on September 24 by Glenn Carpenter.

I agree with him completely about Polaris. Their marketing dept. is composed of idiots, I wonder if any of them have even driven a slingshot. The comments about dealerships will depend on the dealer involved good or bad. His comments on accessories are spot on.

(walking up to the Soapbox to vent)

The Polaris business model is real inefficient and makes absolutely no sense. Whomever developed it really needs to go back to business school.

First: Branding and lack thereof. You go to dealers and see no banners, no merchandizing, and no part supplies. How do you get customers excited if you aren’t excited too? At a minimum, there should be banners, clothing, and parts/accessories to show potential new customers/returning customers what is possible. The dealerships should also have a basic set of parts so that they can do simple maintenances.

Second: Centralization. The dealers need to go to Polaris for their approval on EVERYTHING. The dealers should be able to do any basic warranty work without needing to get prior approval from Polaris. A gasket leaks on a three month old vehicle, the dealer should not need to go to Polaris for permission to repair it. It’s obvious that it’s not wear and tear at three months old and clearly under warranty! Think about the inefficiency of having to centrally address each/every little issue. This slows things down immensely and irritates (at a minimum) customers/dealers.

Knowledge base is also too centralized. Polaris does not adequately train its mechanics/service writers. A constant issue you see is where dealers do not know about their products and must contact Polaris for explanation/direction/guidance on how it works, how to maintain it, or repair it.

Third: Customer support/appreciation: Harley Davidson, Honda, et al understand that along with “branding”, that you need to support your customer base, and encourage them to like/want/need your brand. Harley Davidson has Harley Owners Group (HOG) at each dealership. Honda has a similar program, etc. These groups encourage people to be excited about their product, compare what others have done to their vehicles, use them (hear service/maintenance money being made), and promote their product to others (hear free advertising).

Mind you that: a) I have had my Slingshot for a short time now; b) have limited experience with the Slingshot community; c) LOVE my Slingshot; and d) in three months have over 4,000 miles on it - but I am at a total loss as to how Polaris seems to think that this business model works.

My experience in buying my Slingshot was painful. All seven dealerships, I dealt with, offered the exact same “discount”; no negotiations on service packages; extended warranties; and had to be forced to take a trade-in (but only well under bottom Kelly Blue Book/NADA values). I was literally told at four dealerships that I could “take it or leave it”. Two dealerships told me that they sold Slingshots only because they had to otherwise they have absolutely no interest in them.

After signing the last purchase document, I was told that the Slingshot I was buying was not available to take home due to “throwing a service code” that they needed to call Polaris for explanation/approval to fix. After spending all of this money, I went home with only paper in my hand and it would not be for 5 days before I was able to drive the Slingshot home. How exciting is that? How much faith does this give a new customer about his new purchase? How likely is this new customer to sing your dealership or product praises?

The day after I made my purchase (and still before I got my SS), I was sent a survey from Polaris about my purchase. I completed the survey (as I would normally do as a Yelp Elite reviewer) factually explaining my entire experience. The response to the survey? I had the dealership general manager call me - trying to explain more than apologize - and ask me to change my survey. He offered nothing to appease me - like offer me a t-shirt, reduction in cost for accessories/add-ons/service or even telling me my Slingshot was available.

I have purchased/owned 53 street bikes; 13 cars and numerous dirt/off road vehicles. Yes, I am that old. I have never had this kind of experience after purchasing a vehicle. Never have I walked away wondering what just happened or regretting my making a purchase. Again, I LOVE my Slingshot. The fact that I’ve put 4000 miles in three months attests to my “smiles per mile”. I just can’t understand this company model.

(slowly steps off soapbox and walks away)…..

• This is the review I left for my dealer:

I had called about a 2018 Slingshot for $16999, the salesperson told me it was sold but they could sell me a 2019 for $17999. I thought that was great and made an appt for 2 days later which was Saturday.

I arrived and would soon experience my first red flag.

• After the introductions I showed them my trade in which the NADA estimator had between $4,210 To $5,145 (straight from the Polaris website). They ended up offering me approximately $3600. The vehicle is garage kept, no damage and well accessorized.

• Second red flag; they told me that special offer for $17999 had expired and would sell me the unit for the mid $18k.

After tax, tag dealer fees the grand total was just under $23k.

The way they estimated my payments was $1500 down and $450 a month, which seemed huge to me.

Unfortunately I let them run my credit (I had pre approval from my credit union) so they offered me the same price but paid for longer term, so I left. I was not comfortable with those numbers.

I got curious after I got home so I looked up a vehicle loan estimator. I put in $23000 (the OTD price estimated up) and my interest at 6.5 (again estimated up) with the $1500 down and it said my payment should have been $418, not $450. My guess is that they wrapped the various credit protections as I had declined them from my credit union.

Honestly I'm not sure where the fault lies (as I was ready to buy) but do not regret walking away.

****************UPDATE**************

They had called me while I was at another dealer and told me they would meet my numbers; curiosity got the best of me (as I was doing the haggling thing at the time) and I went.

They met my numbers EXACTLY. When I originally came up with them, I had determined while I got a really good price they would still make a profit.

In the previous review I mentioned a "comfortable" feeling when my purchased at Motorcycle Enthusiasts, that feeling was back.

They went to the extent of simplifying how the numbers were presented (I'm really a bottom line guy, I don't care how we get there) and to put icing on the cake that credit check that they did the previous week netted me a lower interest rate.

I am absolutely thrilled at how this updated experience worked out.

WHERE I WENT WRONG: I needed to be much more clear about the price I was willing to pay. The salesperson (as nice as they may be) work for the dealer and their responsibility is to their employer.

In conclusion I ABSOLUTELY do not regret going back.

• I don’t think he did much research before his purchase as this has been going on since Nov 2014. There is now plenty of documentation on the web to support his findings. The thing that gets me is how slow Polaris is at correcting their mistakes if they decide to. Many problems are still here since the 2015 slingshot arrived to the public. Can you imagine how many of us felt after waiting 4-6 months for their slingshot after putting down $1000 deposits and paying premium prices to be first owners. Then after purchase getting treated like a red-headed step child.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• they came up with a unique product... they suffer from A lack of trained mechanics because Of the newness of the SS and The relatively low number of units sold...that creates a lack of mechanic job security....So will all their trainIng classes be a waste of their time...I don’t see many Polaris tv commercials for any type of vehicle..I didn’t get a free t shirt For my purchase. I have never even ridden with anyone else that owns one.....I’m like the “lone stranger“ in my area...I don’t feel like I got a fantastic deal ....but the dealer took pretty good care of me after....As mentioned I think the dealers are walking a strict line laid down by polaris.....as far as warranty issues...contact Polaris to explain the issue, offer the proof needed, wait for approval, then wait for the part/s to be sent from Polaris, then wait for the dealer to get them, install them and give your vehicle back.

After Polaris dropped the Victory....their interest in motorcycles was sorta exposed...their main business is quads as far as I can see......so any issue I have with my SS is scheduled behind quad repairs and dealer prep of new quads. With many selling at the same price points as the SS....my dealer had a loaded Diesel quad For Sale at $33,000....2- 3 years ago...Just to ride around in the woods...needs A trailer to be towed on the highway.

To be clear ...bean counters run the companies....they have orders to make the company money so the CEO can get his Yearly bonus....Does he Even own a quad or a slingshot or a motorcycle?

• Wow! Maybe things are done differently out west here where back in May of 2015 when we purchased our original SlingShot we got it for $25,000, no haggling and that included the full cover. Justina rode it off the showroom floor only after a couple of hours of arrival. The dealer has always stepped up and serviced our SlingShot as needed without consulting home base for approval. They even went so far as removing body parts from a showroom model to replace warranty parts on our SlingShot just to get us on our way and the service representatives have also appeared very knowledgeable when it came to repairs? So, with what we have experienced, some dealers are obviously using contacting Polaris before doing repairs purely as an excuse?

I do have a gripe where Polaris is forcing dealers out of handling the SlingShot, where here in Oregon we are now down to two from six original dealers. Having to now travel nearly 200 miles to get to our nearest SlingShot dealer is admittedly a pain.

Bill

• My 2¢ on Polaris marketing...

The Slingshot itself is just the cost of entry. MANY Slingshot owners pump so many $ into mods that they quickly & easily surpass Vanderhall prices...

They would do the same with the Vanderhall.

That being said; I LOVE the look of the Vanderhall, researched a few reviews and the seating seems to be more narrow than the SS. Not to mention aftermarket support is nowhere near the SS level.

Have I pumped money into my SS? Yes. Fuse block, LED kit, jump terminals, double bubble windshields and a few knick knacks. Hoping for top and suspension soon. All of that will probably keep my S model SLIGHTLY under the base model Vanderhall though...

• Okay, so let me chime in. I was one of those guys that put money down in Oct 2014 and didn't get delivery until August 2015 (mostly due to Texas law delay, then Polaris playing catch up with demand). I paid heavily for the privilege of being #4 in Central Texas. And now that dealer does not sell many SS if at all.

Now that said, I'm on SS #3, well over $10k in mods, not including stereo and don't have a turbo (yet). The dealer I bought this one from sells 40+ SS/month AND Vanderhalls. Has support for the local riders, and is active in the community. I've taken mine back there twice for service - 120+ miles each way.

What I'm trying to say is original poster is correct about Polaris should be doing more, but the dealer also has a responsibility to get out there too. If the dealer decides they want to be successful in this market, they can be.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

• Well, Ironically enough with this post my local dealer just severed ties with polaris. I kinda got the feeling it was coming a few weeks ago. This year to my knowledge they only had one 2020 ever in stock. They were our group sponsor and had posted up on fb they had heavily discounted cockpit cover so I went by to pick it up. The guy I asked started stuttering saying he wasn't sure they could get slingshot parts anymore until the manager came up and recognized me saying the cover was in the back. When leaving I noticed there were no Slingshots on the lot or in the showroom floor. The spot on the floor where the slingshot banners were now had a new brand of off road vehicle in it's spot blocking the few dusty hats and hoodies they had left. Then we were called this week to let us know they could no longer sponsor the group and had no affiliation with polaris. Sooooo... looks like another one bites the dust.

• Well, Ironically enough with this post my local dealer just severed ties with polaris. I kinda got the feeling it was coming a few weeks ago. This year to my knowledge they only had one 2020 ever in stock. They were our group sponsor and had posted up on fb they had heavily discounted cockpit cover so I went by to pick it up. The guy I asked started stuttering saying he wasn't sure they could get slingshot parts anymore until the manager came up and recognized me saying the cover was in the back. When leaving I noticed there were no Slingshots on the lot or in the showroom floor. The spot on the floor where the slingshot banners were now had a new brand of off road vehicle in it's spot blocking the few dusty hats and hoodies they had left. Then we were called this week to let us know they could no longer sponsor the group and had no affiliation with polaris. Sooooo... looks like another one bites the dust.

Polaris must be real strict on the dealer stipulations...and quotas...