Someone is having a bad day

• I have not heard of that many of them coming apart

I agree with funcycle. You have a few fail, now they are built cheaply. I have a 15 c7 vette that has had problems with the 8 speed transmission but no one on the vette forums are saying GM built a cheap car for high profits. People just love to bla.e the manufacturer. Polaris has stepped up to the plate in all cases I know and has do e recalls when warranted. And I am not a Polaris loyalist.

• While I’m sorry to see a failure like this in the pics that were posted, if the case broke while driving normally as the guy stated, then you would have to ask what else is going on with the vehicle? The pinion brace is not invincible,it’s just something that helps which is how we market it. We make no claims of it being an end all solution which is what I think a lot of people assume. Furthermore, if there is going to be a failure in a circumstance when there should not be, like driving normal around the corner, then clearly something else was wrong like not enough or no fluid in the angle drive. Or possibly his case was already cracked when installed. The pics that have been posted do not show a lot of gear oil around the area. I’ve seen a couple of these explode first hand and it’s taken 4-5 cans of brake clean to get the majority off. Maybe it was cleaned before the pics were taken, I don’t know. However, if you look at the pic, the brace actually did it’s job and held the yoke together where the majority of the failures happen. The other pic posted where the whole gear is missing looks like once the initial pics were taken, they removed the drive and beat the hole bigger since it was already wasted at that point anyway. Just my 2 cents.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• I have to admit, on the few occasions that I've seen or heard of the angle drive meeting it's demise, I was surprised to see that the drive belt didn't go first. That must be one tough SOB (for which I'm glad) 😉

Belt technology has been around, and been improved upon for decades. Slingshot angle drives, not so much.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• It looks like this brace saved someone from a possible injury. If yoke let go and the driveshaft separated worse things could have happened.

From a safety stand point I think it did its job. I have to agree that the failure was eminent and caused by something else. Those of us that are boosted put a ton of power to that drive both on and off the track and I personally have not had any issues and haven't seen an issue at any of the track days we have run.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• My 1st angle drive on my 2nd Sling had a leak from the factory. It didn't leak a lot but If I didn't pay attention or notice it, eventually that gear box would have gotten low enough on fluid to grenade. I wonder how many of the few failures I have heard of are from this happening without the owner's knowledge. I bet it's more than zero.

And for what it's worth, my opinion on the angle drive brace is that it will not prevent a bad casting from letting go but will protect a good casting. (My engineering degree came in a box of Cracker Jacks).

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• This picture shows that there was oil in the rear end. I have no clue as to the circumstances of anything, but this stuffy is pretty runny that we put into the rear end, so if it sat for any length of time, the oil will drain and the original pics I posted may not show it well.

• Disclaimer - I have a ZZP Angle Drive Brace that I bought from a forum member who ended up not using it. After seeing these pics and a few others from broken angle drives, I remembered seeing a custom angle drive brace on TDS that an owner had built for his Slingshot. In addition to fitting around the drive-line/U-Joint fitting on the Angle Drive, it also extended across the width of the Angle Drive and fastened to bolts on the other side of the Angle Drive (see pic).

Here's the original thread on Slingshotforums - https://www.slingshotforums.co…hotos.176133/#post-885711.

Assuming that some Angle Drives may have some weaknesses (presumably from the casting process), I wonder if the additional bracing on the custom Angle Drive Brace might allow a weak casting to last a little longer before giving up the ghost since the extended dual mounting points at each end of the Angle Drive might reduce flexing of the Angle Drive casing by spreading stresses across a wider area. My speculation is not intended as a criticism of the ZZP brace as I intend to keep using mine since it is the best solution available and I've been interested in getting one since they were released.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• Myself and a couple people in the area have had our angle drives blow out and replaced. The new Angle drive has little to no wine to it at all and a different part number. It was replaced last year. I’m the only boosted sling out of the ones I know of. According to the dealer, It happens often. I asked about the different part number. I was informed that there is no difference in the part other than a different number. Not sure why our new Angle drives are now silent.

• reading posts from people that had 2 angle drive failures......one has to ask is it just bad luck or is it how they drive? Or maybe a bad batch of castings....

So is it just older angle drives that are failing or has there been failures in the newer models too?