Brake Help

• Finally getting the SS back on the road since we are all stuck at home. I have the Trakhamr kit and just got done installing the supercharger from DDM.

I’m worried I’m not going to be able to get this thing to stop, I’ve installed the DDM master cylinder bracket, and just got done manually bleeding the breaks all the way around including the ABS distribution block.

My peddle still feels like crap to me, anyone else have this issue and resolve? I’ve reached out to both Troy and Dave asking the same. Don’t want to throw a big break kit all the way around unless I’m 100% sure that’s it’ll make a true difference.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• [quote='MACAWS','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/9097-brake-help/&postID=305365#post305365']

If it is an air issue

I had great luck doing reverse bleeds with one of these

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G…0&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

Simple easy 1 man job

[/quote]

Tried that when I put the Trakhamr kit on have two different kits for cars and motorcycles, wasn’t helping. When I talked to Troy at Trakhamr he said best thing is to do it the good ol’ fashion pump and hold routine. That helped a ton, but still not good.

Maybe I’m just used to power breaks...

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Jeff welcome to the "World of Slingshot Insanity" When you use the @ before a forum name that sends a notice to that person. FunCycle would be the one to talk to about breaks. (The way he drives we accuse him of not using them) A not notch driver anyplace you put him. With the @ he will respond. On some of the Slingshot getting the break bleed has been a FUN job. Good Luck and Welcome.

• Maybe I’m just used to power breaks...

Jeff

This could be it, lack of power brakes does throw me, but after 1/2 hour in the seat, I get used to my sling.

Now, saying that, I spent the money to put big brake kits all the way around on mine, to assist with the issue.

However, I'd pay to get a conversion kit for power brakes, keep hoping that Dave@DDMWorks will cook us up one.

• wokka has the 4 wheel Slingshot also.

• Jeff

I have been chasing quirky brakes since day 1, it got more exaggerated with the big brake kit, mine intermittently fade for no reason and come right back up. I have tried the ABS brake bleed thru the ECM it did help some. But I am really not much of a role model cuz mine still do it.

Mitch

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Before Polaris came up with their suggestion to bleed the brakes, Noel from Cycle Springs found an easy way. Take the slingshot to an area that had a flat grass covered turf. At a slow (around 30 mph or so) hit the brakes hard to lock up the wheels. The abs motor kicks in and expels and air inside the system. You could try it two or three times to make sure it all made its way out. Then as soon as you return back home, bleed the brakes as usual (including the abs bleeder) and you'll see a firmer pedal. It's worth a try. If you can't find a grassy patch, I guess any road that has a slight sand/gravel covering will work as long as you're able to get the abs to kick in.

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Before Polaris came up with their suggestion to bleed the brakes, Noel from Cycle Springs found an easy way. Take the slingshot to an area that had a flat grass covered turf. At a slow (around 30 mph or so) hit the brakes hard to lock up the wheels. The abs motor kicks in and expels and air inside the system. You could try it two or three times to make sure it all made its way out. Then as soon as you return back home, bleed the brakes as usual (including the abs bleeder) and you'll see a firmer pedal. It's worth a try. If you can't find a grassy patch, I guess any road that has a slight sand/gravel covering will work as long as you're able to get the abs to kick in.

I also found that you could do this in reverse at slower speeds. I found this out totally by accident, after picking up my mail I always back up to get to my driveway. That does the same thing. I also just do a gravity bleed just using 1/4 inch clear tubing. Back in the day I did this every time I changed the engine oil until I finally had a full pedal on the brakes. Slip a 2 ft. piece of tubing over the bleeder and let the free end be higher than the bleeder, then open the bleeder slowly. Normally I had 3 pieces of tubing and just walked around doing this to each brake, letting about 4 inches of fluid run up in the tubing. Close off the bleeder and remove the tubing carefully. This also works with the ABS bleeder by using a 4 inch length of tubing so that you do not make a mess when bleeding and removing the tubing.

• There was an issue with air that many resolved with the various aforementioned methods. Unfortunately, a lot of Slingers still had issues after the fact and were generally told by the successful bleed crowd that they were doing it wrong. After many novel and unsuccessful attempts I still had a double pump brake. I then ran a clear tube from each brake that dumped the pumped fluid back into the brake reservoir so that I could look for bubbles. Pumped brakes a thousand times with no bubbles visible. Did the recommended ABS bleeds with no luck. I then took off a brake caliper and pulled the piston out. I found that the piston was extremely tight and that it barely moved even without the seal in place. This was causing multiple pumps on the brake pedal to move the piston. I researched the calipers and found them to be very inexpensive and made in China. Alibaba had them for 10 bucks each if you bought 1000. Obviously quality control was an issue (who would have guessed with China) and the tolerances were too tight. I dumped the calipers and rotors and put on a big brake kit. After install, bled them once from the bottom and they were hard and firm. Obviously, the air in the ABS theory was not the issue in this case. Sling has stopped like a normal vehicle for the past 3 years since doing this with zero problems.

• There was an issue with air that many resolved with the various aforementioned methods. Unfortunately, a lot of Slingers still had issues after the fact and were generally told by the successful bleed crowd that they were doing it wrong. After many novel and unsuccessful attempts I still had a double pump brake. I then ran a clear tube from each brake that dumped the pumped fluid back into the brake reservoir so that I could look for bubbles. Pumped brakes a thousand times with no bubbles visible. Did the recommended ABS bleeds with no luck. I then took off a brake caliper and pulled the piston out. I found that the piston was extremely tight and that it barely moved even without the seal in place. This was causing multiple pumps on the brake pedal to move the piston. I researched the calipers and found them to be very inexpensive and made in China. Alibaba had them for 10 bucks each if you bought 1000. Obviously quality control was an issue (who would have guessed with China) and the tolerances were too tight. I dumped the calipers and rotors and put on a big brake kit. After install, bled them once from the bottom and they were hard and firm. Obviously, the air in the ABS theory was not the issue in this case. Sling has stopped like a normal vehicle for the past 3 years since doing this with zero problems.

Makes me wonder if there is an existing bolt-on brake set from a different vehicle that uses better tolerance materials. IIRC, I've read reports of folks using modified Honda brake pads, so maybe someone can find a bolt-on piston assembly that works with the stock discs for those folks unlucky enough to have the other fixes fail to fix their brake problems.

• On a related note, with our SlingShot just turning 25,000 miles I am thinking it would be good to replace the brake fluid, and since we will be taking the SlingShot into the dealer anyways for the fuse recall, I am thinking about just getting it done at that time so they can also hook it up to their machine so to perform their "secondary brake" bleed process. I am thinking this should not take too long, but does anybody know for sure?

Thanks,

Bill

• I never have changed the brake fluid, BUT every oil change I do a gravity bleed with clear tubing on the brake system at each wheel. This is how I cured my problems before Polaris figured out how to fix it. It only takes about 5 minutes with 3 pieces of tubing.

On a related note, with our SlingShot just turning 25,000 miles I am thinking it would be good to replace the brake fluid, and since we will be taking the SlingShot into the dealer anyways for the fuse recall, I am thinking about just getting it done at that time so they can also hook it up to their machine so to perform their "secondary brake" bleed process. I am thinking this should not take too long, but does anybody know for sure?

Thanks,

Bill

You have been on here long enough to have seen my how to on this.

• On a related note, with our SlingShot just turning 25,000 miles I am thinking it would be good to replace the brake fluid, and since we will be taking the SlingShot into the dealer anyways for the fuse recall, I am thinking about just getting it done at that time so they can also hook it up to their machine so to perform their "secondary brake" bleed process. I am thinking this should not take too long, but does anybody know for sure?

Thanks,

Bill

Just checked with the dealer, $160, I think that we will just take it slow and easy, to assure we do not introduce any air into the system, and do it ourselves.

Bill

• Just checked with the dealer, $160, I think that we will just take it slow and easy, to assure we do not introduce any air into the system, and do it ourselves.

Bill

Take a loot at this https://www.brakebleeder.com/s…ding-brakes/how-it-works/

It make bleeding the brakes a 1 man job. I have used it on the sling / SXS / XUV

Simple to set up easy to use and I have had no issues

Good Luck

you got this

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• My Honda Goldwing was known for difficulty in bleeding brakes. The solution I found was to put SPEED BLEEDERS on the calipers. Made bleeding super simple one man job. Unfortunately their site did not have an SS option so I called them and they said I needed to know the size. Posted on this forum for size but no responses. Here is a like product.

https://www.revzilla.com/motor…-bleeder-for-metric-bikes