Brake pad installation help

• In the middle of trying to install the rear brake pads with ceramic Hawk pads. This is what I need help with. I have removed the plates from the pads so they are just like stock now. My problem is compressing the caliper. I have the rear brake completely slack in the cabin but for some reason the caliper will not compress enough to accommodate the new pads. Do I have to do something with The parking brake to slack it even further? I feel like the piston should compress further but it is not - any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. :/

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• In the middle of trying to install the rear brake pads with ceramic Hawk pads. This is what I need help with. I have removed the plates from the pads so they are just like stock now. My problem is compressing the caliper. I have the rear brake completely slack in the cabin but for some reason the caliper will not compress enough to accommodate the new pads. Do I have to do something with The parking brake to slack it even further? I feel like the piston should compress further but it is not - any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. :/

You need to turn the piston at the same time you compress it. There is a special tool you can purchase to do it available at autoparts stores, harbor freight, online, etc. The other option is you can use a pair of needle nose pliers, open the pliers and stick the ends into the holes on the piston. Then push and turn clockwise at the same time and the piston will start to go in. Do not try to force the piston in without turning as it can cause damage to the parking brake mechanism.

Hope that helps,

Dave

• The rear ones have to be rotated while compressed. Newer compressor tools will do this for you, however the one I borrowed from OReilly didn't have the right adapter to match up to the calipers and I mangled something together with a c-clamp and some needle nose pliers.

I did all of this without loosening any bleed screws, since I didn't want to try and bleed the system without the proper tools or knowledge.

• You need to turn the piston at the same time you compress it. There is a special tool you can purchase to do it available at autoparts stores, harbor freight, online, etc. The other option is you can use a pair of needle nose pliers, open the pliers and stick the ends into the holes on the piston. Then push and turn clockwise at the same time and the piston will start to go in. Do not try to force the piston in without turning as it can cause damage to the parking brake mechanism.

Hope that helps,

Dave

Thank you so much Dave that makes sense I will try that

• Lucky me I have the wife out to the auto parts store to pick this little Rubiks cube up !

All my life on motorcycles I’ve never run into those but then again motorcycles don’t have a rear parking brake either. Thanks so much again

• Fortunately, we as individuals have not incurred every possible situation with the Slingshot...

But, as a collective, we can share the knowledge gained.

So, post up your problems...

Read through the recommendations...

Or, apply your own solution...

Then follow-up with your fix.

Don't leave the thread and the rest of the forum hanging.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• Yep, our family is great!

SoCal, this process of turning while compressing the caliper is not new to the SS, a lot of the modern cars are using it.

Yeah but it’s new to me! 🤪

I now have the pads on and installed. The little cube will not fit the Slingshot. Sent the wife back to AutoZone rented this and this one’s the ticket !

Again thanks to all !

• we have a short trip coming up this weekend and wanted to get these things done. after I have the brakes done and shocks on and my painting projects completed I will do a gratuitous post and list all of my boneheaded extravaganzas hopefully for the benefit of others

• I just love this family. Look at all the help you are getting, but no one says, “ Let’s have a wrench day at my house” . Guess it’s cause we live so far away.

JUST SAYIN

Keep Three Wheels Down

• First off a grateful shout out to Dave of DDM Works and at wokka for being so fast with help and instructions today. Bigdog as well with video links. Absolutely incredible how you can be knee-deep in a project totally grubby pick up your phone and instantaneously have people jump in with helpful advice .

Anyone trying to install the rear brake pads it is essential that you go to AutoZone or the like and pay $60 for their rear break caliper compression kit. Once you are done bring it back and they will refund every penny you gave them. They consider it a rental. I have compressed calipers but never encountered the twist as you compress parking brake caliper. This kit makes it quick and easy.

Do Not by this one as it is too small and although versatile does not fit the rear parking brake piston on the slingshot

• 21k on my slingshot and the brake pads were at about 70% . Not bad. The new ceramics will hopefully grab better. I was instructed on the 5.0 hawk pads but I’m willing to compromise with less dust on the ceramic,

DDMWORKS 3 Way shocks installed,

Rear belt guard painted SS metallic gray😎

Painted, yes that’s correct painted my tires as well. Had seen the gloss tire paint on YouTube and decided to try it. Very happy with the results but we will see how long it lasts ....

Now I have to give her a bath !

Busy but fun day today😎