Summer vs Winter tires

• frankly I wonder about tire compounds and tire wear - - they say a harder compound will last longer - my Motivo has a UTQG treadwear rating of 560 - this is pretty high for a high performance tire and it should last longer than a tire with a rating of 200, but I suspect that these ratings are based on normal wear of a rolling tire - - where I have questions is about wear if the harder compound has less grip and therefore spins more easily and more often

If the softer tire does not break free when I punch it but the harder tire does will the spinning cause the harder tire to actually wear out at a much faster rate than the UTQG number would imply?????

does this seem logical to you?

don’t forget those numbers just like gas mileage numbers are always using the very best conditions with proper air/nitrogen pressure and does the test tire run on asphalt, rubber wheel or a metal wheel? I would say the only fair way to rate the tire would be using it on vehicles driven on highways and taking an average of several tires not just one. They drive very conservatively no rabbit starts, no donuts, no hard brakes or hard cornering...and then the fine print...your mileage may very ...

• I have the Nitto 555 G2 also on the rear and would have to agree with ability to spin that FunCycle talked about. Gets really slippery in the fall / spring when temps are still cool. thinking about going with an all season tire vs summer time next time and was looking at the BFGoodrich Comp-2 A/S. Anyone using that for an all season tire on the rear?

Going from the stock Kenda to the BFGoodrich Comp-2 A/S all the way around was a change of becoming spooked to ride the SlingShot when it was wet and/or when the temps dropped below 50 degrees to having full confidence in riding anytime in spite of the temps or weather, with the exception of snow.

Bill

• I went from the stock rear 305/30/20 Kenda to a Toyo Proxes ST III 295/40/20. This tire is well reviewed for it's rain handling and should last longer than the stock tire for sure. I don't race my SS, so high performance handling wasn't an issue. I do ride my motorcycles year round and so far I have been able to ride the SS in all temps with no problems. Haven't tried snow yet, don't want to try snow, but have survived 2 inches of snow during a motorcycle trip, so it is doable....

• I went from the stock rear 305/30/20 Kenda to a Toyo Proxes ST III 295/40/20. This tire is well reviewed for it's rain handling and should last longer than the stock tire for sure. I don't race my SS, so high performance handling wasn't an issue. I do ride my motorcycles year round and so far I have been able to ride the SS in all temps with no problems. Haven't tried snow yet, don't want to try snow, but have survived 2 inches of snow during a motorcycle trip, so it is doable....

I got like 18,000 miles out of my original Kenda and somewhere aroud 23,000 or better from the fronts

• I got like 18,000 miles out of my original Kenda and somewhere aroud 23,000 or better from the fronts

interesting - I barely got 9,000 on my original rear kenda and around 17,500 on the fronts. I suspect our very high road temperatures might be to blame - -

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I just found another Riken Raptor ZR 255-35-20 at Tire Rack. I have worn one out and now have a new one mounted, so now I have a spare. That makes 3 mounted rears plus two spares. In the beginning could not get all the miles out of a tire, with only one mounted set. So every time I went on vacation I put on a new tire. I DO NOT HAVE THAT PROBLEM NOW. Besides that worn out Kenda made a great track tire when it got hot with about 20 psi hot air pressure.

• IMHO. yes. The recommended air pressure is fine if you're riding it like an old lady would. Adjusting pressures up or down does have an effect on ride, handling and to a lesser extent, traction. But you'd experience better results and more improvements if you upgrade the stock shocks to a set of adjustable aftermarket ones. Dave @DDM works sells a great set that you can change settings for performance or a smoother "Cadillac" ride depending on your choice od settings

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE